Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:24 AM
obsoletelife
Fire Beetle

Default irreverent server

Has the server gone down for good? I keep trying to connect but no dice. And their website has changed and gives no info. I haven't played in many, many years and just wondered.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:37 AM
provocating
Demi-God

He was hacked quite a long time ago. I do not think the server ever recovered after that.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:31 PM
obsoletelife
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the info. Guess it's time to find another similar server.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:32 PM
bigcountry23
Fire Beetle

Check out Casual Dreams. It is the closest to Irr I have seen in years.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM
rudeboy88
Sarnak

RIP :( Will have to check out Casual Dreams, just saw that the other day on the listing.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

CD is pretty fun mage/necros are op mage more because they can get the mage epic pet at 45 via #scribespells lol
Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 AM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

Irrev's server is gone indefinitely.

What Provocating said.

He was hacked, badly enough that he didn't bother to rebuild or even make any sort of announcement. He half-heartedly offered to sell his hardware and database changes on his forums before those were taken down, but that was mainly because he was so angry at seeing years of his hard work ruined.

The escalating drama behind the scenes there too did not help matters either, and suitable developers never emerged to pick up the slack, nor even a good GM replacement for Irrelevant, after he finished his studies.

My wife and family (later) played there for many years, and were there right at the beginning, and then at the end, so we all especially miss it, and have lost touch with Don now altogether.

There really is no substitute, but the new breed of solo/duo servers coming up are all worth a look, to see if they fit your personal preferences and playstyles. There are only a few to choose from at the moment, and they each have strengths and weaknesses.

Prop's to Irrev and to Djeryv (name from the past) for all their efforts.

Both are sorely missed around here.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakaleca View Post
Irrev's server is gone indefinitely.

What Provocating said.

He was hacked, badly enough that he didn't bother to rebuild or even make any sort of announcement. He half-heartedly offered to sell his hardware and database changes on his forums before those were taken down, but that was mainly because he was so angry at seeing years of his hard work ruined.
He did make several announcements on the irreverentlabs forums. I was going to ship him a newer OS as he was still running XP. He said he was interested, but when I asked for an address (his, nearby FedEx or UPS Store) he never got back in touch with me.

It's possible he simply gave up and moved on to other things, or perhaps he wasn't backing up his modifications to a separate location and lost everything as a result of the hack. Whatever the reason it's a shame that he couldn't work out an alternate hosting option.