Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 12:52 PM
MethodSZ
Fire Beetle

Guildwars was paid through until the end of may via donations. Image says it costs something like 174 a month to keep the server up

so yes, they just made over $300 in donations that will not be going towards the server. Thanks for not knowing what your talking about.

Also, "matt", your absolutely right. They can do whatever they want with their server, and they have. That is why they crashed and burned for a second time, because they do whatever they want which pisses all the players off. Each iteration of guildwars has less and less people because of it.

I played there because its free and its fun. I have fun pvping people in classic eq. I am also allowed to be critical of anyone i want. If they dont like me, they can ban me (and they have). However, when 90% of the players are critical of them, that is when the server dies. That is what happened last night. They cant ban everyone for disagreeing. At some point they need to just realize they are a failed team and a failed project and their players are never comnig back. Time to close down the shop.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodSZ
Guildwars was paid through until the end of may via donations. Image says it costs something like 174 a month to keep the server up

so yes, they just made over $300 in donations that will not be going towards the server. Thanks for not knowing what your talking about.

Also, "matt", your absolutely right. They can do whatever they want with their server, and they have. That is why they crashed and burned for a second time, because they do whatever they want which pisses all the players off. Each iteration of guildwars has less and less people because of it.

I played there because its free and its fun. I have fun pvping people in classic eq. I am also allowed to be critical of anyone i want. If they dont like me, they can ban me (and they have). However, when 90% of the players are critical of them, that is when the server dies. That is what happened last night. They cant ban everyone for disagreeing. At some point they need to just realize they are a failed team and a failed project and their players are never comnig back. Time to close down the shop.
Learning when to listen and when not to listen to players is very important. At the very least a server admin should always take some time to hear the complaints, even if they disagree with them. No admin or dev team is perfect, and there is always room for improvement. If you listen to players about the little problems and fix them, it will also encourage the players to help you with the big problems.

Really, in the end, everyone wins from listening, just as long as you don't confuse "listening" with "agreeing".
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

They asked for advice and many players gave them good advice. If you actually take the time to read the suggestions you'll notice that <Jihad>, the ones affected the most by a server wipe, were advocating it for the sake of balance ALONG WITH ideas that would make it harder and harder for power-guilds, including <Jihad>, to maintain a huge lead. Why? Because <Jihad> *gasp* liked the server, why the hell else would they (myself included) dump so much time into it?

Of course devn00b/Image showed how mature they were by calling the playerbase "13 year olds" then storming around and shutting the server down in an uncontrollable fit of "maturity", right?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermaniumSZ
They asked for advice and many players gave them good advice. If you actually take the time to read the suggestions you'll notice that <Jihad>, the ones affected the most by a server wipe, were advocating it for the sake of balance ALONG WITH ideas that would make it harder and harder for power-guilds, including <Jihad>, to maintain a huge lead. Why? Because <Jihad> *gasp* liked the server, why the hell else would they (myself included) dump so much time into it?

Of course devn00b/Image showed how mature they were by calling the playerbase "13 year olds" then storming around and shutting the server down in an uncontrollable fit of "maturity", right?
Asking for advice does not equate actually listening to the advice. My experience with devn00b and image tells me that if the advice given them isn't exactly what they want to hear they will disregard it and/or get angry. Especially if it points out that they did something wrong.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Sobe
Fire Beetle

No matter who was truly at fault.

It's over.

On a side-note...

Did anyone ever have a serious problem with me?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:15 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz
Asking for advice does not equate actually listening to the advice. My experience with devn00b and image tells me that if the advice given them isn't exactly what they want to hear they will disregard it and/or get angry. Especially if it points out that they did something wrong.
That's true. One time pre-wipe a zone was completely bugged and devn00b (I believe it was dev, may've been Image) banned a character (Synara) for cheating because their code was "flawless"

Naturally it was later discovered that the zone was, indeed, screwed up.

And as for you Sobe, I think you're the one that said OOC would be much quieter or calmer or something once I was banned. That along with devn00b laughing heartily at forged PvP encounters (apparently jihad was owned hardcore PvP about the same time I was banned pre-wipe, although I was there and it didn't happen) made people very leery of any GM on the server same Alyrius/Aquelin, whom were bitched out by devn00b for doing their jobs.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:17 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
No matter who was truly at fault.

It's over.
Actually it does matter who was at fault since people seem to be blaming the playerbase, Jihad inparticular, for events out of their control i.e. devn00b's menstrual cycle and Image's bipolar personality.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Sobe
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermaniumSZ
That's true. One time pre-wipe a zone was completely bugged and devn00b (I believe it was dev, may've been Image) banned a character (Synara) for cheating because their code was "flawless"

Naturally it was later discovered that the zone was, indeed, screwed up.

And as for you Sobe, I think you're the one that said OOC would be much quieter or calmer or something once I was banned. That along with devn00b laughing heartily at forged PvP encounters (apparently jihad was owned hardcore PvP about the same time I was banned pre-wipe, although I was there and it didn't happen) made people very leery of any GM on the server same Alyrius/Aquelin, whom were bitched out by devn00b for doing their jobs.

I don't recall saying that anyone should be banned...

Hell, I didn't even say that Method should have been banned for the AFK deal in Freeport.

But hey, I could be wrong =/
Old 04-02-2005, 02:15 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

Considering method's AFK spot was LEGAL since people, including myself, had specifically asked Image that's a moot point.

Sorry if I wrongfully accused you though.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
mattmeck

take away the $ issue and this reminds me of GW 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5.......

