Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailow View Post
I like what you're doing with it so far, Drak. Keep it up! As I said earlier, we can wait for you to balance stuff and make sure its something that will stick with us like Varlyndria did.

I never got to really experience varlyndria because it went down, no joke, about a week after i started playing it and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Do you mind indulging me what the server was like?

Varlyndria was my very first server. It had very minimum touches to it and was mainly all PEQ. It started with 48 class paths who gave a simple charm that upgraded your character with a buff, Pet or nuke you could click. (rather simplistic), it also had the ability to have your own party (5 bots) and minions that you would HAVE to have a full group to take down. It overall was a pretty big hit. I added a lot of custom zones and had some pretty crazy world bosses. You could just play normal EQ with paths and a story I made added for flavor and fun. I plan on following this type of play with Ruinspire (with more options than just 1 charm though) and the ability to take on multiple class roles so solo and grouping is more fun and easier to progress. I will not be doing the 5 bots though, 2 bots is the max in Ruinspire to save on server stress.

There are probably some other things I am missing that a true die hard fan of the original server could share with you.

EDIT: Ruinspire is going to be the Varlyndria I always wanted to do when I first started but didn't have the knowledge, experience or help that I have now to do.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Just wanted to share a few more paths with everybody. I am currently working on wizards right now. I put a lot of thought into these paths to make sure they fit the class theme role as best as possible.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I HAVE PLANNED FOR THESE THREE PATHS BELOW.

SAVAGEBORN
This is going to be a beastlord theme pet dps path. I plan on making it where players get their racial warder model but the pet is super enhanced and it will also have an aura to make it look really powerful. The path will focus heavily on the pet for dealing damage but also have some attacks the Savageborn can toss in.

PUPPET MASTER
This is going to be a (darker) bard theme pet dps path. The current plan is it will have major burst damage with puppet/marionette swarmers (not spammable) while its gingerbread puppet wreaks havoc on the world. It will also come with songs that haunt and tear at the souls of enemies.

FROSTBITER
This path just made sense to me. When you really think about it cold is a perfect element for controlling enemy minions like a normal EQ enchanter does. That's exactly what the Frostbiter does best. They are going to have a good amount of control with some moderate single target dps for bursting down the tank's target.

I hope you enjoyed this preview. Please click on my signature and sign up on the forums to follow the progress of server development and get any questions you want asked when I have time to answer you.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:22 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Did you get permission for those pictures you ripped off? They are straight from Magic the Gathering.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiller View Post
Did you get permission for those pictures you ripped off? They are straight from Magic the Gathering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiyth View Post
NOTE: All path art is under re-use for non-commercial creative commons projects.
Drak can you post a link to where you pulled the photos as well as where the CC license is mentioned.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

I could be wrong but I would doubt he contacted them. I also would have a hard time thinking their art is Creative Commons.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=366460

g. Trademark and Copyright Notification. Unless otherwise indicated, all trademarks appearing on the Websites and Services are the property of Wizards of the Coast LLC or its parent Company, Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. All artwork, images, text, proprietary software and other copyrightable images are the copyrights to Wizards. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrightable content are the property of their respective owners and used under license.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
daerath
Sarnak

And the original images include the Wizards of the Coast LLC trademark (bottom left) and the artist's name, William Murai (bottom right). The ones posted here have been cropped to remove those, so....
Old 05-25-2016, 09:22 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

See this copyright? Not supposed to steal without giving the artist credit. He did this shit a long time ago and got called out on it.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Same habits as the past, will probably do the same things with the server....abandon it when he gets bored of it. History has a way of repeating itself.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiller View Post
Same habits as the past, will probably do the same things with the server....abandon it when he gets bored of it. History has a way of repeating itself.
I'm honestly not sure what I did to you or what but having the viciousness in your post is completely uncalled for when I do these little art path pics it's to help with the fantasy and is technically a forum picture not used in any game directly.

If I was to say make an RPGmaker game where the pic is used directly in that project I would include the artist name and give credit etc. A forum post however is not a video game directly. I do absolutely respect if people feel this strongly about the pics on a forum and I apologize it upset you. However even ChrisB's Avatar Is a well known GrimReaper pic and there is no artist name anywhere in sight. Yet is he lambasted?

I also did search for reusable pics but google is never perfect. I am not stealing because it's solely used as a forum post.

If you have suggestions about this topic I will read them if you're civil.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:24 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure what I did to you or what but having the viciousness in your post is completely uncalled for when I do these little art path pics it's to help with the fantasy and is technically a forum picture not used in any game directly. If I was to say make an RPGmaker game where the pic is used directly in that project I would include the artist name and give credit etc. A forum post however is like 4chan or other pic boards. If people feel this strongly about the pics on a forum that is literally not part of the actual Eqemu game I apologize it upset you. However even ChrisB signature Is a well known GrimReaper pic and there is no artist name anywhere in sight.

I also did search for reusable pics but google is never perfect. I am not stealing because it's solely used as a forum post. Just like a signature or forum avatar.

