Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Knotthead
Fire Beetle

Default What version of Perl and MySQL do you currently have installed?

I think this might help those of us who are just trying to get started on server setups. The different guides out there have different version combinations of each, and from what I understand, you have to have the right combination of Perl and MySQL for it to work.

I know if you are compiling through Visual C++ you need to have at least Perl 5.1, and now it appears that Rev_1666 will need Perl 5.12.

So, what do you have installed for your server?
Thanks!
Knotthead

Edit - also, what version of Windows are you running your server on?

Last edited by Knotthead; 09-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: editing for new thought
Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Zandig
Hill Giant

I just compiled rev 1667 with no problems using the following:

- ActivePerl 5.10.0.1004
- MySQL 5.149
- Windows XP 32 bit

The Perl version should not matter as long as it is at least 5.10+

The problems seems to be with people who used the pre-compiled downloads and then try to compile themselves. They install a newer version of Perl but do not fully remove the older version of Perl completely which sometimes has to be done manually or remnants from the older install remain.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 PM
joligario
Developer

Windows 7 x64
XAMPP 1.7.3 (which includes)
- MySQL 5.1.41
- Perl 5.10.1
Visual C++ 2008 Express

Never had a problem compiling, application error, connecting, etc.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Having trouble using your same setup, joligario.

Windows 7 x64
XAMPP 1.7.3 including:
- MySQL 5.1.41
- Perl 5.10.1
Visual C++ 2008 Express

EQLaunch.exe seems to execute properly, but I receive an error message with both world.exe and zone.exe.

Error message is:

Quote:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."
Searching around the forums points to a perl error in most cases, but I'm not sure where I could've screwed up.

Could you please confirm the following setup in Visual C++?

Includes:
C:\XAMPP\MySQL\include
C:\XAMPP\Perl\lib\CORE
C:\ZLib\include

Libraries:
C:\XAMPP\MySQL\lib\opt
C:\XAMPP\Perl\lib\CORE
C:\ZLib\lib

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:35 PM
joligario
Developer

Yes, that is what I have... except the case. Is that the case of the folders on your machine? Since it is C++, I figure it might have been picky on case sensitivity. For simplicity and to avoid problems, I always just keep them lower case. Other than that, I would check to see if there is another perl dll or similar running around on your machine.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
joligario
Developer

Also just a thought, for the executable it uses the $(PATH). Out of habit, I always make sure I include the executables in my path in the computer's environment variables:
c:\xampp\mysql\bin;c:\xampp\perl\bin;c:\xampp\perl \site;c:\xampp\mysql\include;c:\xampp\mysql\lib;

EDIT: That space isn't really there after perl... I guess it is just phpBB or something.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:20 PM
So_1337
Dragon

I found that I had Zlib/include for both the include and library. Correcting that, I'm still getting 5/5 on building without errors, but now the error message is changed. I'm now dealing with a "missing perl510.dll" error, heh. I'll get it, at least this is an error message I've dealt with before =P

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Having cleared out XAMPP's Perl directory, I've installed the ActivePerl version of 5.10.1.2007. I'm compiling now, we'll see if that makes any difference. Even after installing XAMPP I was having trouble getting the PPM to launch from a command prompt. No trouble this time around.

I'll report back.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_1337 View Post
Having cleared out XAMPP's Perl directory, I've installed the ActivePerl version of 5.10.1.2007. I'm compiling now, we'll see if that makes any difference. Even after installing XAMPP I was having trouble getting the PPM to launch from a command prompt. No trouble this time around.

I'll report back.
You need to reference perl the same way you did with your SQL libraries.

Quote from : http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=VS2008

Quote:
5) Update your Microsoft Visual C+(+) 2008 Express Edition directories.
Using Microsoft Visual C+(+) 2008 Express Edition:
- from the menu bar select:
'Tools/Options/Projects and Solutions/VC+(+) directories'
and add the following directories using the dropdown "Show directories for" box:

Include files: C:\mysql\include
Include files: C:\perl\lib\CORE
Include files: C:\zlib\include
Library files: C:\mysql\lib\opt
Library files: C:\perl\lib\CORE
Library files: C:\zlib\lib
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Swapping XAMPP's version of perl for the ActivePerl installation made all the difference. I was able to compile cleanly and get the world.exe and zone.exe files to launch just fine.

Server is now up with a test character logged in. Thanks for the help, gents.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joligario View Post
Yes, that is what I have... except the case. Is that the case of the folders on your machine? Since it is C++, I figure it might have been picky on case sensitivity.
Case should make zero difference.

C++ has no notion of what a directory even is, let alone what one should look like. This is all defined by the platform. As it turns out, on Windows, "DIR", "dir", and "diR" all resolve to the same file path. What usually gets you in trouble is having spaces in the path with older software.