Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM
spiritchaser
Fire Beetle

Default Classic Servers

I was just curious, there is a few servers that claim era accurate npc's but there seems to be some difference in thier stats and loot tables. I assumed that a server like p99 would be the closest to being era accurate, but when I look at other servers, some of the same npc's are not even close. One example is a level 50 guard in east freeport on p99 has 11K hp's but on another server that strongly claims era accurate the same guard has 32K hp's and difference in loot tables is very significant. If I wanted to decide which server is closer to correct,would I lean towards p99 ? or believe the other ones ? Any opinions welcome.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Unfortunately p99 decided to go entirely closed source, (meaning all the server software, quests, database changes are not available). it spent a year+ working on establishing the most meticulous changes (most of which are not very well documented anywhere without heavy timemachine surfing and patch notes before p99), not to mention it did a lot of internal revamps to things such as combat to ensure a classic experience. This puts any p99-clone at a disadvantage at the start.

The new classic EQ servers are ones that are based on latest PEQ which is not focused on any classic feel with how combat, fizzle rates, spell resists, spell progression and logic among many, many other aspects are determined, as well as PEQ is focused on the OOW expansion, which Velious to OOW a lot of older content was revised in many different ways.

Because P99 is closed source, most of these folks are likely either a) doing the changes to be classic themselves or b) using a baseline that turns the PEQ baseline to a classic-like feel.

This means that trying to compare any non-p99 server to p99 is going to have plenty of oversights or inconsistencies and frankly, will always be that way unless p99 goes open source and people base their code on it. (or someone grounds up all the effort of p99 again and releases it and it is adapted for all classic servers)

p99 was a huge undertaking and it's popularity attracted many to ensure it retains a professional classic live-like experience that others servers won't be able to accomplish.

So if you are more concerned with being the closest to classic "correct", p99 will win.

Bonuses to NOT picking p99 would include things like typically better support to modern clients, maps, typically better EXP rate (p99 is actually worse EXP than live ever was), being able to outrun most NPCs without SoW (p99 sped up NPCs to unnatural levels to increase difficulty), among tons of little things everywhere including the higher probability of having custom quality of life things

My opinion, I played EQ during kunark/velious/luclin/pop era, and I feel most have rose colored glasses on how good it truly was back then... Sure, it has certain aspects everyone of course miss, especially the social community. (again, something anything non-p99 is going to lack: being able to pick up a group very easily), I personally like having little things to spice up life (custom non-legit changes) and make some of the silly history mistakes of EQ cleaned up a bit.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com

Last edited by Shin Noir; 01-12-2019 at 08:13 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 08:25 PM
spiritchaser
Fire Beetle

Thank you, that was very informative. I would never be able to do anything with mechanics in the source code or even try to be close to any kind of game play like p99, I am focusing on npc stats and loot from the classic era but when I see some other servers actually claim era accurate npc's it made me wonder which servers, who claim that have a legitimate claim. Something I am toying around with is not relevant to a total classic era, just the early part of the game, kind of customized. But I'm still learning and got many months to go to try and claim that I know what I am doing.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 AM
kokey98
Hill Giant

fwiw, p99 has a lot that isn't quite right too... e.g. sro pathing and npc's there-- maybe more about proportions than anything else.

it can't be classic in some ways, because too much info is missing. like the blindspot in your eye that your brain just fills in so you don't notice... p99 filled in some gaps too.

not criticism, just trying to help with expectations.

i'm happy to criticize someone that is willing to use other people hard work for free but not share their own, but hey... whatever floats your tuna boat. it would only be horrendously wrong if he were making money off of it, which isn't the case, so it's more like a nick burns the IT guy personality thing.

i tell you what is 100% classic -- a certain percentage displaying the most abhorent human behaviour your can encounter online, lol. "me, me, me first!" human nature, unfortunately.