Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:58 PM
kavren
Sarnak

Default other players movement is jumpy

I've had this problem over 2 different servers that I have built. When I (or any other person) logs in, the bots walking around is smooth and fine. But when I view a different player moving, their movement is *jumpy*. Their move speed is fine, but it's like the avatar lags a bit as the player moves forward in the game, and then the avatar *jumps* the few feet to where the player actually is in the game.

Is there a way for me to fix this?

This was across two separate servers and with multiple client box's.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

If you have AMD CPUs have you tried running any of the patches mentioned throughout the forums? This usually fixes any weird animation issues in the game.

Only other thing I can think of is if the server has some background tasks running that are somehow spiking the CPU use. Virus scanners, task managers or other.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Drakson
Fire Beetle

I tested this on my server; I could not replicate the problem. Can you give details on when it happens? Example; is it always in a certain part of a zone, or when a lot of spells are being cast in an area?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

It's just a update issue. The server is guessing the player is still moving forward since he was just a second ago, but then the client updates the server saying "No wiat! I'm here.. I stopped!" and server goes "oh, ok!" and sends off a packet to other clients on the new found position. I see this on all EMU servers, especially if the player has selo's etc

When I run my dev box with zero lag (server and client on same machine) I still get these update position glitches.

What's a lot of fun is when you mez a mob that was running forward, clients will not get the update they stopped moving from the server and they will ghost run forward for a long time until a position update occurs (like an idle animation or another Pos Update). Some times the mezzed mob will be out of sight before you get the next packet update. lol The server however knows exactly where the mob is mezzed and it is really there, your client just isn't getting the proper "Stop" update.

Mobs and bots are more predictable on their movement patterns when not the above situation since they're ran on the server, so they know when they're going to stop etc. Only time they may do a wonky pattern is when chasing a client, they don't know their destination entirely since it's based on what the server thinks you're doing. This is why you can tell if you're lagging by watching a pet chasing you. The pet is chasing where the server thinks you are, if you have latency issues your pet will stand around chasing your ghost essentially.

Just need some better update position on servers I think~ But that makes network traffic increase a lot

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM
kavren
Sarnak

Thank you for the reply, that answers my question! =)