Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaojo View Post
WB Drak! Amped up to see the new vision come to life. I've enjoyed and learned a ton from tinkering with the Eriviyn server.

I for one would welcome a return to a more original Varyndria version. Of course, I also have always liked your donation systems as well. Either way, I'll be there!
Thank you for the warm welcome! Ruinspire is going to bring back Nostalgia for people who played the original Varlyndria. I have a lot of ideas for it. Including a custom undead infested Unrest. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayKitri View Post
Hey Drak,

Welcome back. It looks ambitious so hopefully it turns out as hoped!
Thank you! I'm going to make sure this server strikes home to new players and veterans alike who want a fun experience.

UPDATE

I have been hard at work on designs and ideas as well as getting to learn the UI and controls for GMing the server again. I have a test bed now so things are underway.
Here are some things I am looking at doing with the server I haven't told anybody yet:

Instanced Raiding with a lock on the original zone..
- Multiple raids planned within a tier so you don't just go to one place for gearing until next update.
- Each raid will have progression to get to the next tier.
- I would like to release 3 or more raids every content update.
- This will allow players to get into raids every week with no competition of a single zone.
- Restricts bosses from being farmed for all loot in 1 day.
- Adds carrot on the stick value.
- Raid bosses will be well scripted.
- Removes elitist attitudes of 'WE OWN THIS ZONE.'

Dungeons and Solo Content
- Dungeons will be very solo/single group friendly and provide good gear upgrades.
- Dungeons will get players ready for raiding.
- Content updates and new raids will also provide some new dungeons that will get players caught up a little bit.
- Content update dungeons will NOT make the previous raid update content obsolete but they will make them easier to go through.
- Dungeons will eventually make VERY OLD raid content obsolete.

Raid Loot - Making it fun
- Killing bosses should be rewarding.
- I plan on having augments to empower your path items drop.
- I plan on having quest items drop that can get you more PATH powers to really strengthen your character.
- There won't be random clicky effect items I am going to make that path powers only and very special to have.
- Paths will have end-game upgrades. Example: Path Epic Weapons, a new armor piece with path powers etc.
- There won't be any class specific gear besides path related stuff. This will make itemization development a lot more flexible and not so restrictive.

Secondary Item Affixes
- All secondary item affixes on all gear will be completely removed for balancing reasons.
- Only path gear will have a clicky added to it.
- One piece of gear with an OP affix that makes class X OP shouldn't be in the game.
- Secondary Affixes will ONLY be put on augments that ALL classes can use and they will be very rare, trade fiendly, lore and attuneable.
- Secondary Affixes are things like: Kick Damage, Bash Damage, Cleave IV, Improved Heal, Improve Damage, Haste, Hp Regen, Shielding, Clickies etc
- This makes affixes and augments have incredible value and it also makes it where gear is not so dependent on a certain affix over another allowing more flexibility.

Primary Stats on Gear
- Being lowered by 50% on all items.
- Gear with good stats will be hard to find.
- Stats are based on EQ rules and don't have such a huge impact on dps.
- Makes augment Affixes very sought after for power increases.

Class Path Items
- Path items will scale based on level up to max level. You will no longer have a charm vastly inferior to a ring in stats etc.
- Path item clicky spells will scale based on level.
- Path spells will be SLIGHTLY stronger than other powers based on the item clicked but nothing like Eriviyn where it felt your charm/powersource spells were useless.

Skills and Class Vision
- All classes will have taunt.
- All classes will have 5% base critical strike chance.
- All classes will have bash/slam
- Every single class is now considered a THEME and will have the option to be any role through paths.

Alternate Advancement (AA's)
- Being removed completely.
- Causes massive balance issues and doesn't fit the theme of the server.
- Server is focused on paths not the original class which can now fit any role.
- Saves a headache on development and lets me focus on paths.

Crafting
- Being removed completely.
- Only causes confusion and is a pain to balance with dungeon/raid content.
- Most players hate crafting and it takes too long.
- Not having crafting as an option will feel like freedom and focus players on adventuring for gear.
- Let's me focus easier on content that matters.
- Makes merchants and items found that can be traded more valuable.
- Crafting items will be removed from loot tables, merchants and deleted completely.
- Fishing will be disabled.
- Quests involved in crafting will be removed.
- NPCs selling crafting items will be removed.

Normal Class Epic Weapons
- Being completely removed.
- Classes are now considered a theme with many roles so epic weapons do not fit them.
- Path Epics will be added later.

Set downtime schedule..
- I plan on having a weekly downtime period starting on friday afternoons MST.
- The goal is to eliminate sporadic restarting so players can enjoy the server with no worries.
- This includes content updates so players can get excited about every friday probably having something new.

