Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 03-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

This is genius Kayen, I'm not really surprised cause its you, but we should streamline this into something usable by all, potentially the eqemu_update script, maybe build in import/export options into it with this in mind. Or build it into the binary we use for import/export already.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 AM
Coenxai
Hill Giant

Well continuing on this train what if we hid meditate and regenerative effects (Koadics/Regeneration) from the client? We could achieve near perfect synchronization on servers that don't utilize out of combat regen, right?
Old 03-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Coenxai
Hill Giant

Example Synchronization Video
(Could be tuned even more)

If we hide meditation, out of combat regen and spell effects from the client, we can achieve near perfect synchronization. What is everyone's stance on this? We could add it as a rule. (And it would be insanely simple and quick to add) Downside is... you wouldn't be able to see meditate in the skill window I guess?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 PM
superemu
Sarnak

After digging around in the code, I see the problem now. The client (in my case, Titanium) never tells the server how much resource it thinks the player should have. SO, the server can't possibly sync itself to the client regen.

Has anyone tried to build a client from scratch?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

The server shouldn't need to know how much the client thinks it has, in an ideal world they would tick at the same time :P (I think live actually does, no idea how :()
Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM
superemu
Sarnak

Ticking at the same time doesn't matter as much if its ticking at the same rate. The problem is - how can we sync regen rate in our situation? I have no idea what the regen rate is in the client. Does it change over time? If I knew the formula for regen in the client, I would just use the same in the server and not send an update to the client. (I'm not sending updates now and the client regen is smooth as silk. It's just regening faster than the server does.)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Kayen
Developer

Quote:
Well continuing on this train what if we hid meditate and regenerative effects (Koadics/Regeneration) from the client? We could achieve near perfect synchronization on servers that don't utilize out of combat regen, right?

The method works the same on regens and mana regens as damage over time.
As long as the server side spell table as the actual values. Just remember though messing with values in the client side spell file will cause spell descriptions to be off. Ie if you set regen to 1 instead of 100, it will display as 1 to the client.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Coenxai
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
The method works the same on regens and mana regens as damage over time.
As long as the server side spell table as the actual values. Just remember though messing with values in the client side spell file will cause spell descriptions to be off. Ie if you set regen to 1 instead of 100, it will display as 1 to the client.
Having inaccurate spell descriptions still vastly outweighs a spastic client in my opinion. It seems like I'm one of the very few that feel that way though. I don't know how it doesn't drive you guys insane. Also, server operators could always just apply fixed strings--so it would really only matter for people that would want to play regular EverQuest content.

Anyway, I won't push the matter further and just keep the changes local. Thanks a ton again for that, Kayen.