Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Default Bridged connections+server question

I'm aware of but never used bridging of connections in networking. If I understand it right, it could be used to say run my server as lan for those in the house, and be able to host through 4g for public. Am I off base here in my understanding? Has anyone tried this?

I'd like to put server public when I get some work done on it, or public with a lock if someone is interested in helping with the newest expacs first and working backwards to fill in enough gaps between the oow current developing, and rof2 where emu maxes out, but using 4g tethering for internet and router for intranet is only way it would be usable here AND outside, due to the ping of satellite. Is there any way of doing this?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:47 AM
Wilin
Fire Beetle

Hi,

After reading a few of your posts, Your situation seemed a bit similar to mine. I wanted a home server (Media, Backups etc..) but also have EQEmu running on a VM.

A guy I work with recommended using this software as he uses it himself & I gotta say its been super simple to set up, has great support & the forums have a wealth of knowledge.

https://lime-technology.com/

My own home server runs a VM of server 2012 hosting the EQserver in which we play on via LAN.

As for the bridging of connections, You may find the answer to your questions on thier forums.

Hopefully You or some others may find this to be of some use.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:35 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

If you're talking about unRAID, it's much easier to install Virtualbox or VMware Workstation on Windows than to get this all up and working passably. If you're going to go with a full hypervisor, I would recommend ESXi way before unRAID unless you have a bunch of disks and a setup that'd benefit from it.

Unless I'm missing something in the point you're trying to make, of course.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:44 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

If I ever get around to fixing my home server I'll keep this in mind for a second server setup testing etc , but I'm really liking that I put the main one on a portable machine, though it was done by process of elimination.

I'll have to dig into bridging connections elsewhere and see if it could work here I guess. Doesn't seem like anyone's done it, but it's not all that common. Want to use home network, which is attached to wan via satellite and won't work for hosting elsewhere, and use cell tether for connecting outside. I suppose k should first try playing live with my phone connection first to see if it's even worth trying. Last night I got on live to do some research on missing vendors in pok, then got bombarded with other things bc i was dumb enough to log in on my main toon. Anyway i stayed on til 630am, and our net speed drops to nothing by 615 at the latest, i made the mistake of zoning and got stuck zoning for 15-20 minites unable to use any other tab on my pc except my other ew instance, eqemu lol. Oddly...when it finally finished zoning the game had sat me down, and put up afk lol. Wonder if that's a new feature or something. I hate the autogrant aa feature I found last night though. Anyway i ended up scrounging to get a krono so id have a sub and not lose 800+ AAs just by logging out. 800aas i had earned years ago they refunded doing some rearranging, but then were floating way above storage cap and unspendable without all access acct. Fun stuff. I'm liking more and more being locked in time when I last played, seeing what's come the last few years. My SK mount hotkey was no longer usable as they made it summon a bridle instead of the mount and now I can't multibind my mount and invis as I had always done, one being a clickie the other an AA. Anyway, back to eqemu I am.

Oh and now I understand how old players felt with some newer expand. My level 100 raid gear that made me top sk and 3rd tank overall on the server when I left, was now not even as good as junkdrop tradeable group gear except a tiny bit of focus effects. Ferocity was much high on the group stuff, another effect was now click and become free aa, the heroic stats on this group gear are all in the 2 and 3 digits, and some items even ac blew mine out of the water. And some of these items so common they sold for 2k in the bazaar. So lost.