Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Chrono
Sarnak

Post Relics of Markeloth [Staff Recruitment]

I have a new server which I've been working on for about 3-4 months. It's a big project and in truth, I've been trying to do it all myself and it's taking it's toll on me, hence this post.

This is my third project, I was the previous owner of the following two EQEmu Servers:

Sha's Revenge (Green preferred server around 2005-2006ish?)
EQ Legacy (Classic EQ back in 2008-2009 ish) which I think once died inspired Nilbog's creation of Project1999 :P

It's essentially a server that is taken a lot of the more modern MMORPG's aspects into EverQuest, a few of which I've never seen done/attempted by EQEmu servers. So I don't want to go into too much detail about it as I would like to keep it unique for now!

Some points off the top of my head though:
  • Actual lore/storyline, which players can discover and unravel throughout playing. Going to libraries to read books, or just chatting with local townsfolk.
  • Public Raid Bosses: Bosses that roam throughout zones which people can group up to kill, with a system that gives you points dependant on how helpful you were during the fight and rewards based on how you did also.
  • Instead of EQ's trend of killing mobs endlessly, you will be mostly questing instead, actually killing for a reason which also keeps you in touch with the lore and story.
  • Instanced 1 Group Dungeons for players to find and try to beat, on different modes. Easy, Normal, Hard, and Expert modes, each mode with different rewards and harder bosses.
  • Each class can choose a path while playing, giving 48 different choices of who you could play!
  • Complete revamp of tradeskills, making new ones and making them generally more useful. IE. Instead of players just being able to do all tradeskills which I think kills economy a bit, players are limited to just one tradeskill.
  • Theres 3-4 other things that makes this server completely unique however I don't really want to release this information just yet!

I have a stable server host with 120MB download, 10MB upload, so hosting isn't an issue.

Usually the projects I do solo but I fall short mainly because of lack of support/help, but this time I'm doing a different approach and hoping to create a team to help develop this fresh new server with me for a server that will be around for a long time.

So I'm recruiting some staffers, you will be required to read up on the documentation I have made, reading the GM Lore documents so you understand the storyline until any development or touching the server as it's important you aren't just creating stuff randomly.

Short term it's pretty voluntary work basically, however long term once we are officially launched there's some potential of being paid for your time if it's good enough and follows the standards. [Don't expect some sort of full time wage here, just a little bit of $ for your time :p]

I'm looking for:

Lead GM
  • In this role I expect you do be extremely flexible with your skills being a good all rounder, with good experience with EQEmu servers, being able to spawn zones if needed, create items, creating quests, good with SQL, being coherent as you will be the go-to guy for all other GMs/Guides. Distributing work flow to other GMs/Guides

Website Developer
  • I don't particularly mind what languages you use to develop the website, I will pay for the hosting and provide a login to develop the website. Unless of course you already have hosting, then that's fine :p

Graphic Designer
  • Experienced Photoshop user creating PSDs for websites, role possibly not required of website developer is skilled enough to do this as well.

Coder
  • I'm trying to keep the code as close to EQEmu's set code as possible as I don't want to fall too far behind the code as from experience if a major change gets updated its hard to get back up to date, and I would love to have my server mainly RoF Client based in the future. So it's essential any diffs that are made are logged or maintained in a way that we can also integrate with the newer EQ code when needed.

Content Developers [Will probably change once we're done with content, which means you'd qualify for a GM role afterwards if you wanted, but we will be developing expansion content while game is out]
  • If you do wish to apply for this role, it is completely mandatory you read up on the lore and don't spawn random stuff, your first few zones will be quality checked by either me or the Lead GM.

And we're going for quality over speed here, my first zone developed is taking a good week but I have quest scripts for almost every NPC in the zone, blacksmiths hammering at their anvils, NPCs that randomly talk to eachother, lots of tasks etc. I want players to walk through zones that have lots of action and things to do.

I know some people are especially good at creating spells, or creating quests scripts but if you apply and feel you are stronger in certain roles then just say what you are good at.

Also included in this role is someone that wishes to develop the lore further, if you have a passion for good storylines and lore your task may well be to write in depth lore and populating books for libraries across the world.

Game Masters
  • Game Masters will essentially be guides that have proven themselves to be helpful towards players and activity will also play a big factor in the promotion from Guide to GM.

Guides
  • Guides will be recruited probably during Beta stages of the server, however if you wish to apply now that's fine, I'll keep them in a folder and look them over when we're actually recruiting. [This role is based completely on helping players, answering support tickets, petitions and answering any help threads on forums, no access to content development]

Now I honestly don't expect all these roles to be filled, at this point I'd be happy with a couple of people being involved in the project. And it may be there are lots of people out there that fill a couple of these roles at once.

This project is in it's early stages and I hope to increase the speed dramatically with some extra help.

If you are interested at all in helping, I've set up a mini application form HERE.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

If your looking for a lead GM, well im looking for a server to work on.

After recent happening on my own project, ive been looking for another server to work on and help expand.

I do like the idea behind your server it sounds great. Kinda similar to what ive been wanting to do on my own.

One question though what kind of skill are you yourself bringing to the project?

You are free to throw me a message if you care to chat more.

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Zamthos
Discordant

This seems like an interesting idea, however it doesn't seem that the coder position is scripting, is that so? Also, I would love to see the current content, is there anyway to access the server as of yet?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Chrono
Sarnak

I'm a bit of an all rounder, decent with PHP/SQL, but my strength is content development so I would mainly be focused on that department ideally but will have to see how it goes with what interest we have in each area.

I'm lacking in C++ though, so I would love someone that's familiar with the current code to help out.

Definitely interested in a chat, I'll drop you a PM!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Chrono
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamthos View Post
This seems like an interesting idea, however it doesn't seem that the coder position is scripting, is that so? Also, I would love to see the current content, is there anyway to access the server as of yet?

Yeah by coder I meant mainly C++, like I said the roles aren't really set in stone, it might happen where someone is great with perl/c++ but might suck at spawning zones, so we'll utilize him to make complicated perl scripts and code in C++.

And there's currently not really enough content to play through to make it worthwhile at the moment, I'm hoping for beta in a couple months though. Maybe quicker depending on how many we have in the team.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Chrono
Sarnak

When you fill out the application remember to put in your EQEmulator forum name, or at least e-mail in so I know who you are and can contact you back!

There was one that just came in that didn't do it. I've marked it as required now and deleted the application so you can try again, it was the one that started like this:

Quote:
[=] Lead GM or Assistant Lead GM - My desire is to be a team player, regardless of title.
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Chrono
Sarnak

Got a really positive response so far, way better than expected!

I've created an IRC channel if anyone has questions regarding the development, I'll try and be idling there 99% of the time, can't guarantee I will actually be there as I do have a 9-5 job aswell! But hopefully someone in the staff will be about.

It's #rom @ eqemulator.net port 6667

I'll probably keep applications open for about a week before closing them and making final decisions, then press forward with the project.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Chrono
Sarnak

Going to stop all applications on Friday evening, so if your interested in helping towards the project, make sure you fill out the application by then, if you want a bit more information about the project, feel free to drop by in IRC and send me a PM!

Thanks.