Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Jejukin
Fire Beetle

Default How to determine & duplicate item behavior

TLDR version:

I built a debian server, it works. If I GM summon the "gift of legacies lost," when right clicked it makes particle effects and that's it. Similarly, bundle of defiant armor or scabbard of hope just casts true north, and that's it. I would like to make it do it like the real thing.

Additional details:

Live, of course, is free to play. I have an account, I have these rewards available. I know how to do a packet capture with windump or wireshark (or tcpdump, but I'm not running my client in linux right now).

Everything here (in the eqemu world) is so cool and richly featured, and everyone has been really great about documenting their solutions for the good of the colony. I would love to contribute something, however small, to this incredible thing you've all established that I get to enjoy (thanks for that, by the way).

I'm a novice programmer/scripter (like 101 level C++ & java, perl familiarization for reading, and some basic python classes), and I'm fairly well versed on networking/packet structure & flow.

I don't need detailed step-by step instructions, I can troubleshoot and struggle through a long problem and whatnot. It's all part of such endeavors. But I have no background with EQ packet structure or how items are handled, so I really don't know how to get started. I don't want to screw up an opportunity to get the data I need, because I can only claim the reward once (live).

Any suggestions? Oh and I guess also... has this already been done? lol
Old 03-12-2015, 02:04 PM
kardath2
Fire Beetle

Look into spell scripts. No need to dig in the code or anything, just a bit of perl.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Jejukin
Fire Beetle

That's awesome, thanks!