Homogenization in Paths
- This server is about personal flavor and theme (different particle colors, various minion types, elements or whatever you enjoy)
- Some paths might play the same but I will do what I can to make things different from each other.
- I expect a lot of paths to feel the same mechanically (not fantasy) but that's to be expected with this much variety.
- Play the game and have fun with the fantasy of your class path and don't worry so much about mechanics. I am not here to re-invent the wheel.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Durge
Sarnak

You have some really interesting ideas here (and bold ones!). This might contradict my earlier post a little, but since you're removing things like crafting, aa, etc., the raid bosses and fights themselves will be highlighted and focused on even more. Might be an unneeded warning, but even if you scale down the release rate, I would much prefer custom and intricate fights over tank and afk.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durge View Post
You have some really interesting ideas here (and bold ones!). This might contradict my earlier post a little, but since you're removing things like crafting, aa, etc., the raid bosses and fights themselves will be highlighted and focused on even more. Might be an unneeded warning, but even if you scale down the release rate, I would much prefer custom and intricate fights over tank and afk.

That's the plan for sure - less focus on content that doesn't matter and more focus on dungeons, raids, quests, boss fights and stuff that does. I remember sitting there for 5 days working on crafting items for Eriviyn and the system was barely used at all. I got many complaints saying 'I don't like crafting.. why do I have to do it for augs?' I felt like I added something that was totally throwing people off the path that mattered. Personally, if you think about it, even in WoW right now the crafting system is almost pointless besides a few pieces of gear (locked to 3 max) and crap like mounts and toys.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Durge
Sarnak

While I was one of the few people who did the crafting, I do agree that a majority of players don't want to do it heh. Since you're removing AA, are you going to focus a lot on revamping the combat abilities for melee classes?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
While I was one of the few people who did the crafting, I do agree that a majority of players don't want to do it heh. Since you're removing AA, are you going to focus a lot on revamping the combat abilities for melee classes?
A large majority of dps will be path related for melee classes. Clickies, buffs that are granted etc will get them up there with other dps. On top of it, the Augments with Affixes will have ways to make them better too. I can imagine Haste Augments are going to be very sought after. As far as multiple attacks and things that come with AAs: It depends on the path role and gear upgrade.

Example would be: Warrior Pet-Less DPS path gets a helmet quest from a raid. The helmet adds a buff that increases his attacks by 2 more (AA) and some other kind of buff. I need to be careful though with a lot of this because things can get really unbalanced quickly. (reason I am taking out AAs completely) I imagine there will be path updates frequently. I plan to parse things however and get them as close as possible on single target.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Durge
Sarnak

Sounds good! I'm excited to try them all out.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Sounds good! I'm excited to try them all out.

I have a lot of great stuff coming.

I have decided that the augments with affixes players find and trade will be attuneable to make them even more rare. Which will add even more value to selling them to other players. - This might require a script/custom source though. I'll check into it.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 PM
nenelan
Hill Giant

Curious to see what you have in store. I've enjoyed most of yours in the past. Hopefully you can keep the mudflation down for a bit more staying power.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

So, Erivivyn again....with a new name.....for 3 weeks.

Pass.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:00 AM
Thorkinal
Sarnak

/Delete:Maze_EQ
Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Thorkinal
Sarnak

I have a simple solution to your problem/negativity, Don't play there, don't view the forums with his server as the topic, avoid posting your opinions. Whether the scenario plays out as you've laid before us doesn't matter. If you care to be constructive by all means, if not then just disappear, no one cares for your demeaning posts that belittle developers, Enjoy your Monday.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
DanCanDo
Discordant

Whats up with the flaming ? I assume the moderators allow this kind of immaturity on
these forums ? Unbelievable. It's one thing to make an opinion but throwing out prejudged accusations and conspiracy theories ? Seriously maze dude, grow up.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

DanCanDo....

You haven't been here long huh?

All 3 times the EXACT SAME scenario happened.

People are gonna donate $100s of $$ just to lose everything in a few months.

It's reoccurring.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCanDo View Post
Whats up with the flaming ? I assume the moderators allow this kind of immaturity on
these forums ? Unbelievable. It's one thing to make an opinion but throwing out prejudged accusations and conspiracy theories ? Seriously maze dude, grow up.
I disagree on all points. Servers come and go and on a number of occasions people have ranted about servers showing up, being really fun, and then suddenly vanishing without a trace. I'm sure some of those people have experienced that multiple times and it is entirely possible that it has frustrated some to the point that they quit playing on emu servers.

The bottom line is that there are no SLAs on servers; no guarantees of any kind. I find it helpful to get some back history on server admins that have shown a trend of putting up servers, running them a bit, and then shutting them down.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:43 PM
EQBasic
Fire Beetle

Obviously this person has done some good things in the past since he has got a warm
welcome back. The post specified no donation system. But obviously nobody is forced
in to donating to anyone. It does cost money to run a server, but no one is obligated
to contribute financially, from what I can see on these servers. From what I have read
servers come and go all the time. But newcomers are not going to get a good first
impression reading threads like this.