Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 AM
kedra
Sarnak

Default COHPVP - Opening the Server for One Night

The server will be unlocked this Friday (Jan 9, 2009) evening at 5PM central standard time for one night of testing.

The server will be unlocked from 5PM CST to approximately 2AM the next morning (about 9 hours).

While we are very close to moving into open beta testing, this does not mean the server is being permanently unlocked on the 9th. This is ONE NIGHT where we will be testing and asking for player feedback about things such as leveling rates (solo and group), mob strength, quest difficulties, spell resistances, and more.

Depending on how successful this night is, we should be able to provide an ETA for officially going into our open beta testing phase, and, if things go accordingly, that should not be much longer.

The two admin who have been working on this project (Myralfin and myself) will both be online all night to help players and answer questions.

Players will be able to log on and play freely, but we may occasionally ask some players to come work with us on the side as it becomes necessary to address specific issues.

9 hour should be enough time to get level 50, finish a few high-end quests, pwn a nub or two, and make some friends (and enemies).

We'd like to invite everyone to join us. I think this will be a lot of fun and I'd love to see a good turn out.

For more information, please visit our website / forums at http://cohpvp.net

Hope to see you there!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Richardo
Banned

Not being rude at all, very curious on the dynamics of your server.

What happens if I level to 50, get killed and lose everything. The player that killed me refuses to help me and doesn't give my levels back. By this time, I would be completely unmotivated to raid, level back up or continue playing. What keeps players interested?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 AM
kedra
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardo
What keeps players interested?
Revenge.

(I'm only partially kidding.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardo
What happens if I level to 50, get killed and lose everything. The player that killed me refuses to help me and doesn't give my levels back. By this time, I would be completely unmotivated to raid, level back up or continue playing.
Leveling up to 50 might take a few hours if you're new, but after you've done it a time or two and learn some good killing spots or techniques, it becomes faster and can be done in about an hour.

We're also hoping the PVE loot system will keep things exciting for players that have to re-level up.

The loot tables that we've built are quite large and players can expect to see many new items each time they level up. It helps to add a little variety to something that might otherwise be painfully boring to do over and over. We've completely separated 'normal' and 'special' armor and weapons (special implies either a clicked, worn, or procced effect). Various named NPCs (ranging from low level to high) drop the 'special' equipment, so depending on what you happen to find on a named, you might develop a pretty unique advantage in PvP this time around.

Loot can be a lot of fun. Sometimes I find myself running through Rivervale whacking halflings for no other reason than just to see what they're toting...

We're also hoping that players will make use of the mercy system where a killer can give his victim back some or all of his levels if he chooses. After all, most of the PVP isn't necessarily mean-spirited, but it is competitive. A killer might want to kill his rival and then reset him back 5 or 10 levels, just to show he can do it. If a person develops a reputation for never showing mercy, sure he'll piss a lot of people off and potentially cause some players to quit, but other players may become more motivated to get revenge.

Testing last Friday went very well. But honestly, we're not really sure how this thing is going to work out in the long-term. It may fail tremendously, but we hope it doesn't. It's very experimental for us, but we have high hopes that we can make it engaging and fun to play. We'll find out soon I guess.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 AM
kedra
Sarnak

Also worth noting, everything on this server is fast. You level fast and may die fast. Losing all of your levels and gear isn't a huge deal considering how quickly everything can be reacquired. Players just have to realize that losing everything isn't as big a deal as it might sound. It's frustrating, sure, but it's easily recoverable.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Estrang
Sarnak

Hopefully word of mouth spreads, I am very interested in checking out the server again next unlock.
This is definitely a pvp server that stands out from most 3x xp/ 1 item/classic pvp servers, something new and fresh in pvp is what emu needs, thanks Kedra.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM
kedra
Sarnak

I want to do a few more tests tonight. The server will be unlocked for a few hours, but not past 11:30PM CST. Feel free to log on if you'd like to try it out.