Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
strider51
Sarnak

Default Required to share source?

Hello,

Is it necessary to post any code modifications as open source because of the open source license?

If so, are there places that I can find the source to some of my favorite servers so that I can make offline versions of these servers for work travel ? (Irreverent, storm haven, etc.)

Thanks,
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

No, because the program is not distributed.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
trevius
Developer

First off, it is the source code that is open source, not the Database or Quests (which are what make custom servers stand out).

It is not required to post source code changes as long as you aren't trying to distribute/sell the software for others to run. Either way, Storm Haven and most other servers run standard source code from the google SVN and only the database/quests are modified. Some servers like THF and P99 run on their own custom source, but since they are not distributing it, they are not required to share it.

Either way, you are looking for the database and quest scripts, not the source code running on these servers. That is not available from most servers. At this time, I think only PEQ freely gives out updates to its DB and quests on a regular basis. Some other servers have given theirs in the past, like the old TZ/VZ IIRC, but most just keep it to themselves.

The short answer is "no".