If you have suggestions I will read them if you're civil.
I appreciate the callout, makes me feel important. NetherRealm (Nicholas Watros) is the artist and the picture is from 2006; before you even knew what EQEmu was. It was made available as a free download. But I mean if you want to see a copyright disclaimer on an 80px image let me know and I'll do it just for you.

You need to realize, however, that I'm not against you, I was trying to help you. Which says a lot considering I don't agree with your project. Also, I understand copyright laws very well as I run two businesses, one of which deals directly with intellectual property of artists. When it comes to using art resources for forums, free projects, etc I don't make a big stink, and credit the artists when I feel it necessary.

I had a photographer send my company a cease and desist letter a few years ago for a picture I took from google, for the sole purpose of testing functionality on a website. I never made the image public, never actually posted it to a live website, but google indexed the web folder and he found it.

I laughed, explained it to him, he laughed, we went about our lives. The key there was that I was a for-profit business. Most artists don't care that you're using their art for non-profit, for-fun, or other random projects. I know I don't. Hell I've produced several songs that are all over the internet, free to download and uploaded by some shady character somewhere. I don't care.

When the usage becomes commercial, that's when things change.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 AM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
The key there was that I was a for-profit business. Most artists don't care that you're using their art for non-profit, for-fun, or other random projects. I know I don't. Hell I've produced several songs that are all over the internet, free to download and uploaded by some shady character somewhere. I don't care.

No, the key is that the artist in your case, and in many cases don't care if the use is non-commercial. That doesn't mean that all artists and corporations won't care.

Quote:
...when I do these little art path pics it's to help with the fantasy and is technically a forum picture not used in any game directly.
Usage doesn't really matter, and you are using those "little art path picks" to advertise your proposed server. You have to get permission to use someone else's work, especially if your use of it involves removing attributions. Even Creative Commons licensed material has rules around attribution (https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wik...or_attribution) that your cropped images violate so you're in violation no matter where those images are sourced.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daerath View Post
No, the key is that the artist in your case, and in many cases don't care if the use is non-commercial. That doesn't mean that all artists and corporations won't care.
Re-read what I said, I said that. The only thing I guaranteed was that "I" don't care. As an intellectual property owner I don't care about non-commercial use of my property.

You guys are ripping into him over some seriously small shit that Wizards probably doesn't care about. At worst they shoot a cease and desist at him and he pulls the images. It's not worth litigation as there is no damage.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 AM
chasem
Fire Beetle

Watching a YouTube video that someone else put up without permission is a violation of copyright law, so not sure how far we want to go with this considering the game we're playing and it being an emulator and all. Sure we have some vague Daybreak agreement, but they still own it all and can come snatch and grab for copyright violation at any point if they so choose.

I don't really care one way or the other in regards to Ruinspire or Drak or any who have beef with him. I pirate the fuck out of everything. As for most the stuff around here from an artistic view...We NEED more pirated shit!!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasem View Post
Watching a YouTube video that someone else put up without permission is a violation of copyright law, so not sure how far we want to go with this considering the game we're playing and it being an emulator and all. Sure we have some vague Daybreak agreement, but they still own it all and can come snatch and grab for copyright violation at any point if they so choose.

I don't really care one way or the other in regards to Ruinspire or Drak or any who have beef with him. I pirate the fuck out of everything. As for most the stuff around here from an artistic view...We NEED more pirated shit!!
Watching the video is not violation.

Also, the code that runs the servers is owned by the EQEmu developers. So unless they are going to start snatching clients from players they have no ground to stand on.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
I appreciate the callout, makes me feel important. NetherRealm (Nicholas Watros) is the artist and the picture is from 2006; before you even knew what EQEmu was. It was made available as a free download. But I mean if you want to see a copyright disclaimer on an 80px image let me know and I'll do it just for you.

You need to realize, however, that I'm not against you, I was trying to help you. Which says a lot considering I don't agree with your project. Also, I understand copyright laws very well as I run two businesses, one of which deals directly with intellectual property of artists. When it comes to using art resources for forums, free projects, etc I don't make a big stink, and credit the artists when I feel it necessary.

I had a photographer send my company a cease and desist letter a few years ago for a picture I took from google, for the sole purpose of testing functionality on a website. I never made the image public, never actually posted it to a live website, but google indexed the web folder and he found it.

I laughed, explained it to him, he laughed, we went about our lives. The key there was that I was a for-profit business. Most artists don't care that you're using their art for non-profit, for-fun, or other random projects. I know I don't. Hell I've produced several songs that are all over the internet, free to download and uploaded by some shady character somewhere. I don't care.

I appreciate and respect your professionalism and experience. What would you suggest that I do to get out the idea of my creations on a forum without causing a fuss? For example all my other servers only had one issue with this and that's when I accidentally used Guild Wars 2 art. They sent me a cease and desist. I decided to take all art down for paths at that time in a huge overreaction.