Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Malodorous
Fire Beetle

Default Game Crashes on Start

Installed Titanium and followed the EQEmulator setup instructions to the letter, on two PC's today. On one it runs just fine every time, on the other every time you start it it crashes. The error message you get from Windows just says "eqgame.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" I have double checked all of the steps from the EQEmulator setup and it is all as it should be.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:01 PM
trevius
Developer

Have you checked the FAQ that is linked in my sig yet? It has solutions for many common issues. When do you get that error? Is it right after you click the shortcut, or after you log in, or after selecting a server, or some other place?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Malodorous
Fire Beetle

As soon as you double click the shortcut, the screen turns black as if it were loading the launcher, then you get the error. I have tried adjusting the resolution to all available settings and it is the same every time.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:07 PM
trevius
Developer

That definitely sounds like a resolution problem. Did you try running the EQ config program as mentioned in the FAQ for that problem?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Malodorous
Fire Beetle

Tried all available combinations of desktop and game resolution, problem persisted throughout. Uninstalled, reinstalled with the same results. I backed the video driver to a version over a year old, and BAM it works more or less. Much of the in-game text is fubared however. If you're familiar with the narrow little squares and boxes you get when your system is asked to display a character that isn't installed on a given font set in your PC, that is what it is doing, unfortunately it is almost all of the text. This, sadly enough, is duplicated on two wildly different PC's.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
trevius
Developer

Glad you got it resolved. If your fonts are showing up oddly, you are probably running an LCD monitor and not running EQ at your monitor's native resolution. Try running in Windowed mode and see if that corrects the font issues (ALT+ENTER). If that fixes it, then just make sure when you are running in full screen mode, you are running at the native resolution of your monitor.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Malodorous
Fire Beetle

I am so sorry, I am sure I seem pretty thick-skulled at this point. I set the monitor's native resolution to the same as EQ (actually tried several different resolutions, but always matched the monitor to the game) and the text graphics issue remains constant.

Pic below shows what I am talking about.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 PM
trevius
Developer

My guess is that you are playing on a server that has "CEQ" (Chinese EQ) in it's name. Unless you have Chinese fonts and know how to read Chinese, I recommend trying a server that isn't Chinese.