Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
lucid.reverie
Fire Beetle

Default Login Server issues?

Hi all,

I surfed around and didn't see anything about this, so I figured I'd ask. The last two days (that's 8/11 and 8/12) when attempting to log on to Grand Creation I get the standard hesitation after clicking the 'Play Everquest' button, but then it kicks me back to the login screen. At that point I have to exit EQ entirely to get it going again, and the same thing happens. I tried two different accounts and also tried getting on other servers but the same thing happened. I haven't had any recent changes to hardware or software configuration in my box but haven't tried a second machine yet. I thought I'd ask if this is a known issue before I started digging too much.

Thanks,
B.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Cripp
Discordant

how many attempts did you try on a server?
maybe just keep trying on same server/account and should work eventually..maybe..

www.nugblazers.com
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM
trevius
Developer

Are you running a fresh unmodified install of Titanium? If you have downloaded any custom files for certain servers, it could possibly cause this issue.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
lucid.reverie
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the responses.

I'd guess I tried a dozen times. I've played enough on Emu to get that 'feeling' that I'm not going to get logged in. Again, it hesitates briefly (when it normally goes to Desktop for a few seconds and then the loadscreen.jpg comes up) but then kicks me right back to login.

Tried two accounts and different servers. No changes to custom files.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
zutfen
Fire Beetle

This has been happening to me more often than not lately. And from what I've seen from OOC comments on The Grand Creation, it's a pretty common issue.

The login server is simply not functioning right for some people; whether that's connection based (same network ranges, ISPs, what-have-you) or it's an issue with the login server, is obviously, left to be discovered.

Any given night I may need to try to log in for 20+ minutes before actually connection properly. Either I get a timeout, a blank server list, or just can't connect to the server of my choice.

I am running an unmodified, legally purchased Titanium client, have 6Mbit cable connection and have been playing on EQEmu servers for literally years. This issue has only recently (last few months) been an issue.

Maybe we need to start compiling some information regarding ISPs, first 2 octets of IP addresses, etc to make sure this isn't a connectivity issue for those that are affected.

Otherwise, can we get official word on the status of the Login Server, based on logs perhaps? Is the CPU getting pegged doing some outside task, or processing too many login attempts at once possibly? It seems like EQEmu is only getting more popular, is the LS not up to par with the demand being placed upon it? (This is all speculation, obviously, but you get my point.)

I'd love to get to the bottom of this, and I'm willing to work with others of like mindset to do so! Let's put our heads together and find out what's going on!

Last edited by zutfen; 08-15-2008 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Removed the Department of Redundancy Dept. was removed. =P
Old 08-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Flare83
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutfen View Post
This has been happening to me more often than not lately. And from what I've seen from OOC comments on The Grand Creation, it's a pretty common issue.

The login server is simply not functioning right for some people; whether that's connection based (same network ranges, ISPs, what-have-you) or it's an issue with the login server, is obviously, left to be discovered.

Any given night I may need to try to log in for 20+ minutes before actually connection properly. Either I get a timeout, a blank server list, or just can't connect to the server of my choice.

I am running an unmodified, legally purchased Titanium client, have 6Mbit cable connection and have been playing on EQEmu servers for literally years. This issue has only recently (last few months) been an issue.

Maybe we need to start compiling some information regarding ISPs, first 2 octets of IP addresses, etc to make sure this isn't a connectivity issue for those that are affected.

Otherwise, can we get official word on the status of the Login Server, based on logs perhaps? Is the CPU getting pegged doing some outside task, or processing too many login attempts at once possibly? It seems like EQEmu is only getting more popular, is the LS not up to par with the demand being placed upon it? (This is all speculation, obviously, but you get my point.)

I'd love to get to the bottom of this, and I'm willing to work with others of like mindset to do so! Let's put our heads together and find out what's going on!
Same here Time Warner Cable 76.179.*.*
Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
bigboobies
Banned

yes it happens to me as well......server list comes up blank. If i'm lucky out of 300 tries I might get it to pop up...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

I see this maybe once or twice a month and it happens just one time... All I do to fix it is go back one screen and put my login info in again, I don't even have to close out all the way. I think it's durring times of high use, and probably related to connection speed.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
bigboobies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward6 View Post
I see this maybe once or twice a month and it happens just one time... All I do to fix it is go back one screen and put my login info in again, I don't even have to close out all the way. I think it's durring times of high use, and probably related to connection speed.
um no...once again you fail. I've had to relogin over 300+ times until it worked
Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

I get it too, playing on the realm. Something about funky Op-Codes?

