Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

They have forums: http://classicbetatest.guildlaunch.c....php?gid=62867
Pretty good player base, there's a lot of little annoyances but some are good. Some however (in my opinion) are crippling the melee player base, but who knows, we'll see what happens in the end.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 PM
bigcountry23
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by szalab View Post
Oh by the way, how if the Enchanter scene looking on the server?

That was my original main character and despite the chance of starting anew I don't think this old dog wants to learn any new tricks. But if if there is a serious shortage of another class on the server I would rather be useful than a clone.

Oh, and are there enough people playing the evil races???

I'm so damn excited!!!
I have seen several chanters. I think there is a lack of evil races due to the penalty on Ogre/Troll, but I have seen some. I would say if you want to be a DE enchanter you will not be a clone or in the majority at all.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
kavren
Sarnak

Will the Secrets Of Faydwer client work with this server?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 AM
eqemuross
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavren View Post
yes it will
Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavren View Post
It has some random issues, such as don't use their spellfile they tell you to use... It's not compatible with SoF. Keep to your old one. (However, don't trust the level of spells on SoF file, remember back to old days)~
If you do use their spellfile in SoF, you'll get a "can't cast on target" sort of error.

Seems freeport mobs come up as humans instead of bats.
Some advantages of it though are.. You can use maps on every zone, while titanium only in newb zones. you can use luclin models too if you want.

Every time you attack if you have mana, you may see your mana decrease on soF. (it's an update bug with how they tweaked stamina drain, mana isn't really going down).
Max mana if you go a hybrid may come up as 64% on SoF. (They can't get max mana).

So yeah, SOF isn't supported... but.. it works. XD

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
szalab
Fire Beetle

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
It has some random issues, such as don't use their spellfile they tell you to use... It's not compatible with SoF. Keep to your old one. (However, don't trust the level of spells on SoF file, remember back to old days)~
If you do use their spellfile in SoF, you'll get a "can't cast on target" sort of error.

Seems freeport mobs come up as humans instead of bats.
Some advantages of it though are.. You can use maps on every zone, while titanium only in newb zones. you can use luclin models too if you want.

Every time you attack if you have mana, you may see your mana decrease on soF. (it's an update bug with how they tweaked stamina drain, mana isn't really going down).
Max mana if you go a hybrid may come up as 64% on SoF. (They can't get max mana).

So yeah, SOF isn't supported... but.. it works. XD
Those don't sound too too bad... annoying a bit maybe... but I could work around that and I like the idea of maps on every level (though I bet I still remember the old zones after so many years hiatus).

I'm assuming it would be easy enough for me to uninstall and replace with the Titanium client if I decided I'm sticking with it for the long haul and it's worth the extra purchase. There would be no issues, Right?

I think I might do the DE Enchanter then! I actually avoided the DE race completely when playing EQ1 and 2. It was the only race I just could never get behind so.... why the hell not!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Yeah, I have both SoF and Titanium installs on my box. You can go back and forth easily, just be sure they're clean installs, then modify the nektulos files, and update the titanium copy with the proper spellfile. (I wrote a switcher for spellfiles if you plan to play multiple servers).

When you start off as DE Enchanter, I really recommend avoiding Nektulos Forest. Run down to East Commons. Unless they fixed a LOT of issues, the bugs of that zone are insane. Mobs are assisting other species in the wrong way, and it's creating a slew of difficulty problems. Death is inevitable in Nektulos.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

I've never even tried to use SoF, so I hope Shin answered your question

Quote:
Unless they fixed a LOT of issues, the bugs of that zone are insane.
Nektulos Forest faction should be fixed... and I responded to each of the posts with "fixed, pending update" in the Faction forum.

http://classicbetatest.guildlaunch.c...9049&gid=62867

http://classicbetatest.guildlaunch.c...5457&gid=62867

New forums are almost set up.. the ones from beta have *got* to go. Confusing and can barely search. A changelog of things would help.. but honestly there's been so many little db things over the past week, it would have set development behind just to list them all.

Organization is in our future, sorry for the general confusion.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
trevius
Developer

To create a spell file that is compatible with all clients, you just need to import the spells into the spells_new table and then export it using the scripts that are included (the ones AndMetal created). That will make a spell file that has all of the fields to work with SoF, but since the spell files are backwards compatible, it would work for all previous clients as well.

I wasn't aware of the odd mana use bug, but I am sure it is something that can be fixed. Sometime in the next few months, I am planning to level up a 2 or 3 box group using SoF only and hopefully I can identify and correct most of the remaining minor issues with the SoF client.

