Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Stappy
Fire Beetle

Default Request for log in status...

It is frustrating to sit at the keyboard for hours trying lo log in. Can you give us an idea of when to check back so we don't sit at the keyboard? I know it's down and has had intermittent, brief windows of time where ppl could get in, but any educated guesses on when things will get back online?

By the way thanks to the dev guys (and gals) for all their hard work.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Rezbee
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Without the approval of the person who wrote the Login Server code, it would be illegal for the source to be opened.
Why is this even an excuse? Why open the source when all we have to do is rewrite it. It would take what, KLS, 10 hours tops? Maybe I just have too much faith in KLS =P
Old 03-22-2009, 02:34 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Its already been done.

www.universalconquestonline.com/lswork.jpg

Image finished it up tonight.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Demi-God

I helped write the Login Server so heh... I already had it to begin with, just outdated.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Aergad
Banned

Personally i wouldnt want the source to the LS Released however a precompiled version? that would be awesome even if they limited the ammount of servers that can connect to it and what not it would be a huge step up from minilogin. that all said devnoob is hosting a new LS that is apparently compatable with the latest servers, so obviously its not impossible to make one.. perhaps more people should make an attempt at it I dunno/

I do know that while Trevius has alot of valid points not all server owners are worried about numbers and exposure, some of us want a private server for just some friends or what not to play on that isnt, dependant on the public ls or in which people that live in the same house with the same ip have to go through a ton of steps to be able to play at the same time, a precompiled non ip based LS would be ideal for such situations.

There comes a time when paranoia of fork projects being made is overshadowed by the benefits to the project to give solutions that are adequate to everyones needs. a Good public LS would be a plus but so would a solution better then minilogin for people who dont want to be on the public ls but need a solution that isnt IP Based
Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
fault
Hill Giant

I cant really donate anything monetary at the moment with working part time and have 1 kid + 1 on the way. but i can donate my knowledge to you kim.

1and1 VPS would work perfectly for said login server and they are cheapest anywhere around. the max one has 1gb dedicated ram and 4 gb bursts. 29.50 for 6 months then 59 afterwords. I have used 1and1 for about 4 years now their vps servers are top notch.

39.49 the day you order (9.99 setup fee)

requires 12 month commitment but I doubt you'd hate them they also accept paypal.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Vps...op&__lf=Static

i even left out my affiliate link
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Demi-God

VPS servers are a big security risk just fyi
Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
VPS servers are a big security risk just fyi

common missconception brought on by those who have no clue how Linux works dedicateds and vps have the same holes if you have no clue how operate them. I run a vps3 and have for 2 years not one security issue. a vps is just a mini dedicated server for a cheaper price. noone has access to any of your resources and files except you and 1and1 techsupport officials.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault View Post
common missconception brought on by those who have no clue how Linux works dedicateds and vps have the same holes if you have no clue how operate them. I run a vps3 and have for 2 years not one security issue. a vps is just a mini dedicated server for a cheaper price. noone has access to any of your resources and files except you and 1and1 techsupport officials.
Even if that is your belief there is still CPU restrictions since you are using 'part' of the system. It is shared memory throughout the system and you can't even try to compare a seperate dedicated server to a VPS.

PS. just because someone hasn't gone after you doesn't mean it can't happen. It means no one cares about your VPS.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Even if that is your belief there is still CPU restrictions since you are using 'part' of the system. It is shared memory throughout the system and you can't even try to compare a seperate dedicated server to a VPS.

PS. just because someone hasn't gone after you doesn't mean it can't happen. It means no one cares about your VPS.

not true the memory in the full system may be shared, but you get your Guaranteed amount. you are Guaranteed 1gig always and have bursts of up to 4

and cpu restrictions? 1and1 imposes none everyone gets fair share. I have also never seen more then 2 clients on a single 1and1 VPS I am sure the dual core AMD cpus can handle what you throw at it. for heavens sake Ive had antrix, eAthena, and EQemu all running on it at the same time No speed issues no lag nothing.

Sure i can compare it, using both types i can say for the price vps' outweigh dedicateds at every step.

and again please donot get caught up in the vps is a security risk mythology, vps only have the same risks as any type of service it is up to you the user to secure it.

if this sounds rude, it isnt dont take it as such if you do I apologize. but from experience VPS > dedicated for the cost with no real speed or security decrease. you can pay 60 a month for a vps or 200+ for a dedicated with the same setup with no real difference except how it is hosted
Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault View Post
not true the memory in the full system may be shared, but you get your Guaranteed amount. you are Guaranteed 1gig always and have bursts of up to 4

and cpu restrictions? 1and1 imposes none everyone gets fair share. I have also never seen more then 2 clients on a single 1and1 VPS I am sure the dual core AMD cpus can handle what you throw at it. for heavens sake Ive had antrix, eAthena, and EQemu all running on it at the same time No speed issues no lag nothing.

Sure i can compare it, using both types i can say for the price vps' outweigh dedicateds at every step.

and again please donot get caught up in the vps is a security risk mythology, vps only have the same risks as any type of service it is up to you the user to secure it.

if this sounds rude, it isnt dont take it as such if you do I apologize. but from experience VPS > dedicated for the cost with no real speed or security decrease. you can pay 60 a month for a vps or 200+ for a dedicated with the same setup with no real difference except how it is hosted
The vps you had on there was serving a 100K+ user forums, a loginserver, a LARGE wiki? That's going to be a lot of active connections, and cpu usage. Reguardless of what you say VPS systems are never a fully secure option. anything that gets shared can be cracked. Just matters how badly you want to.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
fault
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by devn00b View Post
The vps you had on there was serving a 100K+ user forums, a loginserver, a LARGE wiki? That's going to be a lot of active connections, and cpu usage. Reguardless of what you say VPS systems are never a fully secure option. anything that gets shared can be cracked. Just matters how badly you want to.
yes it did. I said I ran three emulators on it at the same time, the ragnarok server had 700 constant connects on the server with over 100 thousand registered users in the forums which ran vbulletin. the wow server had another 100 online with about 500 registered users on the forums.

I never saw cpu usage over 60% nor memory usage over my dedicated 1gig.

and if you secure your operating system install there is no risk, trust me I know I have PAID people who were known to be able to get into anything to test what I was using they couldn't. there was this guy who rampaged ragnarok online servers getting into the dedis and vps' destroying everything he took a crack at mine and couldnt, after two days the most he was able to do was register 500 thousand accounts simultaniously on a phpBB install I had.

I wouldnt open my mouth if I didnt first experience this such as these myself.

lets leave this topic to what its intentions were, I figured i'd throw kim a suggestion, it is kims choice to go with whatever kim feels is appropriate, i do not wish to argue.