Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
NickW
Sarnak

Default Titanium vs. RoF?

I am new here and found the play guide.

http://108.61.129.166/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PlayGuide

If I use Titanium to install EQEmu do I only get the first 10 expansions worth of content?

If I use RoF do I get 19 expansions worth of content?

Or does it not matter which I use?

Edit: It also says in that guide that I should use SoD or later if I have a dual core. I have a Q6600 Quad core.. Is this a problem?

Edit 2: In step three of that guide it says I need to create a EQEmu login account. Do I still need to do this if I just want to host/play the game singleplayer?

Edit 3: I just found this guide on what looks to be the EQEmu wiki? Or a new version of the wiki?

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...Guide&frm=Main

Should I be using this guide instead?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Uleat
Developer

Regardless of client, if you play on a peqdb-based server, you will only receive playable content up to Gates of Discord.

Custom servers may provide more..or some even restrict their expansion content. You should check a given server's website to see if there's a restriction
on the clients that they allow to connect to their server. Otherwise, any of the supported client should suffice.

The biggest discernment between clients, at the moment, is features.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
NickW
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Regardless of client, if you play on a peqdb-based server, you will only receive playable content up to Gates of Discord.

Custom servers may provide more..or some even restrict their expansion content. You should check a given server's website to see if there's a restriction
on the clients that they allow to connect to their server. Otherwise, any of the supported client should suffice.

The biggest discernment between clients, at the moment, is features.
Thanx for the response. Do you happen to know the answer to any of my other questions? Like which guide to use?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM
moofta
Sarnak

1. Currently the most stable and perhaps most widely available client is the Underfoot one (*coughs*). I would suggest using this if you can, it works better in every way than Titanium, and RoF is still not 100% supported.

2. If you want to run your own server on your PC and log into that rather than play on a public EQEmu server, you do not need an EQEmu login account. I would suggest getting one though, and trying a public server first anyway.

3. This is the new wiki and therefore most up to date for setting up your own server on Windows:-
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...Guide&frm=Main

4. I really would suggest playing on a currently set up server first, partly to know what to expect, and secondly because most servers could do with more players Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

The best supported clients are Titanium then probably Underfoot. Many people prefer UF due to the fact that it uses the newer HP formula and has more features (xtarget, etc) (note: if you find a 'HoT' client its actually just UF with the extra zone files from HoT)

The rest of the clients work well enough to be playable, but not as well as tit or if.

If you're setting up a single player only server and your own login server you don't need to make an account, although unless you do some port forwarding, no friends will be able to play with you (well you need to don't that anyways ...)

You should also try to use the new wiki since the old one has been in read only mode for a while and info can be out of date (although, the new wiki might not have been updated yet either .... Documenting is hard :PW well busy work)
Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 AM
NickW
Sarnak

Thanx again for the info. Helps a lot. Kinda confused as to what this step means.

c) Download Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop

Download Visual Studio Express 2013 For Windows Desktop (note: there is a "Visual Studio Express 2013 For Windows Desktop" do not use it as it won't work) and put it in the C:\EQ\Installs directory. Download the installer by clicking on 'Install Now'. Note this one is only a simple web installer package. It will download more when you run it.
You can also use full versions of Visual Studio (Professional, Premium, Ultimate), and Visual Studio 2012 Express also.

First it says to download Visual Studio Express 2013 For Windows Desktop. Then it immediately says "note: there is a "Visual Studio Express 2013 For Windows Desktop" do not use it as it won't work"...

So what gives? Typo?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 AM
moofta
Sarnak

fixed the typo. You should use "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop". If you have the 2012 or even the 2010 version, they should work too.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 PM
NickW
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofta View Post
fixed the typo. You should use "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop". If you have the 2012 or even the 2010 version, they should work too.
Gotcha. I tried downloading and installing that one. But, it apparently only works with windows 7 & 8. The only version for 2012 I see is "Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone". There are seven different options for 2010. I have no idea what any of them mean. Any idea which of these I should use for Windows Vista?

Thanx.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

I know VS 2010 (the lowest supported VS version for us) is the last one that works for XP, not sure for Vista, 2012 might work? Either way, you will want the desktop version not the phone .. I assume ..
Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM
NickW
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
I know VS 2010 (the lowest supported VS version for us) is the last one that works for XP, not sure for Vista, 2012 might work? Either way, you will want the desktop version not the phone .. I assume ..
I've been looking. I can't seem to find a desktop version for either one. Just 2013.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:47 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Didn't look very hard then.
First search result:

Hmm this shows 2013..

but the search result said 2010.. Maybe I should read the page.. oh look right there at the bottom....

How about that.. Fucking put a little effort into it.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 PM
NickW
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
Didn't look very hard then.
First search result:

Hmm this shows 2013..

but the search result said 2010.. Maybe I should read the page.. oh look right there at the bottom....

How about that.. Fucking put a little effort into it.
Not sure why you are so hostile.. And I already mentioned those seven options previously. In other words, I already flat out stated I had seen those seven. None of them are listed as the desktop version. Which is what was recommended. And what we were talking about. Feel free not to offer any more help. I could happily do without your advice. Seeing as you have a short temper and can't read the entire topic before posting..
Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Demi-God

Express is the only free version of Visual Studio and it is specifically designed for the desktop. Unless you have experience in C++ development you would be better off using pre-compiled binaries instead of trying to compile the source with its dependencies.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:06 PM
NickW
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Express is the only free version of Visual Studio and it is specifically designed for the desktop. Unless you have experience in C++ development you would be better off using pre-compiled binaries instead of trying to compile the source with its dependencies.
The guide for setting up a server and moofta had said to use the, "Visual Studio Express 2013 For Windows Desktop" version. Because the, "Visual Studio Express 2013 For Windows" version wouldn't work. I have been looking for the 2012/2010 equivalent of that. If the regular Windows version of 2013 doesn't work. I would assume 2012/2010 might have the same problem? Unless I am missing something?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

You want the C++ version. The new names don't apply to old products.