Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM
lgsource1
Fire Beetle

Default Discussion: Favorite EQEMU Servers

What are your favorite servers? For me there have been numerous custom servers that I really enjoyed:

* Enlightened Dark
* Ultimate EQ
* Varlyndria
* EZ Server
* Sanctuary (Previous incarnation)

What are your favorites (dead and alive?)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 AM
shadeknight
Sarnak

UltEQ
Varlyndria (current and past incarnations)
EZ (If only I could bother boxing - but I like the idea of the content)
Loot Hunters
LootFest
Descent of Darkness
Leetsauce
ImperiumEQ
Profusion
Rise of Norrath (Kingly's old server)
Anything Akkadius made (Funhouse, etc)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Anything by Secrets.
Anything by Akkadius.
New Freeport.
Varlyndria in my opinion, is hot garbage.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM
J3wish
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Anything by Secrets.
Anything by Akkadius.
New Freeport.
Varlyndria in my opinion, is hot garbage.
This. Add on Loot Hunters though.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

ImperiumEQ.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 PM
ak48
Sarnak

Enlightened Dark and Rogean's Raid Addicts
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM
jabedoben
Sarnak

I'd give my left nut to get Last World back.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

* Project 1999 - probably the closest to 'The Vision' that you're going to get under a modern client.

* EQClassic - Faithful recreation of classic EverQuest. What's not to love?

* TAKProject - Faithful recreation of EQMac, including the Mac client. History rocks to preserve, and will be going open source later on.

* The Edge Server (Edge II) - Probably was one of the coolest concepts for a server and set the standard for stat-based gameplay.

* Blood of the Akkadian - It is a shame no servers have the quality that this server did, but unfortunately was not sustainable to continue to pump out content using the coded systems.

* Akkadius's Funhouse - A continuation of the Times Five server that attempted to be balanced.

* Qeynos vs Freeport - I don't know why, but I loved to watch people duke it out in a shrunken Antonica. This could've been so much more.

* Enlightened Dark: Ascension - Custom content that didn't suck but still remained as faithful as possible to classic style EQ, but without classic style EQ.

* Scars of Amerous - Almost an honorable mention. Custom content in the style of raid addicts. One of the coolest tiered progression servers that lost its way over the years.

* Zebuxoruk - One of the first servers I played on in emu, made in an era before EQEmu had any resemblance to live EQ's mechanics. You had to admire the dedication of Jibbatwinkers who was constantly updating and adding new content, and the field of bone Sythrax lowbie zone area was iconic to me.

* Winter's Roar / Shards of Dalaya - Lost a lot of direction after Wiz started on Dawntide, but still remained a pretty damn cool experience similar to classic EverQuest. Had an auction house before auction houses were a thing with the listsold command.

* Scorpious2k - Probably the coolest custom server with a huge history. The custom content using Windcatcher's zone builder was both its strength and its downfall. As servers began to take structured gameplay approaches, this server lost its charm as it was too confusing for new players. A relic of a time gone by.

* EQEmu Guildwars - Emu PVP before Emu PVP became a thing, with concepts like land ownership that were way ahead of its time.

Honorable mentions that made an impact on me at some point:
* Altergate PVP
* image&devn00b's Zek's seasonal servers
* Red99
* EQ: Classless
* EQReborn & Legacy of Norrath
* Raid Addicts
Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 PM
adamle00
Sarnak

VoG - I have played the most here I think. Good dev(s) here and if you want to do PoP content without boatloads of boxes or bots and still have a challange.

Sanctuary - Really cool custom content here. This server has so much potential but has some insane timesinky aspects, with a few tweaks like zem adjustment - mob hp adjustments and tradeskill changes and you'd have some pure gold here.

New Freeport - Custom content here, looks pretty interesting but I haven't played much here as the classes I normally play aren't implemented yet.

And there have been some other interesting servers but the dev's who spin them up run out of funds and or have the attention span of a goldfish or whatever and the poof as fast as they appear.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:31 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

I always admire any custom server with unique ideas, as opposed to the run-of-mill sequels of content that come with a different name. It's not about simply having something different to look at, it's the game play. If you've climbed one mountain, you've climbed them all, just on different sides. There has been some great work on some of these projects, (past and present). Some don't even get enough recognition.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 AM
greenspectre
Fire Beetle

Project 1999- Most of us look into emu because of Nostalgia and p99 is king there. I knew I was reliving the dream when my bard was dodging drachnids on a corpse run from FV to LoIO and I could feel the heat on the back of my neck. Also, just sitting in a living, breathing, East Commons was an experience no other server can recreate.

VoG- Overall a solid dad server. This was the one where I finally learned how to box a group with MQ2, so it has a special place in my heart.

Imperium- I played several "Dad servers" but Imperium is king there. Being able to replay all content through OoW and beyond with a 2-man manual box setup was so fun, and super convenient to do when you have minimal free time thanks to the #zone command. I cannot understate how fun this server is. Every time I have an old EQ buddy wanting to get into emu I point them here first.

Classless (RIP)- Such an original concept and, at its peak, was implemented very well. FD'ing so your mage pet gets aggro, then standing up and quickly backstabbing before the mob turns around...that's the kinda wacky shit you could do on Classless and nowhere else. Also, nothing felt better than finally getting an important spell to drop (SoW especially). ALSO ALSO....Dual Wielding with Ghoulbane! I was so sad when this one shut down.

Sanctuary- The first truly full custom server I played. Very original design and I loved feeling out the new classes, but ultimately very timesinky, and being able to 2-box without paying would have helped keep me on.

Alternate EQ- This one was a really fun run through classic EQ with unique class/race combinations. Did a run with an Ogre Paladin and Troll SK. Several items received very unique attention, and it really made getting certain pieces feel worthwhile. Custom quest content interweaved with classic content seamlessly.

New Freeport- Having fun so far. GM is super responsive. The only server to convince me to roll a druid, like, ever.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Ricksauce
Fire Beetle

TZVZ
shards of dalaya