Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by devn00b View Post
If it was that easy..why hasn't anyone released a working 7.0 login?

mmmhmm..

Really tho it isn't THAT hard.
Because the antithesis of "If it ain't, don't fix it." now exists.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 AM
KLS
Administrator

I'm not going to argue the ethics of open sourcing the LS or not. Yes, it's easy but it still takes a bit of technical know how that most people don't possess to get. It's also really weak. You can draw your own conclusions on the downsides and why the person who wrote it didn't want it released. And why we're probably not going to release the source to the new one we made.

That said I'm going to clarify what we want to happen. Basically as anyone who's been here more than a day knows the server is unstable, really unstable. It's also controlled by people who while willing to put time they have into it just don't have enough time to keep it running. We want to get a new server because this one sucks and I will be stepping into a more active role in terms of maintaining the server.

I'm sorry if I gave anyone a people's revolution vibe, this is the current admin's ideas not mine. =p
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

Quote:
but it has outlived its usefulness and is a liability.
Fixed.

Quote:
Basically as anyone who's been here more than a day knows the server is unstable, really unstable.
Tragically unstable. Horrifically unstable. Homocidal Rage inducing instability. That sort of thing.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
this is the current admin's ideas not mine. =p
That says the whole story - no matter to me anyways, I already have mini-login and the home box edition working fine, I thought I might be helpful with the "new" Public LS that never did a thing for me in the first place!

I already donated to 'current admin's' and also rallied donations to them a while back. There was no reply at all, no 'thank you' posts for the donators, and the result for that are the Forums and Server you have now (no action taken).

When you all decide to start a NEW project to where it belongs to at most you and a few of the active developers, then I'll gladly donate.

As far as I'm concerned, the 'current admin's' are long gone (by their own will), and should have no say in it any more.

If you want, put up a donation icon on the Google SVN site, so I will feel like the money is going to you.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
KLS
Administrator

That is the idea, they are long gone so they need to hand it off to someone who isn't. I don't know why this idea is so complex that no one seems to get it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Demi-God

The encryption for the LS has been announced multiple times, taking the old LS and upgrading to current would take a bit of effort. Sony decided to do some rework of their netcode base related to how they handle packets and CRC's etc. Either way I don't think KLS would have to go through all this work if Doodman is passing it on.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 AM
KingMort
Banned

I would like to donate to this cause on a regular monthly basis but I would need to talk to whoever is "IN CHARGE" now... Can reach me in #kmra on IRC anytime..

KingMort
www.raidaddicts.org
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Rezbee
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
That is the idea, they are long gone so they need to hand it off to someone who isn't. I don't know why this idea is so complex that no one seems to get it.
People's Revolution sounds a bit dramatic. I don't see how creating a brand new login server from say the mail server or chat server like has already been done will cause any kind of revolution. I do see how it will stimulate this community, encourage more developers to help the community, and provide redundancy for the project, none of which can even be remotely considered as detrimental to anyone other than the person whos going to control the project.

Devn00b you asked a question, the answer was in the post, keeping the captive audience is the reason so one would think, though people will still come here to develop and if they don't there will be a better project most likely somewhere else.

The thing is, when and if it ever is released opensource everyone wins. Imagine the possibilities, global chat, server-to-server tells, login redundancy, and even forks (good forks ;P) of the project.

I'm just going to be completely honest. There is $100.00 waiting on the first person who can get a stable LS developed and $50.00 thereafter monthly until I decide I'm tired of EMU. That is my pledge but I am not doing so knowing that the project has the same potential to be right back where we started from a week, month, or even year down the road. There has to be a warranty of sorts that this situation we are in now never, EVER happens again; and the only answer I can conjure is open source.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 AM
number6
Sarnak

I will donate for the login server host upgrade. However I do strongly believe that we need a non-centralised alternative to the central server to stop the project dying further down the road when things happen - as indeed it has nearly died at the moment due to the flakiness of the current setup.

All I ask for is a minilogin that does more than just IP based authentication, and will run on Linux (or, sigh, under WINE on Linux at a pinch). There are great benefits to being part of a centralised login server for operators that want to attract passing traffic, but for a "friends and family" server operation like mine, I simply don't need the public server but also I need to support the people who live in the same house and share the same IP address, and messing around with php scripts every time those people zone simply isn't going to cut it.

(no offence is intended to anyone - I have the greatest respect and admiration for people like KLS who have done so much to keep the project alive)
Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM
classiceq
Sarnak

Default My Offer

Regardless of what the issue is I personally won't put in any money unless it becomes 100% open source.

However, I will offer the following to support a login server/forum/web site etc.

3MB up/down redundant T1 config - Cisco 2811 Router, PIX Firewall, Static IP's

HP G5 Dual Quad Core Server with 16GB Ram and RAID 5 Array. 6-146GB SAS Drives

Located in my hardened datacenter in San Antonio that I personally own.

It is staffed 24x7.

No charge with a long term guarantee. I want to see this project progress.

It may not make sense to some but there are things I have learned from this project. Database structure, programming etc. The list goes on.

Anyway, That is my offer. The facility is real. The offer is real.

Feel free to contact me.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 PM
classiceq
Sarnak

Default Forgot to Mention

Currently the server I support is running on this same server hardware.

It is on the public login server. Black Hand of Doom or BHOD.

It is set up with VMWARE to support multiple server emulators.

EQ, DAoC, Quake etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this part.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 AM
KingMort
Banned

You know , I actually agree with classiceq the login server should be open source... But if that doesn't end up happening I would like to help out so the community stays alive.. In the end that is what is most important..

King
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Necx
Fire Beetle

Question

I would like a layout of the Plan for the login server before i just start handing money out.

I Don't post here but been following progression steadly.

If a Plan was placed on what is in store rather then a oh we are looking into a login server replacement. I'd be greatly inclined to give a helping hand. (no im not saying i don't trust anyone just want to make sure its going to more of a help then a PITA)

How bout Look at options consider it don't have to reveal hardware or specs maybe a goal $ to reach and set a prox cost of montly fee to run it?

I dunno. But i would like to see some better organization.
before hand.

IF a good plan comes through id love to throw a grand or close down to help.

Either way though login server and the upkeeping of the current one sucks.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Demi-God

I might release a new minilogin server of sorts that allows you to register 20 users and probably 5 world servers. But it will allow you to register by user/pass.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.