Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:37 PM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

Default New to this

What exactly is EqEmu, is it like a underground or pirate EQ server project, like can I make my own, I just came across this site looking for a guide for the Revenant level editor, seeing if I should make one.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
kawika
Sarnak

EQEmu is exactly that: A server project that emulates a Live server.

Basically, you can download the source, make any changes you see fit, compile it, start the server and do your thing. HOWEVER, right now we're not compatible with live, if you've patched (date depends on what source you use) you will not be able to log in.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:47 PM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

whats live? I haven't played EQ since a few weeks after planes of power came out, could I do something so my friends could use my expansion disks? like can I use all the expansions with a EQemu server?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 PM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

like most important, sony doesn't get a dime if I make one, and can I make it private so only my EQ buddies can join, atleast the ones that like the idea?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:11 PM
kawika
Sarnak

Exactly. There are quite a few tutorials on how to set up a private server with minilogin. The only $$ SOE gets is from you purchasing the software and refusing to throw some KY your way for all the time they've been raping you with monthly charges and new expansions.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

so, like up to any expansion works, like do I have to get all the sony patches, whats up with this DO NOT PATCH thing, I mean I'm really new to this lol.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Aydun
Sarnak

Default Greetings

Greetings,

It means that certain versions of the EQEMU client only work with certain versions of everquest itself ! So what you need to do is figure out the last date you patched and find an appropriate EQEMU client to work with it.. the easiest way to do this is to use a program called EQVerCheck , just use the search tool at the top of the forums, and follow it's instructions, it will tell you the proper version to use with your patch of EQ.