From the server host (in the Bots thread, where we've been talking):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
4) I get a lot of crash to server (25% of zoning), and lots of times (75%?) char screen boots me to log in screen. Makes it quite unstable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server Host
I don't have these problems. I've seen in logs that some people keep sending unknown opcodes continuously in a stream and this causes connection issues for them. My friend and I play frequently and our connections do not send this opcode stream I'm seeing with some people.
[08.10. - 09:09:19] Unable to convert EQ opcode 0x6a5f to an Application opcode.
[08.10. - 09:09:19] [CLIENT__NET_ERR] Ikeren: Unhandled incoming opcode: [OpCode OP_Unknown (0x6a5f) Size=8]
[08.10. - 09:09:19] Unable to convert EQ opcode 0x6a5f to an Application opcode.
[08.10. - 09:09:19] [CLIENT__NET_ERR] Ikeren: Unhandled incoming opcode: [OpCode OP_Unknown (0x6a5f) Size=8]
[08.10. - 09:09:20] Unable to convert EQ opcode 0x6a5f to an Application opcode.
[08.10. - 09:09:20] [CLIENT__NET_ERR] Ikeren: Unhandled incoming opcode: [OpCode OP_Unknown (0x6a5f) Size=8]
[08.10. - 09:09:20] Unable to convert EQ opcode 0x6a5f to an Application opcode.
[08.10. - 09:09:20] [CLIENT__NET_ERR] Ikeren: Unhandled incoming opcode: [OpCode OP_Unknown (0x6a5f) Size=8]
Here's the other funny thing; my brother, in the next room over, is playing with significantly fewer problems. On the same server. And, we're both running clean installations of Titanium (we both played online at one point, and I was feeling nostalgic for some old dungeons) from CD's bought from the same store.

The only difference is that I also tried to set up a server on my machine, followed the guide as best I could and found I messed it up somehow anyways. Another bug I get is that all my corpses stay standing.

Discussion here, as well: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25603
Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboobies View Post
um no...once again you fail. I've had to relogin over 300+ times until it worked
I fail? I'm just offering my experience with the issue. This is what I have seen, just because it's not what you see it must be wrong?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

If I was having these problems, the first thing i would do is make sure I have a tweaked connection and everything is working right.
I while ago, I posted a lot of the sites that have free tools and advice on how to accomplish this.
Even if you think your PC is OK, you should double check. Here is my post
Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
zutfen
Fire Beetle

I'm assuming that the router eqemulator.net is behind has ICMP responses squelched. I was attempting to ping it, and no dice.

Anyhow, I am going to go out on a limb and say that it's not my connection, since if I log in when it's A.M. I get on without issue. It's only evenings that give me any problem, generally speaking. (However, tonight it's fine. So far anyhow.)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutfen View Post
Anyhow, I am going to go out on a limb and say that it's not my connection, since if I log in when it's A.M. I get on without issue. It's only evenings that give me any problem, generally speaking. (However, tonight it's fine. So far anyhow.)
2 things about that. First, is the fact that cable internet is slower when more people are on (afternoon and evening) and second is the fact that the login server would also probably have a higher load at those times as well. So there could be a connection issue, or a number of users issue... just thinking out loud
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
I get it too, playing on the realm. Something about funky Op-Codes?

From the server host (in the Bots thread, where we've been talking):

Quote:
I don't have these problems. I've seen in logs that some people keep sending unknown opcodes continuously in a stream and this causes connection issues for them. My friend and I play frequently and our connections do not send this opcode stream I'm seeing with some people.
I doubt that the opcode mentioned is causing the problem. On my server, I have done some opcode investigations and this is what I found for that particular opcode:

0x6a5f - Comes in after not moving the mouse for exactly 15 minutes. And comes in again as soon as the mouse is moved again.

So, it appears that it is supposed to be some kind of auto AFK feature or something. I can't really think of any other use for it. Unless maybe Live uses it to tell the server to put that player into some type of Idle mode to reduce server load and maybe even bandwidth. Maybe it stops sending them updates when they are in that mode, which could potentially reduce a TON of bandwidth utilization. Might not be a bad idea to use it for that in the emulator if possible.

If some players are sending that same opcode alot, then my only guess is that they are using the wrong version of EQ, and it is trying to send something else using that same opcode.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue once the players actually get connected to the server. It is more of an issue with the login server itself, or some problem client side. It is extremely rare that I ever had issues with the login server, so I have to think that it is either a problem with the client, or maybe something in their path to the login server. It could be ISP related.