Click search, then type in "guild wars", stuff from early 2002 in the archives, wish the GW forums would have been backed up from then. All these issues were issues in every version of GW to ever come out. And if it ever comes back will be issues then too IMO.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
take away the $ issue and this reminds me of GW 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5.......

Click search, then type in "guild wars", stuff from early 2002 in the archives, wish the GW forums would have been backed up from then. All these issues were issues in every version of GW to ever come out. And if it ever comes back will be issues then too IMO.
More or less. Until GW gets a more sensible head at top, it's doomed to fail.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
MethodSZ
Fire Beetle

Summary of the last 3 days of guildwars 3.0:

Some newb reports me for hiding illegally in east freeport. I used levitate to get over a wall and go afk on the other side. this is not illegal. GM Sobe investigates, i show him how i got to the spot with levitate and he says "good job" and affirms that i did nothing wrong. The newb that reported me got pissed off that i wasnt breaking any rules so he tells devnoob in IRC that im hiding in an illegal spot. Devnoob immediately blows his load all over his keyboard then logs in game and BANS me right in front of GM sobe who was trying to tell him i did nothing wrong. He smack talks me right before banning me.

8 hours later, Image gets on and unbans me. No apology from dev, no explanation from either of them why dev is allowed to do that crap. Oh well.

The next day, the GMs decide they are going to remove all jihad's cities. Devnoob logs in and deletes all of our 50 or so guards we control and replace them with GM gaurds. lame, we try to argue it but obviously cant. So, after they take all our guards we take back all THEIR guards and by the end of the night its as if nothing ever changed. jihad still #1.

This last move obviously pissed them off. The next day devnoob makes up some retarded story of how he found three of our guards placed illegally on city roofs overnight. He can't tell us where they were or who placed them. He gives no warning. He docks frumppyfrank 17,000 points (about 2 weeks of constant pvp / city taking), saying he is responsible (he wasnt). Dev says three times is way too many, yet never gave a warning after the first or second time. We never knew our guards were somehow being illegally placed (they werent). Not only that, he removed frumppyfrank's ability to speak in IRC and in OOC and would not respond to tells. He didnt even give the guy a chance to defend himself, AND he shit talked frank on top of all of that.

Remember, this is only the last 3 days of the server. Imagine this shit going on for 3 straight weeks. We (and most of the server) pretty much had enough of dev's shit and so we called him out on it. He threw a fit, and threatened to leave the server and take his database with him. No one tried to stop him, despite him saying several times that he was going to leave and take the database with him. That mustve hurt his feelings.

Also germanium has some funny stories of how he got banned by devnoob for doing things that one wouldnt normally equate to banning.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Virus11
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodSZ
Summary of the last 3 days of guildwars 3.0:

Some newb reports me for hiding illegally in east freeport. I used levitate to get over a wall and go afk on the other side. this is not illegal. GM Sobe investigates, i show him how i got to the spot with levitate and he says "good job" and affirms that i did nothing wrong. The newb that reported me got pissed off that i wasnt breaking any rules so he tells devnoob in IRC that im hiding in an illegal spot. Devnoob immediately blows his load all over his keyboard then logs in game and BANS me right in front of GM sobe who was trying to tell him i did nothing wrong. He smack talks me right before banning me.

8 hours later, Image gets on and unbans me. No apology from dev, no explanation from either of them why dev is allowed to do that crap. Oh well.

The next day, the GMs decide they are going to remove all jihad's cities. Devnoob logs in and deletes all of our 50 or so guards we control and replace them with GM gaurds. lame, we try to argue it but obviously cant. So, after they take all our guards we take back all THEIR guards and by the end of the night its as if nothing ever changed. jihad still #1.

This last move obviously pissed them off. The next day devnoob makes up some retarded story of how he found three of our guards placed illegally on city roofs overnight. He can't tell us where they were or who placed them. He gives no warning. He docks frumppyfrank 17,000 points (about 2 weeks of constant pvp / city taking), saying he is responsible (he wasnt). Dev says three times is way too many, yet never gave a warning after the first or second time. We never knew our guards were somehow being illegally placed (they werent). Not only that, he removed frumppyfrank's ability to speak in IRC and in OOC and would not respond to tells. He didnt even give the guy a chance to defend himself, AND he shit talked frank on top of all of that.

Remember, this is only the last 3 days of the server. Imagine this shit going on for 3 straight weeks. We (and most of the server) pretty much had enough of dev's shit and so we called him out on it. He threw a fit, and threatened to leave the server and take his database with him. No one tried to stop him, despite him saying several times that he was going to leave and take the database with him. That mustve hurt his feelings.

Also germanium has some funny stories of how he got banned by devnoob for doing things that one wouldnt normally equate to banning.
That's exactly what happens when you share control of a server. Thats why you need 1 guy who is very reasonable, nice, cool, active guy to run a server.... not an uptight person like these guys. I spoke to devn00b alot and he was a nice guy, but after hearing all this stuff it really pisses me off, it's not how you run a server.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Ditrivo
Fire Beetle

This happens every time GW comes up.

Fun times.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Rithien
Fire Beetle

You gotta love how everyone says "these guys" as if Image is just as easily angered as Dev. Oh and method, first of all.. they didn't take just Jihad's cities, they took EVERYBODY'S cities. Second of all, if I recall, frumppyfrank ended up only losing 5000 points. (Thanks to image, but still)

Yes Ill agree with you that Dev shouldnt have quite as much contact with the playerbase, as its so easy for them to make him mad.