Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:57 AM
DanCanDo
Discordant

I've noticed "progression" servers setting things up to unlock content for the whole server.
I'm sure a lot of people enjoy that, but it's not my own personal preference. I do like the
mechanics of progressing your own character with zone levels, quests, etc., such as the
grind of getting flagged for potime and other zones. I used to think EQ Live had gotten too
silly long ago, but I logged on an old toon with that F2P and they have just got stupid in a
ridiculous way.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCanDo View Post
I've noticed "progression" servers setting things up to unlock content for the whole server.
I'm sure a lot of people enjoy that, but it's not my own personal preference. I do like the
mechanics of progressing your own character with zone levels, quests, etc., such as the
grind of getting flagged for potime and other zones. I used to think EQ Live had gotten too
silly long ago, but I logged on an old toon with that F2P and they have just got stupid in a
ridiculous way.
I used progression tied to account on my old server. That way catching up an alt was fairly simple.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:09 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Years ago we used account/guild based flagging on Nagafen's lair.

This isn't "Just unlock it for yourself".

This is "Unlock it for the entire server."

Most of the other races are well hidden in their home cities, which aren't the same zone connections.

But custom is custom.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:10 PM
JimB_1958
Sarnak

I consider myself both a player and an owner.

I was a player on Emu's for close to 5 years before I ever tried owning and Developing my own Server.

My first attempt was pretty much a complete Custom job and I was clueless about what people wanted. I just made the server something that I thought was fun and would play myself. I closed it after a couple of months with less than 5 population.

I went back to playing for a couple years and then got recruited to dev on Leetsauce in Feb of 2015.

It's a different kind of server. It gets some criticism for it's "Wide Open" style that allows people to get to max level fast. But, the vast HUGE amount of content available after max level keeps people interested and coming back. This is the Key to a good population IMO. Plenty of Content and some Unique features.

We have averaged 25-35 players pretty steady since October 2015 or so. Not the Huge numbers that some of the Legends Servers boast, but still in the top half of Preferred Servers.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

I too consider myself a player and an owner - the "Omni Guild of P99" is a server that seeks to emulate P99 as much as possible so that the Omni guild and our allies can log on to practice encounters in as realistic way as possible before we have to compete with other guilds on P99. The net effect is as our guilds progress through content I get a lot of play testing and database fixups done, so eventually I'll have a pretty decent (although not P99 quality) Velious server that I can use to build custom content thats more "Classic". I notice several servers on the list that are clearly the same...

Regards,
Mg
Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 PM
DanCanDo
Discordant

Since I originally started this thread a month ago, there is something I have noticed in
various past posts involving the whole scenario of some people who had started their
own server, but after awhile they decide to shut it down because of low population or
lack of interest by players. The way I am looking at this, someone develops, works on
a server and decides to put it up for public play. Then if it turns out there wasn't much
of an interest in it and doesn't attract a lot of players, why shut it down ?
If someone goes through all that getting the server in place, nothing is really going to
change with the fact that server is up and running. What I mean is, You don't gain or
lose anything (financial or otherwise), no matter how many or how little players are on it.
I would hate to think that a person's ONLY reason for starting up a server is to see that
infamous "player count" number. I guess maybe some people would think, well, if they
can't get the kind of player count they want, then it's not worth it to leave it going.
Personally, I think if someone is going through all that time and effort to put up a server,
I hope that person is doing what they enjoy. And if they are ? Why shut it down after
all that ? Even if everday, you look and see only 5 to 10 players, the server can sit there
for several years, if that was your original intentions.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Davood
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Over the past 6-7 months I've been recreating Classic EQ.

Pretty much the way it works is every zone is new, new mobs, drops, quests.

Everyone starts in Halas, basically a barbaric wasteland. Default race is barbarian.

Once people start exploring and unlock races/classes via quests they can then make that race/class.

There's even a system for an explorer that unlocks all races and classes to switch between them freely, and the level is saved. Sortof like final fantasy.

You start out as either 1. Barbarian Warrior. 2. Barbarian Shaman. 3. Barbarian Beastlord. 4. Barbarian Rogue.

Once the class/race is unlocked, it is done server wide. Races are going to be much more difficult to unlock than classes.

Any race can be any class once unlocked.

This is just an example of a tid bit of what is done over on my world.

None of the zone lines are classic, but the feel for the world is definitely a new experience of classic.

cool stuff.

does the game still allow for passive AA from multiple classes to actively stack? I remember abusing the f* out of it last year and the year before
Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Yes.

______