Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Oaric
Sarnak

Default Most updated servers?

Anyone able to give me a list of servers that have the new zones and drakkin playable race?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 AM
ccody1025
Fire Beetle

Most servers i have tried have SoF enabled, allowing access to the new zones (assuming you can port there, or use the #zone command) as well as allow drakkins to be playable....But unless the server op has actually put in the mobs in the TSS+ zones, they will be empty
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 AM
trevius
Developer

Right now, it would probably only be custom servers that are making use of the zones past Titanium. That is because we would need the packet collectors working to make them easy to fill in like Live, and also because PEQ is still a ways away from getting to Titanium+ expansions for their Database. My server, Storm Haven, has a couple of SoF zones in use so far for the leveling content I am working on. I just finished up the first 2 and am making an SoF server base for getting to the new SoF content that is in the works atm. Once the base is done, I will be starting on another leveling zone, but they do take quite a bit of work and time to complete each one. Also, when I say "SoF zones", I don't always mean that the zone comes from the actual Secrets of Faydwer expansion. I mean that it is a zone that is included with the SoF install that is not included with Titanium, so it can be any of the multiple expansions in SoF that are after the Titanium ones. So far, I have Crescent Reach, Ruins of Takish-Hiz, and the new SoF base is Temple of Marr (freeporttemple). The next leveling zone I am going to start will probably be Stone Hive.

I don't know of any other servers offhand that have SoF content available yet, but if there are any, I would definitely like to check them out to see how it is coming along

Hopefully, once the packet collectors are working again, SoF content will start flowing in much quicker for all servers. Until then, it will be fairly slow to make high quality content in the zones.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Trevius, what kind of packet collectors have there been, and what kind of packet collector would you like to see? Also, packet collectors aren't working due to..?

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
Trevius, what kind of packet collectors have there been, and what kind of packet collector would you like to see? Also, packet collectors aren't working due to..?
I think this thread should answer those questions:
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20278

In short; We used to have some custom made packet collector tools that would allow us to collect stuff about NPC spawns, doors, objects, pathing, etc. Some work is being done to get them working again and they do just about everything we could need from them. Basically, they collect the packets and save them and then are able to convert that information to fill in the database automagically. It saves a huge amount of time for servers that might want content that emulates Live closely (like PEQ). It is also nice for custom servers, since it can give a nice base of NPCs in a zone to make less work depending on how much customization they are wanting to do. And for any type of server, having door, object, zone point information is almost essential when building a zone, so that is great stuff to have. It would also be good for collecting stuff like AA info and others.

The reason they don't work is because they have to be maintained regularly to stay compatible with Live after every patch and they fell behind at some point years ago. Since then, they have become completely useless and so far behind that it will take quite a bit of work to get them fully back up-to-speed again. First, we need them to be able to compile, which is the first big hurdle. After that, we will have to update all of the packet structures and Opcodes, and probably some database schema stuff to make them fully functional again. And even after that, we will have to make sure to keep them updated after each change so they don't fall too far behind. Hopefully, we can get them on the SVN so people can openly fix their issues instead of having them maintained by only a single person or something.