Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Ash Zidan
Fire Beetle

Default Add Remote Users to a Server Computer

Hello everybody,
I want to add remote user (located on other computers on a lan) to groups I have initiated on my server.
When I try to do that, the only location available shown to me is the server itself.... so what do I have to do??

Thanks for everybody.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM
provocating
Demi-God

That is pretty vague, more information is needed to even make a response.

Adding remote users for Windows accounts or for EqEmu users ??
Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Ash Zidan
Fire Beetle

Of course for windows accounts
The issue my friend is that I have a windows server 2008 on a LAN
and I want to create groups and add users from other computers on that LAN to these groups...
What I really face is the absence of the other location when I click Locations to add users from.
These are the steps i do:
Computer(right click)->Manage->Configuration->Local Users And Groups->Groups->(right click)->New Group->Add->Locations!
here is the problem!! No locations but the server itself!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Chanus
Hill Giant

The computers you're adding can't be Home/Basic editions of Windows, I don't think... if that helps.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I am guessing you are trying to add computer accounts to a domain server ? I do know you cannot add a computer to a domain with a home version of windows, and I am pretty sure you cannot remote into other computers on your network unless they are pro or better versions of windows.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Ash Zidan
Fire Beetle

They are WINXPs professional!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
provocating
Demi-God

So you are trying to add pro workstations to the domain ? Just making sure before I give you a step by step.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Ash Zidan
Fire Beetle

No not domain... LAN
Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
provocating
Demi-God

If you are just doing this for access purposes, so that you are not presented with a login when accessing the server then you just need to add a local account with the exact same credentials as the workstation. Then you pass authentication and not presented with a login. If you are trying to do this all from a workstation that is not part of the domain, give it up because you cannot do it. That is part of the security, you are not a member of the domain.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Ash Zidan
Fire Beetle

The first choice....
but can you be more precise please??
by the way forget about the title of the question.... I don't want remote users..
Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Okay, so you just want to be able to access the files on the server correct ?

On the 2008 server do this.

Click Start, in the white textbox type without quotes "local users"

In the local users box there you should be able to right click and add local users, give them some access rights and set the passwords for the users. It is essential that each user have the exact same password as the local workstation account does. If the login and password are exactly the same then you will have access to the server. Next thing is to setup a shared folder on the server somewhere and add those users giving them appropriate rights. Other than that, you should be okay.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Ash Zidan
Fire Beetle

Thanks for your efforts....
I'll try that out..
Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Just remember as long as the local accounts and the server account match verbatim, then you will have access to the server. Past that of course they have to have something to get to (The shared folder) and also have some type of rights to it. If you give a person admin rights to the server then they can always get to the admin share on the folder, which is there by default unless you take it away. So if you setup a server by the name of MyServer you can access it's c drive by going.

\\MyServer\c$

Or if you make a shared folder by the name of Shared then it would be like this.

\\MyServer\Shared

You can just type that in the url bar in My Computer or anywhere else, even Internet Explorer I think.