Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

It's VERY unfortunate WC to tell you that I'm still having the missing textures problem. (after updating to openzone 3.1 and re-exporting zones, updating zoneproxy 1.2, and after adding and recompiling the new code changes. Same results, no matter what. Even when I try to zone into zone1 or windsdungn (zones you've created yourself.)
Old 01-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I'd really like you to give it a go with minilogin just to see if there's a timing or a port issue. One thing to watch for is if you're using a firewall or router. If you are, then make sure that ZoneProxy's port 8800 is being forward to your local LAN IP.

Another thing to look for is on the world.exe's console window. You should see lines come up saying whether it found your ZoneProxy and what's going on between them. At some point world.exe should print that it got a DoneSettingZone from ZoneProxy. This means that ZP has finished copying the files.

WC
Old 01-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

Yep, I've been using minilogin to rule out latency issues between the client and zoneproxy.

Here is my sequence of activities leading up to discovering it doesn't work for me (it's a bit long):

1) Go to my everquest directory, double click ZoneProxy 1.2 and start it up.

2) Go get coffee

3) Load Miniglogin.exe
Output:

LoginServer.ini read.
MiniLoginAccounts.ini read.
Server mode: Standalone
Login server listening on port:5997

4) Load World.exe

5) Load Boot2zones.bat, wait for them to complete loading into sleep mode.

6) Load eqw.exe (I've also used eqgame patchme method), click on Connect, enter my usn/psw and select my server on the list.

7) Select my character, and when I click on 'enter world', it takes a while and sort of freezes up (I assume this is when zoneproxy is copying the zone over) and I load into the zone.

Output:

Logged in: Local: eqemu
Attempting autobootup of zone1 (99 for Krekk
Zoneserver SetZone: localhost:7995 zone1 (99
Outgoing connection made to ZoneProxy
Alias zone name: tutorial
Got SettingZone from ZoneProxy
Got DoneSettingZone from ZoneProxy
Enter world: Krekk: zone1 (99
Broadcasting a world time update
Zoneserver SetZone: localhost:7995 zone1 (99

Immediately upon zoning in I notice the textures are off... strangely off. The geometry is correct but the textures are all borked up - I have a faded (sloped) elevation on my background "mountains" which should only be different hues of the same texture based on the degrees of sloping.. instead the highest point (past the mountains) is grassy, and everything else is a rocky pattern. Without saying much more, check out this screenshot (I won't take a shot of all 3, the results are the same even using your updated sample zones released yesterday).

http://h37.bounceme.net/eqemu/zone1_textures.jpg
http://h37.bounceme.net/eqemu/infernal1_textures.jpg
(I of course tested all sample zones)

Zone.exe (zone1) output:

Connected to worldserver: localhost:9000
[Status] Weather should change in 6828 seconds
Init: Loading zone lists, zone state or spawn list, player corpses
WARNING: No Zonepoints for this zone in database found
, timezone data - Done. ZoneID = 998; Time Offset = 0
Couldn't find/read ./cfg/zone1.cfg. (returning -1)
Couldn't find/read ./cfg/zone1.cfg. (returning -1)
Corrupt (or nonexistant) zhdr file ./cfg/zone1.cfg -- fread count = -1 (should b
e 58
Using default zone header data...
[Status] Loading Objects from DB...
[Status] Loading Ground Spawns from DB...
[Status] Loading doors for zone1 ...
[Status] Done loading doors for zone1 ...
Petition 0 pettime = 1072501719
[Status] Zone Bootup: zone1 (99
Got ServerOP_SetAliasZone
Got SetAliasZone_Struct
Third-party zone: setting alias zone name to tutorial

I'm getting into the zones just fine, and as you can see the light sources are working fine as well (at the druid circle picture at the link above --zone1) .. geometry seems pretty good. Everything is set exactly as you stated to set up. I've tried using eqw and eqgame patchme, neither make a difference.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Yikes. It's like it's using the textures from the original tutorial zone instead of mine. That's really bizarre, because the textures and the zone geometry are stored in the same .S3D file. Either that, or it's having trouble reading my textures and is using default (or random) ones.

Here's a question: each time you enter zone1, for instance, are the textures (though wrong) consistent, or are they different each time you enter? I'm guessing they're consistent judging by the screenshots from last time, but I need to ask just in case the client is in fact confused and just choosing any texture.

Another possibility is to try backing up your EQ folder and changing the alias zone in zoneproxy.ini to something really different--like lavastorm, for instance. I'd be interested to see if the textures change to ones found in lavastorm or if they stay the same (or if something else happens).

There has to be an explainable cause--I'm just at a loss as to what it is at the moment -- for all I know, your client is deliberately caching tutorial to make those textures common to all zones.

Your logs look perfect to me. It's exactly what I would expect to find and it's what I'm getting (I'm using the patchme method). Another thing we can try is I can open up my ZP server so other people can log in and we can get more data points--maybe I'm the odd one out for some reason. I don't know if it means anything, but my zone IDs are 800 for windszone and 801 for zone1 -- but that shouldn't matter to the client -- all it ever sees is the ID for the alias zone.

What do you think? Anyone else have any ideas?

WC

P.S. This is how weird this is to me: the .WLD file (which contains the geometry) tells the client the actual texture filenames (xxxxx.bmp). My texture filenames have no resemblance to anything in the SOE zones, so how it's making the connection is a real mystery to me. If the filename CRC in the .S3D file was bad (or if the file was missing) the client would refuse to load the zone (I've found this out the hard way). That means the client must realize the textures are there.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

A-HA! I think I know what's wrong...

In your client, before you enter your username/password, go into Options and turn off texture caching. Apparently the client builds a texture cache on your hard drive and loads from that instead of from the .S3D file. It probably works for me because I have it off (or never had it on). Try turning it off and then see what happens.

(crosses fingers)

WC

P.S. My ZP server is up for now for anyone else who wants to try out the two zones in the OpenZone zonepack.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

w00t you'll be sure to see me playin on there..
Old 01-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I definitely won't have it up all the time since it's on my dev box but its up at the present moment (meaning tonight at least). I'm typing this on my lapotop.

WC
Old 01-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

VOILA! That did it. Man I'm nearly embarassed I didn't notice this myself / check this option

Thanks for your 9,183 hours of frustration figuring this one out WC, lol
Old 01-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I'll be leaving my ZP server up all night so if you want to explore, feel free. just dont get eaten by the bears or goblins :lol:

Hint: create an ELF. The way to the new zones is in gfay (there's a way back, too)

Hint #2: Theres a concealed grassy path that leads through the mountains to a hidden area with even more powerful goblins...

Hint #3: the server is semi legit and you can summon equipment...

WC
Old 01-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Shadow-Wolf
Dragon

hehe had a hard time finding #2 =P