Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::GeorgeS's Tools

Development::GeorgeS's Tools A forum just for GeorgeS's tools

Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

The static files are bitmaps, thus no problem there.

The animations are Xvid (or DivX) , and what I'm planning on doing is having the animations as a separate DL (~50mb), if people want it. The rest will be DL as normal. Program will work without the animations anyway, but the spell effects are really cool.

GeorgeS

I'm also trying to get the memory handle for the current spell editor so it would auto-link to my program. If you select a spell from the editor, my program would read the animation value in memory and display the animation. The programaticaly syntax is called an 'hwnd', a unique property read by a low windows call.

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
trevius
Developer

If you convert the images to JPG instead of BMP (bitmap format), the file size will drop to probably 10% of what it is now. Maybe even less depending on the JPG quality you use when converting. If you need help finding a program to convert them, I am sure I can find a free simple one for you to use.

BMP stores pixel by pixel information so it takes up MUCH more data than a JPG which uses algorithms to reduce the size of the file. The image quality will be slightly lower, but it should be perfectly fine for what you are doing. I normally only use BMP files when creating web graphics or doing high res graphic design that can't have any compression.

I am guessing you probably already know all of this, but I figured I would post it just in case. Maybe I read your message wrong about the files being in BMP format.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

I have not decided on a format yet (they're in PNG now) but jpg will be the best for sure. It all about compromise. I have commercial batch converters for this.

The animations are now in DivX and 150x200 in size. So thus all 240 of them do add up despite huge bitrate reductions. (avg size is 350K/animation). Nothing can be done more to these. The DL is 60mb for the reduced size ones and 120mb for the normal/good quality animations. I spent huge time and effort on this, so this is a done deal for me. I doubt you ever have to re-download them. The tool should be pretty cool if I can grab the windows handle for the current spell editor and interface with it. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool stand-alone app.

GeorgeS

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
trevius
Developer

Sounds freakin' amazing! And ya, it would be awesome if there was a simple way to set spell editors to point to the directory you install the divx videos and then maybe put something in to pull up the spell effect when a spell is loaded in the editor. Just as long as the files don't have to be included in the spell editor so that every time you download an update for the spell editor, the download is 50+MBs. That size isn't an issue for the people downloading them, but it might cause issues with hosting that has limited bandwidth usage.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
That size isn't an issue for the people downloading them, but it might cause issues with hosting that has limited bandwidth usage.
That brings up something interesting... I wonder how feasible it would be to use Flash Video (like YouTube)? It makes it ridiculously easy to incorporate into web pages as a standalone (thinking Wiki or something similar), and would probably be equally as easy to package in an executable. The only things I'm not sure about is what the differences in file size would be and how easy it would be to facilitate playback into a standalone app.

Might be worth taking a look at...

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
trevius
Developer

The only issue with that is the compression on video from services like youtube really sucks and you want something halfway decent to see the spell animations clearly. Divx encodng is awesome for the resulting file size it has. You can get a full length movie in HD quality for a few hundred megabytes. The only thing that comes close that I know of is AVI.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

Thank for the updated Icons, I just updated the set I have been working with today. You even had a few new ones I did not have yet. They look a lot better than the older version I had. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Heck you're welcome!
Perhaps someone can check to see if there are even more recent ones to add - someone who still plays live... They are in the everquest folder in uifiles, and there should be a file numerically later than dragitem34.tga

GeorgeS

Old 03-10-2008, 02:36 PM
mattmeck

goes up to 59 now.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

..Thanks for the info everyone. I am now extracting the icons - and there are just so many more!

GeorgeS

Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

All the tools should have the newest icons avail -somewhere over 2400 in total - up to and incl. dragitem59.tga

GeorgeS

Old 03-18-2008, 02:47 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

George - so what happened to the spell icons? =)
Old 03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

hehe - who twisted my arm to make them go away

GeorgeS