Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:54 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

My Exciting Banning Extravaganza:

To tell this story of mystery and intrigue I must start far before the banning itself. Now on GW melees are buffed to the max 666 xxx hardcore! A melee wielding a culler can take off 1/3rd of a 20k pkp / raid-geared caster's hitpoints in a single round. Yes, that means a meager three rounds of combat mean a caster's death. A culler can double for 400~. A Lavabolt at level 50 with 25% casting bonus does a maximum of 650~ damage PvP to give you an idea. OK, now that I explained how melee/casting damage is mitigated PvP it is easy to see that casters need some sort of means PvP to be able to compete as they cannot simply go toe to toe with a melee, a la EQLive (duh).

Levitate was the primary means of a caster's defense. Using spires, rooftops, etc, anywhere that would force a melee to actually have to use skill/lev to catch them -- it really forced a race against time for both the melee and the caster. The caster has x amount of time to kill the melee, if the timer runs out, the caster is screwed.

In GW3.0 Image/devn00b decided that levitate was imbalanced since pure melees could not reach the caster. OK, that's cool, you could still cast from anywhere a full sized ogre warrior could reach. Just couldn't use spires, roofs, through-wall-casting, etc -- anything that involved either a place a melee could not reach or a melee could not physically see you.

I was in North Karana clearing guards when a ranger, Nopheer, ported down. I believe it was Nopheer at least. Anyways, he and I were PvPing. He ported down on me, I got a nuke off, got my pet on him and then he was on me. I ran around to the side of the spire (the north-easternmost spire on the map) and he lost his site of me. I then ran up a tiny bit -- barely over ogre's head height -- where a melee could reach me (I was NOT levitated myself). I started casting from the spire and then Nopheer saw me, he ran up and started meleeing me. I channeled the nuke and killed him. Then I gated, the end...or is it?

Image banned me, on evidence provided by devn00b -- a screenshot. devn00b did not show up in zone, and the only screenshot I ever saw was from Nopheer (a no-talent ranger that most everyone viewed as an easy PvP victim), but regardless I was banned. The rules stated that anywhere a melee could reach a caster could cast from, so long as the melee could reach it without levitate.

The GM's (Image/devn00b) argument was that I was banned because an Ogre Warrior could not reach the top of the spires, or even get on the spires. I was banned, end of story!

Or was it?

Flawless logic...change the rules as you go along. Except for when the rule you invent still doesn't work. My pal, Method, made an Ogre Warrior and...guess what...he could reach the top of the Spires without levitate in North Karana. Well holy crap, I was banned for going somewhere anyone can go easily.

I was unbanned and given a verbal warning -- if it ever happened again I was going to be banned.

More stories next time.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:57 PM
dmal0807
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodSZ
8 hours later, Image gets on and unbans me. No apology from dev, no explanation from either of them why dev is allowed to do that crap. Oh well.
Actually it was Dev who unbanned you about 15 minutes after. Dev is allowed to do what he wants since hes a serverop and image trusts him to make decisions that are good for the server. If you have a problem with that you shouldn't have played GW in the first place.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:02 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmal0807
Actually it was Dev who unbanned you about 15 minutes after. Dev is allowed to do what he wants since hes a serverop and image trusts him to make decisions that are good for the server. If you have a problem with that you shouldn't have played GW in the first place.
Attitudes like that are precisely why GW never works. It's good to see that we still have people incapable of making rational decisions even after being presented with dozens of pages of evidence as to WHY devn00b is a terrible GM.

Yeah, he is allowed to do what he wants. And you know what? Everytime devn00b does what HE wants the server dies. But yeah, instead of playing a good server and trying to make it better by refining the server into a streamlined, fun game machine the players should bow down like subserviant whores to the staff because they can code and as a result hold a deified status.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:05 PM
dmal0807
Fire Beetle

After all the shit you guys say to dev I'd say his decisions are very rational. Telling someone who works his ass off on a server that he shouldn't be allowed to play on it. Come on do you have any respect for someone who worked his ass off for no gain just so you could have fun.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:17 PM
GermaniumSZ
Fire Beetle

He had tons of fun creating his world, getting his little ants to play in it then squashing them with his GM status until mommy (Image) had to get him to stop. The ants threw a revolt and told him he was a prick, and he got angry at the criticism (even though he flamed everyone before bans that were ruled illegal).

So what you're saying is that we should respect him because he created the database which led to problems which he refused to fix then he banned people/flamed them while he banned them, had the people unbanned then got all antsy and left?

Of course devn00b is so mature in regards to Jihad it's a wonder we DON'T respect him! Observe:

<wolfe> so its gone? no chance of anything
<Pheer> jihad whined so dev got pissed and took db
<Pheer> server dead now
<Pheer> fun fun
<Vero> yea
<~image> i can't make the db
<Vero> thanks a lot Jifag
<~image> heh
<Vero> Image: THANKS A LOT JIFAG!!!!
<Vero> wow..
<wolfe> lol
<Vero> why didn't I think of that when I was in game :( thats a awesome name for them :9
<Vero> :(
<&devn00b> <-- has called them that alot
<Vero> really?
<Vero> I like that name
<&devn00b> amongst other names
<&devn00b> Gayhad
<Vero> Jihax?
<&devn00b> etc
<Vero> rofl
<Aquelin> Jewhad!
<&devn00b> yeah
<&devn00b> that one
<Vero> Dickhad?
<Vero> short for dick head?
* Vero shrugs
<Vero> anyhow
<Vero> well
<Vero> this certainly is funny
* Aquelin laughs not.
* image sighs

Wolfe is in Jihad and he's a nice guy. That's the response he gets. Vero, by the way, is an eighteen year old who flames Jihad, probably because he's a poor product of the American educational system and he can't do fractions (literally).

Pheersome was a newbie PKer who was constantly on the GM's nuts. When I was banned he went so far as to apply to the Jihad forums under a user's name, found out my new character's name and had it banned -- even though it didn't matter since I returned the next day anyways.

Image, per usual, was pretty cool about it all. Unlike devn00b he doesn't appreciate having his work ****ed away (edited since some forum mod said no more cussing) for immature reasons. I actually like Image, he does good work, it's dev that always ruins things.

Back to what I was saying. You can clearly see there that devn00b was biased against Jihad as he has ALWAYS been. In GW2.5 the server went down the drains after he was caught with a character in Derangement. I was in Derangement for an evening and had screenshots of devn00b giving Dera Aegolism before Jihad tried to raid Felwithe. Of course there's no GM bias at all and dev threatened to up and leave when accused of it (which he later did).

So there you have it. Discuss.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
dmal0807
Fire Beetle

ok GermaniumSZ you think you guys are being treated unfairly. Why don't you go on any other server and act how you do on GW. Any decent server admin would ban you asap no one wants idiots like you ruining their server.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:37 PM
mattmeck

ok, locking thread thats to the people who decided to attack others.
Closed Thread