Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Default Things I (and you) remember from original release everquest

I think it would be important to keep a running list of our memories of release everquest and how sure we are. I think this post could be a good reference and I will keep adding to it as I play more on eqemu and spot anything that I don't rememer being there in 99.

So a pretty big thing was I remember if a guard killed your mob no matter how close it was to dead it didn't allow you to loot it or get xp.

I think there was only 2 griffons in EC but not positive.

Sand scarabs were called giant scarabs back then and were only found in nro (dunno about south) and maybe oasis.

no lions in commons, only in qeynos. No grizzlies in commons. No giant or large firebeetles. No plains cats or any other type of cats this side of the karanas besides pumas. No young pumas or plains cats and pumas, I believe, were exclusively found on sand. no armadillos (not that i see any on eqemu), no gila monsters, Everything else seems about right. Lots of crocs pathing in the water I remember my warrior friend would practically exclusively pull from under water.

I don't believe kithicor was dangerous. I remember the hardest time going from qeynos to freeport was the kodiacks and willowisps in west commons. And maybe lions. I don't remember hill giants but I may have missed them. I remember many more things aggro'd me in 99 but mabye thats because I was a cleric then and a druid now. Willowisps did aggro me back then.

There were no blue xp bar. I'm sure this point is common knowlege. Night time as a human you could see nothing except your feet even with a lantern lol. You would be very very lucky if you could follow a trail with a lantern and were staring straight down at the ground especially in faydark as that was a stark memory. Also the crushbone and unrest entry/exit was pitch black and you couldn't see where you were.

I'll keep adding to this as I remember and please add your own memories as well! This may not be a perfect resource but is certainly a resource people can use when editing databse to make a classic db.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Shendare
Dragon

One that will unfortunately be impossible to return to a classic style is the night vision. Every client after Titanium is hard-coded to give everyone Ultravision at night, no matter their race.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM
rudeboy88
Sarnak

Marcus I saw your post here and tbh I'm not of much help with this @ this point but

A wiki with some regards to the eqemu db might help you achieve what you're looking to do, I mean, at the very least if there was a wiki and a forum of dedicated players working with a pool of references pages a wiki would feasibly bring a progression server (or era locked ones) much closer to existence because it would help direct devs to what they need to adjust given what they have here.

Alla khazam and kabor both cover a lot of things with npcs, drops, zones etc. but the wiki could also cover pathing, loot tables, item changes and later additions

I was considering this idea earlier tbh but procrastinated on it (rl and whatnot) as it seemed like it would at least provide a base of information that legit server people could work from, which would take at least a percentage of their initial work out of making this happen (that is, data gathering with regards to specific eras, which is what P99 has had to do a lot of). A wiki could help mitigate that process.

not to mention the software to do it is free and with a willing community it might be a very fair chance at amassing what needs to be done in one place

tl;dr I procrastinated on making a wiki a few months ago, but I think it'd be a helpful idea still for eqemu legit servers as long as the facts were backed up and not trolled by anonymous contributors
Old 10-16-2015, 01:09 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Plus you do not have to be a rocket scientist to construct a wiki, it is just tedious work. Every few weeks I try to add another page to my wiki, just to keep the momentum going. I am overdue at this point at giving my wiki some tlc.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:21 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Quote:
So a pretty big thing was I remember if a guard killed your mob no matter how close it was to dead it didn't allow you to loot it or get xp.
I mentioned this in a thread well over a year ago. If anyone knows where this is handled, I'd like to get started on trying to change it. If you have any advice on how to proceed, please share it.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I may possibly fix this on Legacy of FrostStone in a few days, after I have an officer discussion. My thinking is it will get vetoed. Many find this as necessary on a low population server. I may fix it and add a server rule though, in case population does pick up soon enough.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Do you know where this is located off hand? I can get a head start and share what I did with you to possibly save you some time. Mobs corpses poof if no/little player damage occured so I'm guessing it'll be fairly "simple".

Quote:
My thinking is it will get vetoed. Many find this as necessary on a low population server.
I would explain to your officers how this is could be exploited heavily.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:08 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I am currently looking, but I am thinking in attack.cpp somewhere in NPC::Death
Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Thanks, I'll check that out also.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:37 PM
provocating
Demi-God

My source is different, but I think it will be here.

Code:
Mob *give_exp = hate_list.GetDamageTopOnHateList(this);
If I read that right give_exp is the actual mob that is on the top of the damage hate list. It is too close to leaving work so I cannot get into the nuts and bolts to test it, but that would be my first stop.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:42 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Ok, thanks, I'll look into it and post any results if I get any.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:07 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Maybe this could be cleaner, but it seems to work for experience gains.

I need to get the corpse to poof now.

\zone\attack.cpp(2130)
Code:
	Mob *give_exp = hate_list.GetDamageTopOnHateList(this);

if(give_exp == nullptr)
		give_exp = killer;

if (killerMob->GetID() && !HasOwner() && !IsClient() || killerMob->GetID() && !IsTempPet() && !IsClient())
		(give_exp = killerMob); // the added code

if(give_exp && give_exp->HasOwner()) {
Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Cool stuff. Happy I'm not the only one who remembers the guard xp thing. Ya a wiki would be a great idea but I'm not sure how all this stuff could be organized. I kinda think a big long running list is pretty much as easy as anything lol at least for basic game wide things. But per each zone a wiki page of changes per each zone would probably help organize which mobs need to be removed/quest items removed etc. I have run a wiki before but it was hosted on my own personal website and was a lot of work so not so sure I would be willing to do that again especially because I am going to focus mostly on learning C now to build games from scratch.