Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 PM
KingMort
Banned

Trev deleted a bunch of posts because there was some confusion about what is legal and what isn't that started to heat up.. Wasn't anything against you He is just keeping the peace..

King
Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
trevius
Developer

Yes, people need to stop with the personal attacks. These forums need to be a peaceful place to discuss EQEmu, and that is it. I did delete more than was required to get rid of the drama, but I figure that people need to be punished for breaking the rules and simply deleting their rule breaking post isn't much of a punishment.

And to Loic/Aergad/Cole/Corvanus/etc:

Yes, I have made a point to ask for source code in the past, but that was only when the programs were made by you. Your history here is enough to warrant a request to have a dev review the source. Drakelord doesn't have a bad history as far as I am aware, so I don't think seeing the source is required. Don't bother commenting on this post, Loic, or the post will just be deleted. Obviously you think the rules don't apply to you since you keep coming back ban after ban. Since the rules don't apply, we can make up any reason we want to ban or mod you however we like with no questions asked. So, don't even get started, please.

Last edited by trevius; 05-23-2009 at 01:00 AM..
Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

I am actually in contact with a sony legal representative, "Olivia J. S. Malmstrom, Counsel", regarding this project. I'll know whether or not I can continue after this,
Old 05-23-2009, 02:55 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

Good work Drakelord.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:45 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loic View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but I am none of those people do some fact checking prior to accusation please trevius. I am only Me and have joined the project quite recently, I did however do searches on other patchers and launchers before i made these replies so again please fact check before accusing thank you very much and have a nice day.

As for releasing the source to me it matters not either way in my view it is up to the developer whether or not to release their source, I was merely pointing out that people like reviewing the source. However that said, I have read many of the posts reguarding the people you mentioned Trevius, and well let me say that I personally feel that had you and others not auto jumped the person whom ever it may be their history would not be so tarnished.

What is it you expect? people to to take your accusations and ranting and flaming and such without a word? I think all parties involved in making him or her the pariah of eqemu need to take responsibility for it and not only place the blame on him it takes two or more to have a disagreement and ALL parties involved share in the blame.

Now back to the post at hand. Personally the idea of some form of universal launcher system seems like a good idea, the patch system seems to tred a bit on thin ice to me a bit too close to the VERY thin ice that is caused by the inherent dangers of such a app to patch the client for me to personally use.

None the less that said, it is a good idea and well put together so my compliments to you drakelord. Might I suggest adding some graphics to it? Perhaps to make it appear more like the normal patcher/launcher that eq has by default to make it seem a bit more seamless with whats already there?
It all depends on what this Sony lawyer writes back with. If she gives me the "don't do any of this or we will finger you" response, I'll probably just stop here. If its like Kingmort says and they don't care, then I will do some things like spruce it up a bit,
Old 05-24-2009, 07:25 AM
KingMort
Banned

My god ...

Trev

You have the patience of a veteran server op...... Seriously most don't gain that skill fast..

Keep up the good work

Aergad .. I don't really have anything against you man but lets keep this stuff on topic....

The main part the main reason I back this project up is because it will bring in thousands of totally un-savey players.. Meaning those who gave up before trying to set up short cuts and ect ect will now have that task be easier..

This is a LOT to ask of the eqemu community but:

I would like to also have this patcher program give the options to set up accounts in a more User Friendly method..

I really don't know how you would do that and be totally secure.. But wow would we ever get a huge influx of new players if that was done..

King
Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

It wouldn't be hard to code. However, it would require that the eqemu admins trust me enough for that. Either that, or I would have to just code it and give them the software and let them handle the running of it.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:11 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loic View Post
OH forgot one little bit here, i suggest hard coding checks into the patcher to make sure that it doesnt allow patching of the core client files that way theres no way anyone can abuse it
And how do you plan on doing that? At best, I can make it so that "eqgame.exe" cannot be copied, but then if they just rename it to spells_us.txt and transfer it?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

*tear*

I got my reply from the lawyer, lol.

"Unfortunately, I cannot discuss SOE's plans, strategies, decisions or past actions.

Thank you!"

So now its like, "Uhh... what to do now...."
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM
zergling
Sarnak

Did anything ever come of this? Or did you just shelf it indefinitely?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
Did anything ever come of this? Or did you just shelf it indefinitely?
It was shelved for legal reasons.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

that's disappointing to hear. I was hoping this project would take off.