As for certain races showing up as humans in zones like Freeport and a few others, you should be able to just fine the _chr.txt file from a Titanium install for that zone and use it to replace the file in the SoF folder. So, for example, you would fine the freportw_chr.txt file in the Titanium install folder and just copy it and paste it into your SoF folder. That should resolve the race issues for that zone.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I think the mana update bug is exclusive to P1999, as I haven't seen it on other servers w/ SoF. P1999 did a few alterations in the back end that have been noted over time (such as hybrids only having 64% max mana, the out of drink/food mana regeneration hacks, etc) and they don't officially support SoF so side effects are inevitable, ya know? I don't blame em, nor do I even really document them since it's one of those unintended side effects.

Personally I think for P1999 it'd be best to just disable the opcode acceptance of SoF clients so players can't log in using the client, just so you can focus on titanium support as you did initially. Since it seems map viewing support can't be disabled on SoF, and luclin graphics can always be on, it means that SoF is kind of an unfair advantage to titanium on the P1999 servers.

But then again, I have a friend who only owns SoF and would not be able to play with me on P1999 if this blocking of SoF occured on P1999. So it probably isn't an ideal thing.

Does anyone know why players are able to create names that are all lowercase? (no upeprcase first letter names?) I keep seeing them pop up on various servers. I was curious how they're managing that, I'm guessing an injected packet during character creation to bypass the forced upper letter on client then the server isn't verifying it properly..?

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 PM
seamerc
Fire Beetle

For getting SoF set up to use with P1999, I did what Trevius said for the spells file. I did an import and export using the perl scripts that come with the emu server code. I had a server setup that I was playing with previously.

As far as the human models in some zones go, you need it to load the right resources for the zones. The easiest way I found was to do a copy from my titanium install, all the nro, freportn, freportw, and oasis files to my SoF install. The important thing, if the file exists in the SoF install, DO NOT overwrite. You are wanting the files that do not exist in SoF. They excluded some files containing model information from the zones that have been revamped. It would probably work if you had an old version of EQ installed, and install SoF over it the same. I might do a wipe of that install, and put my old trilogy version on, then install SoF over it to test. But since the issue revolves around missing files, it should work fine.

If you can figure out other zones that contain the models you need, you can probably set up just some chr files to put in the proper associations. I know Trevius has a batch file for his server that does alot of this. I tried that, and was missing models from some of old zones used in classic.

I do see the hybrid bug with mana bar not going to full in the client. I don't know how much of an issue that is as I have not got my SK high enough level to actually be able to use spells yet. My mana bar on my caster shows fine. It may be due to the SK not having the need for mana yet, so not sure how significant of a problem it is.

After I got SoF set up, it works great. The spells file was biggest problem, but once I had a working one for SoF all was well.

Haynar
Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
haynar
Developer

I went ahead and wiped my SoF install. Put a fresh install of Trilogy on. Then installed SoF to that same folder. Logged in to P1999 and checked a few of the problem zones, and I had no model problems. So that would be another fix for using SoF, provided you have a version of older EQ to install as a base.

Haynar

Last edited by haynar; 10-17-2009 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

you can always fix the missing models by writing needed lines by hand (only 5-6 zones that were rewamped are missing those entries), or simply make all models global at once
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM
haynar
Developer

I really was just looking at other options, where it wouldn't be necessary to edit any files. Trying to take the minimalistic approach, to getting things to work. I agree that global loading is an option too.

Haynar
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
kavren
Sarnak

Quote:
For getting SoF set up to use with P1999, I did what Trevius said for the spells file. I did an import and export using the perl scripts that come with the emu server code. I had a server setup that I was playing with previously.

As far as the human models in some zones go, you need it to load the right resources for the zones. The easiest way I found was to do a copy from my titanium install, all the nro, freportn, freportw, and oasis files to my SoF install. The important thing, if the file exists in the SoF install, DO NOT overwrite. You are wanting the files that do not exist in SoF. They excluded some files containing model information from the zones that have been revamped. It would probably work if you had an old version of EQ installed, and install SoF over it the same. I might do a wipe of that install, and put my old trilogy version on, then install SoF over it to test. But since the issue revolves around missing files, it should work fine.

If you can figure out other zones that contain the models you need, you can probably set up just some chr files to put in the proper associations. I know Trevius has a batch file for his server that does alot of this. I tried that, and was missing models from some of old zones used in classic.

I do see the hybrid bug with mana bar not going to full in the client. I don't know how much of an issue that is as I have not got my SK high enough level to actually be able to use spells yet. My mana bar on my caster shows fine. It may be due to the SK not having the need for mana yet, so not sure how significant of a problem it is.

After I got SoF set up, it works great. The spells file was biggest problem, but once I had a working one for SoF all was well.

Haynar
Do you have a copy of the "adjsuted SoF" spell file for download somehwere? If not, where do I find the perl script you used?