Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 PM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Default Compiling

I decided to put up a server again to play around with and was using the new EmuServer Rev2214. I have a few options I see as far as how I want to build it when. There has been 64 bit updates as well which look interesting. But I'm running into some problems.

I'm using VS10 which is a little different then a few years ago when I was using VS08. I didn't have a problem when I built the salution with perl512.
6 success 0 fails

But when I tried with perl514 it fails.
5/1

I followed Akkadius' guide and went into the properties of "World" and "Zone" and changed the "Additional Dependencies" and the "Additional Include Directories" so they would point to the perlx64 directory instead of the perlx86. When I build though it looks like it is still tring to find the perl512 instead the perl514.

but I keep getting this:
Code:
4>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'perl512.lib'
I notice the directory "perlx64" contains the "perl514.lib" and I went through all the other properties and made sure they where all pointing at the perlx64 also but still get the same error when I go to build. Unless I'm not doing it right which I figured might be the case considering I hadn't used VS10 before (and VS08 is old, hard to find and not recommended)

Which brings me to my next question. Does it really matter if I use perl512 or perl514? is there any advantages to building the salution with one or the other?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

According to your screen shot you're compiling for 32-bit, so setting the paths to the 64-bit libraries will cause you nothing but headaches.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Default re:compiling

So in order to compile correctly, I need to compile with the Releasex64 then set my paths for all x64 instead of the x86. Will that make it look for the perl514?

Don't really care if I use the 64 bit stuff or the 32 bit. But, if the 64 bit helps possibly with performance or runs maybe smoother..etc.. I would like to take advantage of the possible advantages.

I have both copies of perlx64 and x86 and MySQL I'm using is x64. Not sure about the zlib though (comes with both?).
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM
sorvani
Dragon

#1: Revert your SVN to clean.
#2: Open VS 2010
#3: Click Release x64 in Configuration
#4: Click x64 in Platform
#5: Click Build Solution
#6: Wait for it to finish
#7: Copy files to server directory.

If you do anything else you did it wrong.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Default x64 and x86

hmm, check this out.
I did exacly what was stated in the last post. Made sence but check out what happens. I even downloaded the SVN again to make sure I didn't mess up the solution some how. This is on rev2216.

I played with it a little but no matter what I do I get the same results every time.

No problems with the x86 though:

I guess if I can't get the x64 to build right I will just use the x86. I will just have to uninstall Perl 5.14 and install Perl 5.12.
Doesn't seem to make a difference with MySQL "seems" to work find even though it's x64.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
jdoran
Hill Giant

I do most of my work on Linux, but I seem to recall that the 64-bit compiler for Visual Studio is *not* installed by default. Might be worth looking into.

Or change the build to a 32-bit build and see if that works.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Ya, think your right about the 64 bit compiler not being installed with VS2010. Thought it came with it. Found this link:

How To Compile a 64 bit....

Which lead me to this link:

Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Ok guess I don't have the right setup for the Win7.1 SDK. It failed twice to install. But it looks like there is hope. Re-reading the setup guide it states that the Prof and Ultimate ver of VS2010 compiles 32/64 bit so looking into that.

Oh and my setup:
Win 7 64 bit Ultimate
16 gig DDR
Phenon II 6 core
NVidia 460 GT 1 gig DDR

I think considering the sys req for an EQ server. Should work nicely once I get it set up. Noticed there has been alot of changes to the svn since last I played with a server setup a few years ago. Can't wait to see it in action.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

If you're using the express version of Visual Studio, just compile the 32-bit versions of everything. There's really no difference between that and 64-bit that you would ever notice.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
sorvani
Dragon

did not realize you were using express. You can not compile x64 with express
Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Ya "was" using express. Also couldn't get the SDK to install (prob because it was express). I went ahead and got Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. Worked like a charm. 6 succ/ 0 fail on the 64 bit.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Wierd, it didn't put the .exe files in the build folder after the build. It created a 2nd folder "x64" and only the .dll file and the .exe files were in that folder. But copied those over to my server directory and followed the rest of the steps and everything works as far as I can tell. Started the server, logged on with no errors. I do get a debug message in my eqlaunch window when starting up. Probably nothing but here it is:

