Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 PM
KLS
Administrator

Default Login

Trying to get a feel for what people's thoughts are on upgrading login. It would be something we would need donations for. If we can get them we most definitely want to get EQEmu to a more stable setup.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Rezbee
Sarnak

Default My thoughts

You want honest or political?

I'll go with honest. If I throw any duckets you guys' way, its gotta be open source. I don't mind throwing $100 or so for a solution, but I'm not throwing that out there for a bandaid to an amputee, or something that will be stale in a year because devs that own the software go inactive. My take is, show me that it will be open source and there is some work being done to put it in action and I'll start the donations.

Political?
Well I'd say we need to meet half way, create a login server for the community that allows them to create their own accounts and let the two login servers (the one for EQEMU and for the server) co-exist, so if either login server is down someone can still at least login to the server. It would be great for people that wish to bypass the laggy website to create a login account and it would also bypass a LOT of load on the main login server itself.

This means that the login servers would be completely separate entities, each pulling in its own username and password, so in theory, userA can login from server's login server but never have to create an account for EQEmu... and visa-versa.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Rezbee
Sarnak

^^ This means that the login servers would be completely separate entities, each pulling in its own username and password, so in theory, userA can login from server's login server but never have to create an account for EQEmu... and visa-versa.

That doesn't mean though that by creating a username on <insert some server name here>'s website would inject the username/pass in the main login server, it just means that the world server itself would accept logins from both the public login server and a private, username/password based server. Thats something I'm willing to stretch my wallet on
Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Seems like this is a software/maintenance problem and not a hardware one.

What hardware is EQEmulator.net currently running on?

A simpler idea might be to move these forums to the ProjectEQ forums, thus freeing up the current hardware just for handling logins.

In the alternative, I know the PEQs EQ server is being replaced, so they might be willing to let their old server go for cheap.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Well, I think KLS and the Google SVN group have already earned whatever donations they need. I'm sorta hoping this is a brand new idea with a new login and new administration, and it would be nice if it were open source - but I trust KLS & Co. judgment on what ever it is they are working on, and how ever they want to do it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Rezbee
Sarnak

I may be totally wrong MNWatchdog, but I think its a maintenance issue rather than hardware. The server seems to just lock up at random points during the day with no persistant pattern indicating that it is not a traffic/request issue which would point to hardware. This is completely random almost like a program is hanging on the server and isn't getting proper attention (i know cpanel servers are plagued with problems if they don't maintain the backup service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
Well, I think KLS and the Google SVN group have already earned whatever donations they need. I'm sorta hoping this is a brand new idea with a new login and new administration, and it would be nice if it were open source - but I trust KLS & Co. judgment on what ever it is they are working on, and how ever they want to do it.
No doubt Angelox... Do doubt. I just don't want this to turn into another failed project though. I'm not saying its not a good idea to throw some donations their way, I'm just saying I wouldn't be comfortable with it unless I know it is or has the ability to be a redundant project.

PS: Adding one more line to your signature might get you a Grammy for the longest signature award LOL :P
Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 AM
KLS
Administrator

And yes let me add, I'll have more of a hand in keep tabs on said future server than I do now.

Also hardware is def a factor. I'm not going to list the hardware specs but 512 mb of ram would be an upgrade. So you get the picture.

Last edited by KLS; 03-17-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Demi-God

I am reading people saying new login/administration and upgrading. Are you asking for donations to upgrade the current server or are you talking about updating the login source with the new netcode and splitting the project.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM
bushman77
Hill Giant

Default ls source

i thought the login server source itself was strictly closed source (something dto do between sony and eqemu and the encryption being held tightly by sony. so i suppose we are lucky to have the public login server that we have. I'm hoping that it is only software based issues and who ever is handling the code for the ls figures out what is going on with it.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Our login server has nothing to do with sony. This is home grown, and quite old. The LS is closed source because of the encryption is true though. The folks that wrote this server do not wish for it to be released. In truth we have been fortunate to have this public login server, but it has nearly outlived its usefulness and has started becoming a liability. It's time to move on and get something that is held by the folks that are more active and can see that it is properly maintained.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I always thought since the current source holders don't want to publicize the source, they used 'scare tactics' and excuses like EqEmu having agreements with SOE?
Anyway, if there is a new public login, it probably will be protected, but for reasons other than the SOE one ( I was just wishful thinking).
Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

The reason the ls is closed are two fold.

1) soe would change the crypto, leading to days of downtime.
2) the base code wasnt written by anyone at eqemu and they dont wish it to be released to the public.

To release any kind of loginserver with the crypto would anger the sony gods.
Regardless if you agree with it, thats the way it is.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by devn00b View Post

2) the base code wasnt written by anyone at eqemu and they dont wish it to be released to the public.

Thanks for chiming in. I didn't realize it was sony crypto. I thought it was written specifically for the LS... That clears that up...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Rezbee
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by devn00b View Post

Anyone can break that crypto with just an ounce of search on the net. KLS said himself on the PEQ forums that he broke it in a matter of mins if I recall correctly. Its not that hard, I've tried it myself and its not like that the crypto.dll can't be found on google or anything

The ONLY reason to keep the next login server project closed source is for a captive audience. I have no problems with that, but what I do have a problem with is throwing cash out and something happening either irl or in the community to the lead person and not signing over the reigns on the project.

Speaking of which, is it just me or has the ls server been down nearly all day?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

If it was that easy..why hasn't anyone released a working 7.0 login?

mmmhmm..

Really tho it isn't THAT hard.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server