Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Splose
Banned

Default EQNextGen - RoF2 Solo Server - Coming Soon!

No snazzy introduction or anything.. It's been a year or two since I've been active on the forums, but never fear.. Your boys been in the lab whippin' the SQL harder than ever. Let's get the hype train moving, shall we?

The bullet list will be a general tl;dr.. I will go into each philosophy a little bit more below for those interested.

General Server Features:
  • Solo Content & No Bots
  • EverQuest+WoW+DAoC+Many More!
  • Intuitive Custom Quests, Spells, and Items
  • Statistics Tracking

Solo Content & No Bots:

A fairly common question that is normally asked as soon as someone starts a new server is.. How many chars do I need to do all the content on this server? What's the box limit? There are those who prefer no boxing whatsoever and then there are those special players who like to box 54 mages.

At EQNextGen we want to accommodate both types of player as much as possible. Most zones have optional instancing to keep the solo player unaffected by someone boxing around them. You have a choice between going to the public version of the zone or a "duo" instance. This alleviates a lot of issues right off the bat. For our higher-end stuff that players will need to find groupmates to complete we will be giving extra rewards the more "real" players that are in the group.

We are not officially against boxing, but we want to incentivize real grouping. So with all that said the maximum you can box is 5. To clarify you will never be penalized for boxing.. but you will be rewarded for not boxing.

As for bots, they will never exist on this server.

EverQuest+WoW+DAoC+Diablo 3+Many More!:

Find yourself wondering what this even means?

Over the past year or two that I've been inactive from the community I've gone back to many MMO's in the past that I've played (and other non MMO's as well) to objectively look at some of the elements of each game and see what I can transition to EQ.

I won't go over many specifics in this part.. But I will touch on this a bit more in the "Intuitive Spells" section.

Intuitive Custom Quests, Spells, and Items

Quests:

Ever do a Heroic Adventure on Live? Some of these simple "adventure" quests from live have more steps to them than your standard EQEmu custom "epic" quest. This game is called EverQuest isn't it? We will be implementing a WoW-type style of questing (tons of quests in each area). Each of these quests will be given full attention.. No "afterthought" quests.

Spells:

Spells are a huge part of the gameplay experience. The main thing that I think either makes or breaks a custom server is the developer's use of custom spells.

When you look at most spells I'd say 1-75ish they're all very one-dimensional. The more modernized EQ spells that they have on Live nowadays are a great example of what can now be done. There are so many spell effect mechanics already in the game that can be used to create completely unique spells that have never been thought of before. Think of EZ, Raid Addicts, and THF for good applications of this.

We want to make combat more interactive than just pressing auto attack and 1 or 2 boring spells.

Items

Dem pixels... The whole reason we play this game right? Custom spells can be combined with custom items for pretty cool results but that's old news. What are we doing different here?

Armor Sets & Weapon Rules

Not all gear in the game will follow these rules, but a lot of it will. Armor sets will always be class restricted to their type.. but weapons will be the fun part.

These item sets are designed this way to eliminate some gear overlap.

Guardian (Plate) - War/Sk/Pal
Stalwart (Plate) - Brd/Clr
Aggressor (Chain) - Rog/Bers
Loremaster - Sham/Rng
Fiercepalm - Monk
Lifebrood - Dru/Bst
Essenceweaver - Wiz/Enc/Nec/Mag

The weapons however will be more everquest-like in terms of class restrictions. There will be Fiercepalm Maces, for example, but it may not be the Monk's best choice of weapon for THAT situation. We want people switching out their gear and weapons depending on the situation they need to deal with.

Guardian - Always a defensive (tank-like) bonus
Stalwart - Always a defensive utility spell
Aggressor - Always an offensive melee bonus - Always highest base damage
Loremaster - Always an offensive utility spell
Fiercepalm - Always a flurry proc +/or melee-oriented bonus
Lifebrood - Always a heal or regen of some sort.
Essenceweaver - Always a nuke of some sort

And last but not least,

Statistics Tracking:

A lot of planning has gone into this project, and as such we don't want to be blindly scaling classes or gear. Everything is spreadsheeted and thoroughly thought out before going in-game.

We employ the use of custom systems to track many actions on our server. Once we have actual people playing on it and these systems can do their thing we will review this data on a regular basis. This will allow us to see which zones/classes/spells/mobs/etc are not killed or used as much as others and will be able to balance things objectively.

Well that's it for now guys. Keep on the lookout for us. We are currently aiming for February 1st as an official launch date.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
We employ the use of custom systems to track many actions on our server. Once we have actual people playing on it and these systems can do their thing we will review this data on a regular basis. This will allow us to see which zones/classes/spells/mobs/etc are not killed or used as much as others and will be able to balance things objectively.
Thats one hell of a utility, when it gets going. Kind of gives you an "automated" feedback
source to add to players input. (One way of looking at it)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

It's not going to be another Splose "fly by night server", is it?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 AM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
Thats one hell of a utility, when it gets going. Kind of gives you an "automated" feedback
source to add to players input. (One way of looking at it)
It was something I started to get ahead of player disputes on an old server of mine. (Player A ran in front of Player B and killed the boss while Player B cleared the whole zone). I'm gonna be evolving it as much as possible.

It's something League does a lot. They record EVERYTHING and have an entire team devoted just to data like this. We'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
It's not going to be another Splose "fly by night server", is it?
It's only "fly by night" if you play here bb
Old 01-05-2016, 06:18 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

just busting your balls bb

Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Splose
Banned

Doing some closed testing this weekend, need about 2 or 3 bros from different IPs that have Skype or some kind of voice communication. If you want to participate PM me the account name(s) you'd like to use (2 max per person) and your Skype. Will probably be running one or two more of these closed beta phases before release.. Account names will be put on a list for beta rewards. The person who participates the most will get a different reward than everyone else.

Hit me with the deetz.

Edit: Don't send me your passwords please.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Add me on skype cumbucket.

comerian1

Old 01-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Splose
Banned

In case I didn't get to you via PMs gonna be pushing this back to next weekend due to my communist IP not letting me forward port 5999 until I call their office on monday.

Gonna be getting a website up and running here soon as well so any discussion can be moved to there. A bit unbecoming to spam the emulator forums! If any of you aren't available next weekend and wanna work out another time let me know.

I currently have all the testers I need so I appreciate all the support!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:51 PM
dewmtont21
Fire Beetle

Any update on this?
Old 01-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Splose
Banned

I'll start releasing some more info soon. All discussion will be at eqgenesis.com from now on.

http://104.168.146.122/forum for now.. getting the DNS shit set up.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM
Rotted
Fire Beetle

Since the servers website is down currently, what happening to tonight's event that was supposed to start at 7pm cst?
Old 02-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Splose
Banned

Had an issue with our hosting company.. in the process of switching everything over to a new and non-nazi host.. Gonna start it tomorrow same time and extend it a day. Learned my lesson to keep the server and website hosting separate for things like this.

As a sidenote as well.. Tomorrow when the website is back up if anyone has a way of acquiring a fresh RoF2 compile please contact me there.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:31 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I'm a bit confused what a ROF2 compile is. Do you mean a fresh server compile? ROF2 is a client version, and nobody has source to that to compile.. Hmm.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 AM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
I'm a bit confused what a ROF2 compile is. Do you mean a fresh server compile? ROF2 is a client version, and nobody has source to that to compile.. Hmm.
Meant client.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:14 PM
epilz
Hill Giant

go grab the vanilla one from EZ server website