Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 05-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Default OpenZone 5.6

1. Reskinned all of the icons on the main window, and added two menu options: View...Toolbar icon size... and View...Menu icon size... These let you separately set the icon sizes for the toolbar or main menu to 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, or 64x64. Settings will be remembered for the next session.

2. Added File...Export...Export zone objects to .S3D. This will export any objects that have been placed into a zone (or more importantly, added under File...Properties) to their own .S3D file. This is useful for creating custom .S3D files that contain equipment models, such as weapons. When this option is selected, OpenZone will ask for the name of the new S3D/WLD file. This option is also described in the online help.

3. Enhanced the Edit...Change polygon properties dialog:

3.1. Added a checkbox that lets you set whether an object uses a masked texture, such as for tree leaves.

3.2. If you click Ok without having added a texture to the texture list, OpenZone will ask for confirmation.

3.3. Added a checkbox at the bottom that will cause OpenZone to change ALL polygons with matching textures instead of just the one that was selected. Due to the destructive nature of this option, it will ALWAYS be unchecked upon opening the dialog and a warning will display whenever it is checked.

3.4. Added a toolbar icon on the main menu to make accessing this dialog easier (second to the last icon, next to the help icon).

4. Fixed a bug where OpenZone would be unable to find its online help file after a scene has been loaded.

5. Expanded the .SCN file format to allow them to automatically import 3D Studio Max .3DS files. It now supports a new keyword, 3DSFILENAME, which may be placed within a MESH construct. The format is 3DSFILENAME <filename>, where <filename> should be a fully-qualified path and file name. The importer is smart enough to cache files that are loaded more than once to save time, and there is an example of its use in the \scenes subfolder called meshimport.scn.

It's available here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=329541

Enjoy,

WC
Old 05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
haloboycs
Sarnak

I was thinking of giving it a try after reading of Liam making a zone for WR. Downloaded it and trying out, trying following "basic zone" tutorial.. it appears to be alot problem with 5.6..

-after you have zone created, minimize the program (switch to internet for tutorial, and back) and maximine the program.. it just stay stuck with "intializing..." screen. <--- big problem
-sometime program doesnt launch up, it just stay on splash screen forever, need to ctrl + alt + del
-sometime program launch up, but nothing show up.. theres a program in tray tho, ctrl + alt + del as well

oh btw, im using Win XP (SP1)

*duck*

Last edited by haloboycs; 05-25-2005 at 12:35 AM..
Old 05-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I'm looking into it. There definitely are issues if you move, resize, minimize, or otherwise do anything to it while the OpenGL windows are still initializing. Once they've finished, you should have no problems. If I find a fix I'll see about putting out another release.

Okay, I believe I'ved fixed it. The program has much tighter control over its startup process, and it will prevent you from moving, resizing, or minimizing the window while the OpenGL panels are still initializing. SourceForge is down for maintenance, so I'll try to replace OZ 5.6 with this version tomorrow.

Last edited by Windcatcher; 05-25-2005 at 03:04 AM..
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Belfedia
Demi-God

I have little problem with OZ 5.6 and Global_Obj.S3D
I try to explain with my bad english :
With table doors in DB i custom some zone like that :
http://eqfroggy.ath.cx/Screens/froggy015.jpg

If i try to load a Openzone project for add some object in
global_obj.S3D

All my wall or object in this scene climb on Z axis for 2 meter !!
I have no problem with 5.5, did you change hot spot of object ?

"I would like to benefit from this post to thank you much Windcatcher for the splendid work which you make on the whole of the tools that you put has provision of the server's creators."

Bel.
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Homogenn
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloboycs
I was thinking of giving it a try after reading of Liam making a zone for WR.
Thanks a lot, jerk.

Anyway, is it just me or when I put mesh objects into a zone they seem to hover above ground level when viewing the zone ingame, even though they don't in the editor. It doesn't matter if gravity is on or not.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Apparently I introduced a problem in trying to get equipment items working. I'll be looking into it tonight and I'll try and fix it ASAP.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Okay, problem solved. Maybe this will also fix the issues with creating custom weapons. Everyone who has OpenZone 5.6 should re-download it. I also fixed a couple of minor problems in the tigerskin and leopardskin teepee objects (the very top of them was still in blue cloth).
Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM
sirreality
Fire Beetle

I have downloaded this from 5 or 6 different mirrors on sourceforge and OpenZone.exe fails CRC and is corrupt in every one of them. I tried unzipping it with winrar and winzip on two different systems, same problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Okay I just killed it and uploaded it again. The Atlanta mirror seems to have a good one. Let me know if you have any problems.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

All work fine and my walls stop to flying hehe
Thanks again
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:57 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Default masked trees

So I'm working out the tranparency flags for trees.

