Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Figback65
Discordant

Default An Over-Due Thank you to the Emu team.

I just wanted to take the time and tell everybody here on the Emu, "Thank You"

I have a repair hardware and generalized troubleshooting background in PCs and have done it professionally for 15 years. I always wanted to learn coding and other things like databases but never had nor made the time nor a real reason to learn any of that.

Thanks to you all, I have been able to learn c++, perl, sql, and more through the means of the greatest game I ever played. That helped so much with dedication and interest to keep chugging a long. I only do this as a hobby and enjoy every minute of it.

Thank you Emu team and community! <3
Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I'm not really a member of the team, but I am glad to see new people coming to the community and learning skills like this. Whether it's Perl, C++, or SQL, they're all transferable knowledge that can be used for many, many other things. The knowledge I have learned here has helped me build my own website, learn how to troubleshoot applications I build, and manage my own database. Keep in mind I still have a lot of time ahead of me, being I'm only 19, so what I already know from just doing it for fun is absolutely amazing. It's always nice to see that people have a drive to learn and are willing to do something new and difficult just because they enjoy the game that they're doing it for.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
being I'm only 19
Wow I thought you were older than that. It is rare for the younger generation to get involved with older pixels, or it seems like it to me.

But yes, I love this community, even though I am not directly a developer here. I appreciate everyone on this project. They are in the background doing wonderful things that we all can utilize.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Haha, everyone thinks I'm older than I am for whatever reason, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! This community has definitely given me a unique skill set that will be beneficial.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:54 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figback65 View Post
I just wanted to take the time and tell everybody here on the Emu, "Thank You"

I have a repair hardware and generalized troubleshooting background in PCs and have done it professionally for 15 years. I always wanted to learn coding and other things like databases but never had nor made the time nor a real reason to learn any of that.

Thanks to you all, I have been able to learn c++, perl, sql, and more through the means of the greatest game I ever played. That helped so much with dedication and interest to keep chugging a long. I only do this as a hobby and enjoy every minute of it.

Thank you Emu team and community! <3

Let me sign up on this one as well.
Even though I am a rare visitor these days, let me loudly say:

THANK YOU EQEMU AND THE TEAM
Old 03-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

I learned programming back in 2010 due to eqemulator and found a passion for it. I was inspired and ended up changing my path in life and went back to school to do it professionally. Now I am in my senior year for my bachelors and even though I am 30 now, I don't regret changing my life around one bit and am truly happy about my decision. I would never have had passion or desire for my career choice and probably would not have ended up happy in life if it weren't for eqemulator. With all sincerity, thank you everyone for your hard work throughout the years in not only preserving my favorite game of all time but also getting my own life on track.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:37 PM
provocating
Demi-God

On a side note I have been checking my process list on my server. After these code changes from the past year by normal zone process is about 4% max on my static zones compared to the previous 6.5% usage. So yes a big thanks for everyone that make these things happen.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 AM
tigurius
Fire Beetle

Smile

If it wasn't for eqemu, I probably would not have gotten so involved into programming and database work back in 2001 when Hackerquest and the EQEmu projects were first coming around. I actually used the experience I gained messing with EQ and running a server to leverage my first career position out of college and applied a lot of skills I learned or was introduced to here. Can't say this game/hobby has been a complete waste of time!

Thanks to all who contribute to the project, it goes farther for a lot of folks than just the game itself.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:29 AM
rudeboy88
Sarnak

Yeah, I would also like to add that eqemu has definitely provided me with a more direct means by which I was able to learn some of these skills; it has helped me step up and have fun learning new things that I otherwise might not have found as much fun in learning.

Thanks EQEmu et al
Old 04-17-2016, 12:24 PM
superemu
Sarnak

I'm having a total blast playing with my server (yarko's). Been wanting to do this for years. Been a programmer all my life but it's fun to tinker in gaming. Finally got some friends to play on the server. It's nice being GOD!