Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:18 PM
jpyou127
Discordant

The cool thing about Secrets is that he is also one of the Devs on TAKP which means the content should be really accurate for what he developing. I am enjoying the server a lot!

Play there if you want to or do not play there, but I would suggest stop hijacking the thread as I, and I am sure others are getting tired of scrolling through the posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual server itself.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
If secrets is working here, I'm gonna make a bard.

Can we kite like ye olde days?

Likewise swarm kite OP!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Also make a spell file with old school spell effects and you'll have me hooked.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM
daerath
Sarnak

If you're instancing zones, why have a limit of 1 login per IP?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by daerath View Post
If you're instancing zones, why have a limit of 1 login per IP?
Case and point: Project 1999. Players cannot be gentlemen about spawns, and it is more headache than it is typically worth to police players.

That, and I would like to do lockout style stuff with instances.

IE; a prompt for an entire guild appears after 15 or more players from the same guild are in a zone. The players enter an instance, and kill Lord Nagafen.
Each individual character who has access to the instance gets a lockout timer applied to the zone.
You must be in the guild to join the instance, and the lockout applies even if you are offline.

Upon defeating Nagafen (or the first boss in general), the players get a 'successful lockout' timer. This applies to all parties that are assigned to the instance, and they cannot join a new instance until their lockout timer expires.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:16 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

I like this will all named always be up in said zones that are instances ?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Case and point: Project 1999. Players cannot be gentlemen about spawns, and it is more headache than it is typically worth to police players.

That, and I would like to do lockout style stuff with instances.

IE; a prompt for an entire guild appears after 15 or more players from the same guild are in a zone. The players enter an instance, and kill Lord Nagafen.
Each individual character who has access to the instance gets a lockout timer applied to the zone.
You must be in the guild to join the instance, and the lockout applies even if you are offline.

Upon defeating Nagafen (or the first boss in general), the players get a 'successful lockout' timer. This applies to all parties that are assigned to the instance, and they cannot join a new instance until their lockout timer expires.
Ah, so in this case instancing is for bosses? What about zones with too few players? Can they request an instance? Can a raid (of people not in the same guild) request an instance?

The lock appears upon killing the first boss? So is the idea that the limit (15 players in your example, but whatever the # ends up being for that zone) is the minimum required to kill any boss in a zone that would enable a lock?

Can they ignore the prompt? Will each zone have a different player count for instancing (I'd think so. NToV and Fear are a tad different)?

What if they kill a boss in a zone but don't have the required # to be given an instance (or they ignore the prompt to go to an instance)? If they kill a boss do they still get a lockout (that would affect getting an instance later on)? Does the lockout also affect the non-instanced zone? Kind of a, "You already killed me, so <*POOF* you're back a zone-in>" effect?

Still seems easier to just let groups (regardless of guild membership) request an instance of any zone. That eliminates the need to police IPs because, like, don't let those people in your instance.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by daerath View Post
Ah, so in this case instancing is for bosses? What about zones with too few players? Can they request an instance? Can a raid (of people not in the same guild) request an instance?

The lock appears upon killing the first boss? So is the idea that the limit (15 players in your example, but whatever the # ends up being for that zone) is the minimum required to kill any boss in a zone that would enable a lock?

Can they ignore the prompt? Will each zone have a different player count for instancing (I'd think so. NToV and Fear are a tad different)?

What if they kill a boss in a zone but don't have the required # to be given an instance (or they ignore the prompt to go to an instance)? If they kill a boss do they still get a lockout (that would affect getting an instance later on)? Does the lockout also affect the non-instanced zone? Kind of a, "You already killed me, so <*POOF* you're back a zone-in>" effect?

Still seems easier to just let groups (regardless of guild membership) request an instance of any zone. That eliminates the need to police IPs because, like, don't let those people in your instance.
It's pretty much identical to EQ2's instancing design with guild restrictions instead of group composition restrictions. That's one thing that EQ2 actually did right. Wish there was a writeup somewhere of that.

Zones with too few players and no raid targets will not be instanced.

Raids of players not in the same guild cannot request an instance. Pickup raids will not be able to do content unless they are in the same guild.

They can ignore the prompt and that's the only thing that will be contested. I feel as though possibly guilds are restrictive in a way, so maybe they won't be barred to just guilds.

The issue I want to avoid is selling loot rights to NPCs in instances, which guild affiliation will typically solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
I like this will all named always be up in said zones that are instances ?
Only raid targets will be up. The other targets will be randomized.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Secrets, what if I de-guild and re-guild to bypass the guild restriction if I duped 100,000 plat to buy my cloak of flames?

Old 03-14-2017, 02:02 AM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
Also make a spell file with old school spell effects and you'll have me hooked.
This is easy to do, there are automatically old spell effects if you are using files pulled from the original eq disk.

It appears few if any servers that secrets has started are still around so don't go into this expecting your character will last long.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
It appears few if any servers that secrets has started are still around so don't go into this expecting your character will last long.
"It appears" ?
Nostaligia, you insult people's intelligence. Your statement was an obvious deliberate dig at something you know
nothing about. You've proved that in a lot of your past posts.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:29 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

Haha Grumpy! Wish these boards had a like button!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 AM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

I don't think its a "dig" if you say about an entrepreneur that they have had multiple kickstarters and none of their businesses are still around. And here is another kickstarter.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
I don't think its a "dig" if you say about an entrepreneur that they have had multiple kickstarters and none of their businesses are still around. And here is another kickstarter.
The difference is you're paying for a kickstarter.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:29 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Time is money. We just want you to be respectful of it.