Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:02 AM
imp34
Fire Beetle

Default Server Idea (ForeverQuest)

I just wanted to get your guys' feedback on how successful/popular a server with these features would be. The success of p99 Green server makes me wonder about the appeal of classic (I'm very drawn to it!), but how it could be improved upon due to the exploits of the player base "knowing" everything. Basically, I'm taking the storyline of the Kunark era and going into a different direction. Velious never happened, nor anything beyond it. The lore would shift to a war on Antonica, shifting alliances in Faydwer, and an Iksar invasion.

What if players could experience a classic "feel" but ... not know what the familiar zones are like except for the lore that's given to them when they begin?

Features:
-- Client is still under consideration, probably RoF2 for the QoL
-- Pre-luclin models only (for classic feel and to use velious armor for tiering the armor)
-- Level cap 50
-- Pre-Kunark zones only, but heavily changed with storyline (invasions, racial wars, good vs. evil, etc.). Server would change based on server-wide quests (evil winning more than good, for example)
-- No boxing
-- Some Race/class combinations opening based on storyline (Humans learning shamanism from barbarians, for example)
-- Re-experience old zones with dramatic changes, faction shifts, new/modified quests
-- Minor tweaks to classes for viability (giving wizards a line of mez spells, removing class xp penalties, ranger buffs, for example)
-- Racial Abilities (each race gets 1)
-- Night/day time cycles with vision implemented
-- Restricted UI with classic flavor
-- and more!

Thoughts? Feel free to PM me with ideas/suggestions/interest
Old 10-29-2019, 07:38 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

It is nice idea. I been working out on something like that would feel Classic in style but be something completely new. Its been in works/planning on and off since 2009 I am only getting close to Alpha

So best of luck
Old 10-30-2019, 12:23 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp34 View Post
I just wanted to get your guys' feedback on how successful/popular a server with these features would be. The success of p99 Green server makes me wonder about the appeal of classic (I'm very drawn to it!)
Regardless of what type of goals you have, it does't hurt to be selfish of what your own enjoyment will be of any kind of server you have in mind. What it boils down to, is your initial motives for any kind of server.
I'm not scared to admit, I just recently made a huge mistake, when I went to work on a project, but I woke up one day and realized I wasn't doing it for the right reasons. The type of server I was working on, just wasn't me. I wouldn't have enjoyed it. During the dev work, I found myself being dragged in a direction aimed at that infamous "popularity contest", but at the same time, dragging myself into a rut of unhappiness, so I halted the whole project and pulled something out of the closet that is closer to my own enjoyment.
There is nothing wrong with anyone who may find great enjoyment in having a popular server up on that list, if that's what really does it for someone. The "right reasons" are only limited to your own reasons. As far as getting feedback, if one is looking for feedback from the actual player community, it can be difficult on here. I'm sure a big percentage of actual players read these forums, but they seem reluctant to reply. There are several thousand out there, but only the odd stray stops by with a voice. But don't let that discourage you from your own visions and goals.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:03 PM
imp34
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
Regardless of what type of goals you have, it does't hurt to be selfish of what your own enjoyment will be of any kind of server you have in mind. What it boils down to, is your initial motives for any kind of server.
I'm not scared to admit, I just recently made a huge mistake, when I went to work on a project, but I woke up one day and realized I wasn't doing it for the right reasons. The type of server I was working on, just wasn't me. I wouldn't have enjoyed it. During the dev work, I found myself being dragged in a direction aimed at that infamous "popularity contest", but at the same time, dragging myself into a rut of unhappiness, so I halted the whole project and pulled something out of the closet that is closer to my own enjoyment.
There is nothing wrong with anyone who may find great enjoyment in having a popular server up on that list, if that's what really does it for someone. The "right reasons" are only limited to your own reasons. As far as getting feedback, if one is looking for feedback from the actual player community, it can be difficult on here. I'm sure a big percentage of actual players read these forums, but they seem reluctant to reply. There are several thousand out there, but only the odd stray stops by with a voice. But don't let that discourage you from your own visions and goals.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!

I agree -- this should be able my passion and interest since I'll be the one doing the work. But it's fun enough that it doesn't seem like work.