Code:
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_01.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_02.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_03.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_04.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_05.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_01, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_02, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_03, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_04, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_05, but it is alre
ady running.
Anything to worry about? Or is that normal?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismed0 View Post
Wierd, it didn't put the .exe files in the build folder after the build. It created a 2nd folder "x64" and only the .dll file and the .exe files were in that folder. But copied those over to my server directory and followed the rest of the steps and everything works as far as I can tell. Started the server, logged on with no errors. I do get a debug message in my eqlaunch window when starting up. Probably nothing but here it is:

Code:
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_01.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_02.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_03.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_04.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__WORLD] World told us to start zone dynamic_05.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_01, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_02, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_03, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_04, but it is alre
ady running.
[Debug] [LAUNCHER__ERROR] World told us to start zone dynamic_05, but it is alre
ady running.
Anything to worry about? Or is that normal?
Completely normal.

Here take some pills so I can meet my quota.

Oh sorry this is still not the doctors office.

But seriously, it's normal. It started processes and queued a sanity check on those processes and it is already running so it doesn't need to fire up new ones.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

You can get x64 to compile on Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express but it is a pain in the ass.
Then again that is my opinion and I am not a pro. Figuring it out took me 3 hours this morning and required me to uninstall some components and reinstall in the correct order plus fiddling with the project which really you shouldn't ever do now that Akkadius has it setup so nice for everyone.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Ok, awsome, now that I have everything set up and running "EQExcalibor" is listed on the EQEmu login server list now. Logged on and ran around a little. The x64 compile is complete and looks like it's running smoothly. I have it running with Perl514 and all the other 64 bit requirements.

I do have to give credit. Besides needing all the right programs for the build (some DOH moments) and everything. It is much easier then it was a few years ago when I first played around with this. There was soooooo much you had to screw with then. But I really like what has been done from what I have seen from the set up. Thank you all who have worked to make it as easy as it is now.

Now on to the fun stuff.

I was thinking family and friends to start with and maybe anyone else who wants to play on it. Maybe even revert it back to the Classic and work up from there. Deffently legit, it's no fun if it's not. Looking at the DB I see alot of things I remember playing with a few years ago. But if anyone has any tips where would be a good place to start playing with DB? This is for what I'm looking on doing. Plus a few questions if anyone can help....

1. Like the expantions variable in the DB.. If you set it to " 0 " does it revert it to classic. NPCs and all? I know with other expantions there are NPCs and other things added to zones. Does it take out those things from other expantions?

2. Also, what do I set to disable commands being used in game for other players? and/or keep people from starting out with GM status when they create a new toon.

3. How do I get it from starting in the Tatorial zone and actualy start in the cities depending on what race/class they are?

4. Client control? If I want people to use a certain client, is there a setting for that I can change to make people only be able to connect with a certain client?

5. Windows? Is there a way to control what windows actualy show up client side?

Sorry, so many questions. There is just so much to play with and not sure where everything is. Keeping in mind I am not a coder but I follow directions really well and am really good at figuring out some things. I have been doing alot of forum searches. I have a vague idea about some of these questions but not quite sure on others.

I do like the Anti cheat code though that I saw that was posted about MQ2 detection. It's fun and all to cheat sometimes if it's personal but again I like the challange of not using hacks. makes the game much more rewarding.
has that code been perfected. I like the idea of logging to a file for review. I wouldn't mind adding something to be able to detect the use of MQ2 or other hacks like that to a standard EQEmu build.

Anyway, great place you all have here. Been here for a few years now. If ya got any tip or hints that might be helpful through them my way. thanks