Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:42 AM
diesalot
Fire Beetle

Default Going to expansions I do NOT have

Hi all. I was just wondering how/why it is possible for me to travel and fight in zones that I do not have? and having done so, what is it we are buying in the stores for $30?
I play on Scorpious2K. I never got LDoN, yet I can goto MIRC and MIRD and see the mobs and kill them. I've also bounced around and seen some of the other zones i do not have.

Anyone have a list of zones that are availiable? I'm not saying with mobs and such, empty ones are fine.
As far as I'm aware, the are the .s3d files in eq folder...
Old 04-28-2004, 07:49 AM
valaerosilantix
Sarnak

ready for this one?

Zone Files are sent when you patch.. that means that you have the zone files for every single zone, no matter if you got the program or not.

what buying the CD DOES do (other than activate the expantion in EQLIVE) is installs the gimmics that come with a zone. For example, you may never have bought LOY, but can get into LOY zones in EQEMU. But the files needed for the maps and the dye and frog figures are not on your system.

Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 AM
diesalot
Fire Beetle

Default um

I can and have used dyes also, and the character mods are def downloaded cause how else could I see you if you were one?
Only thing I've found that I do not have is the 2 extras lots in inventory. Was going to say the extra bank slots, but I seem to have aquired them in 5.7 dr2.
Also, how come on live if I had never patched since Kunark, I could still play, but here I cannot? (ok, maybe with all the new textures from the last 2 I might need...)
Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 AM
valaerosilantix
Sarnak

meh. dont get stuck on examples, I have all the expantions so cant pinpoint exact issues you will have :P
Old 04-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valaerosilantix
But the files needed for the maps and the dye and frog figures are not on your system.
That is not true. You download an expansion via the patcher, you get everything, maps, textures, the whole lot.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 AM
diesalot
Fire Beetle

So, we goto store and buy some more coasters (like I don't have enough of them allready) pretty much just to get the little confirmation number in the box?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 AM
ndnet
Hill Giant

LoY, LDoN, and Gates are downloadable expansions, meaning sure you can download them in their entirety from the patcher, but in order to get to them on Live you need the proper CD key. Since EQEMu ignores such restrictions, you're able to access those zones without actually "owning" the expansion. Buying the box set usually entails other bonuses, like a CD backup of the expansion, an in-game reward, and a keychain/figurine/waffle-iron/something. In a nutshell, though, yes, buying the box sets just gives you a fancy package for a CD key.

If you want to see which zones you have on your PC, go to a command prompt, CD to your EQ folder, and do a "dir *.s3d", to look for zone file names. Alternatively, check your patcher's settings to see just which expansions you're set to patch (and have probably downloaded) to know where you can probably go.

(As a note, while PoP and earlier expansions aren't downloaded expansions, the patcher program will download their zone files. There was at some point a restriction on exactly how much you can download from the patcher at a given time, and PoP went well over this limit, I recall, when I've tried to patch it in the past without reinstalling it. I'm not sure if it's still in place, but keep that in mind if you ever try to patch an expansion without installing the preliminary files first, hehe)