Here's the settings I am using

http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...mu/oz_shot.jpg

And the actual bitmap is

http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv/orion2/eqemu/f.bmp

I think I've tried about everything within the program.
Also used the Convert to Transparent Bitmap. That created the alpha mask which is correct, but when choosing transparent, the entire object is invisible.

George

Last edited by GeorgeS; 05-27-2005 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: url
Old 05-27-2005, 01:11 AM
KhaN
Dragon

KhaN Tips :
- Use a normal BMP (without transparency), compile the zone, et OZ do its job.
- Open your favorite DDS Image editor, save your zones BMP as DDS with all the functions DDS support (alpha mask, mipmap, ...) with the SAME name as your BMp zone texture.
- Open S3DSpy and replace all the textures.

When creating zones (for my testing), i never do this step, this is rather, the last step for me in zone creation process, but it allow to have DDS for yours zones, which is, lets say it WAY BETTER than crappy BMP (Yes sorry, WC, you know how much i hate BMP :p ).

Old 05-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

You're close, GeorgeS. You want "masked" and "opaque" selected after using the convert to transparent bitmap option. Let me see if I can explain it all a bit better:

"Convert to Transparent Bitmap" takes a 24-bit .BMP file (one that doesn't have any alpha channel) and creates a 32-bit .BMP file where the alpha is 0 for the transparent parts and 255 for the parts you want to see. It determines what should be transparent by looking at the colors in all four corners of the bitmap and choosing the most prevalent one as the transparency color. If you already have a 32-bit .BMP file that has correct transparency information in its alpha channel, this step isn't necessary.

For the "Edit Polygon Properties" dialog:

The "masked" option tells the client that this polygon has parts that are opaque and parts that are totally transparent (e.g. tree leaves). You would want this checked for such textures.

The "solid" option tells the client not to perform collision avoidance for this polygon. You would want this checked for textures like tree leaves, so the player can pass through them.

The "opaque", "semitransparent", and "transparent" options affect the *entire* texture. In the case of tree leaves (and 99.9999999% of any textures you use), you would want opaque checked. Checking semitransparent makes the entire texture appear at 50% transparency (regardless of the actual alpha values in the texture), and checking transparent makes it invisible (regardless of the actual alpha values in the texture). I never said that .WLD made sense (grin). The benefit here is that you can have a texture that's opaque in some parts of your zone and semitransparent in other parts, while only needing one texture to do the job. You can think of the semitransparent option as having the effect of multiplying all alpha values by 0.5. I think the original reason for these settings is that earlier versions of the client only supported 8-bit indexed-color .BMP textures that didn't have any alpha information (as opposed to the .DDS-format textures it now supports). These settings were what made tree leaves and semitransparent/transparent polygons possible back in the day. Nowadays you could just use 32-bit RGBA textures instead of having to deal with those three settings, though they're nice when you're experimenting with semitransparency and don't want to have to make a whole new texture.

One thing the client does with the masked setting, as another example, is when you use an indexed-color texture. If masked is set, it chooses the first color in the color palette as the transparent color. A good example of this is the texture for the old-world ships that has the ropes that bind the sails. 95% of the texture is composed of color 0, which comes up as transparent when rendered.

Last edited by Windcatcher; 05-27-2005 at 10:38 PM..
Old 05-28-2005, 03:46 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Default transparency

Ok had to edit the message. I managed to sort of figure this out

Textures look ok for the most part except for a color fringe around the leaves

check this out -

http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...mu/texture.jpg

edit - fixed this with a color replace tool that changed mask color to green

Now I notice the fringe at the top of the texture - I cannot figure out what's causing it. Just trying many different things...
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...ure_fringe.jpg

edit - ok fixed the fringe.
After about 10 hours...
Now my trees work!
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...qemu/trees.jpg

George

Last edited by GeorgeS; 05-29-2005 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: more to add
Old 05-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

You are learning, young Jedi...

Care to post what you had to figure out for the benefit of anyone else trying to learn OpenZone? I remember running into problems like that for my tree textures, but I don't remember what I had to do to fix it.