Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Jed
Fire Beetle

Default Step 1 of the Readme Changing eqhost.exe Help Please!

I have just installed Everquest Titanium and have an account registered and ready to go on EQemulator
Everytime i go into my everquest Directory to try to change eqhost.exe, the file will not let me save it or change it.
I have tried both before and after the patch with no luck. it just will not let me change this stupid file.
i have tried changing it to:

new.eqemulator.net:5998

[Registration Servers]
{
"eqlogin1.eqemu.net:5999"
}
[Login Servers]
{
"eqlogin1.eqemu.net:5999"
"eqlogin2.eqemu.net:5999"
}

and

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

no matter what i try, it will not let me change it and it just goes back to its old hosting server. i get the message

Cannot create the C:/Program Files/Sony/everquest/EQhost.txt file.
Make sure the file and Path name are correct.

I am working with a new Windows XP laptop. AMD turion Dual core processor.
If someone could provide any insight or a link to a useful chatroom, i would be so grateful.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM
kavren
Sarnak

This sounds vaguely familiar. If I remember correctly, when I was having the problem, the eqhost.txt file would revert to something slightly different than it's original content. I can't remember what the answer to my problem was, but I remember that I searched the forums with the exact text that eqhost.txt was overwriting my changes with and after a while I stumbled across a fix. Either that or I made the changes to the eqhost.txt doc and then changed the permissions on the file so nothing could write to it anymore.

What ever the answer for you is, please post. I would like to see what the solution is. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
trevius
Developer

Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998
That is the one you need to use, not any of the others you posted. Also, you mentioned trying it before and after patching, and just so you know, EQEmu will probably not work now since you patched. Even patching for a second will break it. You need to run a fresh install of EQ directly from the disks from either Titanium or SoF.

Also, for your file issue, you should be able to right click on your desktop and create a new .txt file there. Then, name it "eqhost.txt" and put the required info in it. Then, simply copy that file to your EQ folder and overwrite the existing one. That should let you run just fine. Again, before this, you are almost certainly going to need to uninstall EQ and delete the whole folder it was installed in and then reinstall it fresh from the disks.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Jed
Fire Beetle

Woot! got it to work!
I had to uninstall and reinstall EQ, followed by creating the eqhost.txt right on the desktop. Vista comes with some security program that will not allow you to alter programs without your permission, and it was not even giving me the option to allow my changes to my EQ client file. As i stated, made the updated EQhost file on the desktop, and then dropped it into my EQ folder, which finally forced it to ask me if i wanted to change it. i did and deleted the old EQhost file. i had some trouble after this with the name EQhost.exe. it was not wanting to launch. i changed the name back to its original, EQhost, with the updated server orientation and finally worked.

Thanks alot guys. i spent my whole day trying to figure it out and wouldn't have been able to do it without your wisdom.