Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Tangeleno
Sarnak

Default Point system for items

First off sorry if this should be some where else.
Secondly I plan on putting together a custom server, and well to make items as balanced as possible, I decided to make a table with various stats and such and assigning a point cost to each. Would really like some input about this. http://www.geocities.com/tangeleno238/table.html

Sorry for the outside link but I couldn't Get the table to work properly.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:14 AM
govtcheeze
Hill Giant

This is one of the best ways to do it to keep balance, as long as all of your builders adhere to it. I used this system when I developed a MUD (back in the day) . As we are running a free project, and not trying to raise the anty with every expansion to keep people buying it, I think a truely balanced EQ server would be much more appealing than the current system on live.

Best to set guildlines and stick with them, ie:

All mobs of the same level have approx the same HP (with a random() thrown in ), based on class
All items of the same level have the same max point total
No item should ever have more than X points, ever. Ever. EVER!

It is probably easier to work backwards, so start with X Players in the best gear should have a challenge with hardest_mob_y for your max values and work your way back to 1.

I actually had coded all of my items' stats to be generated on the fly, which would be a major overhaul of the EQ engine.

Developer of the original (circa 2004):
Loots v2.0, bitch!
Faction v1.0, bitch!
Magelo-like clone v0.3, bitch!
Zone geometry and spawn/path viewer, bitch!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Tangeleno
Sarnak

Thats acctually what I was thinking about doing now to just figure out the max points and such... any way with the databases and such to see the hp,stats,atk and such on mobs? Sorry if it is a stupid question still new to the whole thing.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:26 AM
haloboycs
Sarnak

At first I didn't understood what was table + cost was for, til I studied table a bit. I finally understood, are you trying to like a item (say, a sword) cost 100 points, and it would be 100 hp, 100 mana, 10 str, 10 sta, 12 dmg 28 dly?

What i think is you need some sort of multiplyier, take a look at flowing thought, if you make item with just +10 mana regen (nothing else), it only 100 points...

give it multiplyier to make it would be balanced out nicely.

-- Just an idea for balancing --
10 for ft1 (10 x 1)
40 for ft2 (20 x 2)
90 for ft3 (30 x 3)
140 for ft4 (40 x 4)
1000 for ft10 (100 x 10)

but it depend on how you want your point system go.

The chart was a good start, tweak it a bit more.

*edit - i have no idea if the chart was for ready-made items, or planning to make custom items*
Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Tangeleno
Sarnak

Table works like this
Ans Fiel'Tian:
Dmg 15, Dly 28. +3 Str, +3 Sta, +3 Agi, +3 Dex, +3 Wis, +3 Int, +3 Cha

Ans Fiel'Tian would have a point cost of 106 points (based on my system) 50 points for the 5 points of damage above 10, 20 points for the delay 2 points under 30, and 6 points for each stat increase since they are all +3. So as by your example yes a FT of 10 would be 100 points. I should add a multiplier to that to equal it out. And thats why I asked for help I'm sure it still needs some more tuning but all input from others to help balance it out would be great. Thinking about tuning down the cost for higher damage and lower delay...