Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Khaldore
Fire Beetle

Default Editing Newbie Equipment

After crawling the forums off and on (mostly on) all morning, I've only come across one topic here that relates to my problem, but doesn't solve it. Thus far, I've managed to find all the answers I've needed, but now I'm baffled, so here goes:

After tinkering with the emulator and database for about a week, I decided to fire up GeorgeS' item editor and change around some of the newbie equipment. One of the big things that displeased me about EQ was how poorly new characters started out, and I was hoping to revamp it a little. For example, I wanted to add a bow and arrows to a ranger's starting equipment. Anyway, most of the changes I made went smoothly, until I realized I was running out of inventory space. I figured pre-equipping items was the way to go, so...

I consulted the various wiki entries here about which slots had which 'code' (if you will) and placed the items accordingly in the DB (namely, newbie weapons in the primary hand, food/drink/bandages in the backpack, etc). After committing the changes I fired up my server and logged on. Created a ranger to test things out, and bam... nothing I had placed in the backpack or pre-equipped was there. <It seems that items set to be pre-equipped or in backpacks don't work, at least in my experience thus far.>

I'm curious to know whether this is a known issue, or if I did something wrong along the way... I'm reasonably sure I got the DB entries right, but I'm open to any and all words of wisdom at this point.

(If it helps, I'm running PEQ from CVS (about a week old now), the 992 build of EQEmu, and MySQL 5.0.37.)

Last edited by Khaldore; 06-26-2007 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Edits in <brackets>...
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 AM
mattmeck

I dont know if this was ever fixed, but it has been like this for as long as i remember.

Easy work a rounds are

Sell them for 0 on a merchant (make sure they cant sell them back!!)

create a quest NPC to hand things to them when they ask for them (make sure they cant go sell them!)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Khaldore
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the quick response, matt!

I've been doing some digging around in my Emu folder and the Wiki since I posted (mostly for reasons similar to what you listed). I know next to nothing at the moment about scripting quests and creating/modifying NPCs (and some of it looks like a massive undertaking, at least compared to what I'm accustomed to ), but I'm willing to learn.

{I have to pause here and give a huge *Thank You!* you GeorgeS... his tools (and the other tools he hosts) have already been a big help in beginning some customization, and I'm sure they'll continue to be so.}

In any case, thank you again for the reply, and I'll be sure to look into one or both of those options.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

As far as I can tell, it should work. You will want to make sure that the containers have a lower `id` number in starting_items, and then set the `slot` field appropriately based on that wiki page. Be sure that all conditions for the new entry are being satisfied: race, class, diety, zoneid, and gm.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Here is a quest I made up for each class that gives the test server starter items on the test server when /testbuff command is used, this is the one for Shadowknights but you just need to replace the name and the item IDs for each other class, although this is not perfect as any class can hail any class and get the armor but it is unusable to them and unsellable, I tried to get it to only work for each class but no matter how I formatted it any class is still able to get the armor , anyway it works and if anyone would like to fix it up be my guest...to find the items for all other classes just do a database search for test.

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY{

if($text=~/Hail/i)
{
quest::say("Hello there $name, I am here to help all new Shadowknights to armor themselves , Are you a [Shadowknight]?");
}
if(($text=~/Shadowknight/i) && ($class == "Shadowknight"))
{
quest::say("Well then lets get started, What items are you in need of? [Armor] [Weapons] or [Accessories]?");
}
if(($text=~/Armor/i) && ($class == "Shadowknight"))
{
quest::say("Well then here is some Armor to get you started.");
quest::summonitem("38079");
quest::summonitem("38078");
quest::summonitem("38077");
quest::summonitem("38076");
quest::summonitem("38075");
quest::summonitem("38074");
quest::summonitem("38073");
quest::summonitem("38072");
quest::summonitem("38071");
quest::summonitem("38070");
quest::summonitem("38067");
quest::summonitem("38065");
}
if(($text=~/weapons/i) && ($class == "Shadowknight"))
{
quest::say("Great then, here is your weapons.");
quest::summonitem("38082");
quest::summonitem("38081");
quest::summonitem("38080");
}
if(($text=~/accessories/i) && ($class == "Shadowknight"))
{
quest::say("Ok then here you are $name. May this help you in your fight.");
quest::summonitem("38063");
quest::summonitem("38064");
quest::summonitem("38066");
quest::summonitem("38068");
quest::summonitem("38069");}
}

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Khaldore
Fire Beetle

@ Sakrateri: I'll definitely keep that script in mind, it's something quite similar to what I've had in mind today.

@ FNW: Most of that thoroughly confused me, but as I post this (mind you, it's taking a while to post since I'm rewriting as I go), I'm going over the DB double checking everything you listed. So far, the only starting items I've replaced are the weapons, backpack, and light source, and I can get the backpack, light source, food, and drink to appear in the proper inventory slots just fine. So far, it's only equipped slots and slots inside the starter backpack that aren't working. I've shifted a few things around tho, so I'll test it out again and go from there.

Thanks again everyone for the pointers and tips, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

i found far easier way to give out newbee items =)

simply have a merchant selling then for price of 0 =)
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Asram
Fire Beetle

If FNW's requirements are correct, then the default newbie backpack (itemID 32601) wouldn't work well because most of the newbie gear is down in the 4-digit range. Looking at my PEQ download, none of the backpacks are lower than the basic starting gear. I can change the ID, of course, but can anyone confirm if this is still an issue?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Asram
Fire Beetle

If FNW's requirements are correct, then the default newbie backpack (itemID 32601) wouldn't work well because most of the newbie gear is down in the 4-digit range. Looking at my PEQ download, none of the backpacks are lower than the basic starting gear. I can change the ID, of course, but can anyone confirm if this is still an issue?