Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
oldlurker
Fire Beetle

Windcatcher: Do you know of the Worldforge project? Especially the Ember client looks very promising and has quite a good choice of models, maybe there is a efficient way to convert these to your client.

http://wiki.worldforge.org/wiki/Ember

There are videos that show the model and terrain editor in action.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Runeblade
Sarnak

Default One more question :)

Alright i've been waiting to really get started on customizing a zone until I made sure I could do everything I visioned and was wondering is it possible to add npcs with custom models or change npcs models to a custom model?

3 Main questions

1. Custom armor- What is the extent of custom armor? Can I make my own chestplate skin or maybe even model where as I equip the chestplate item and it shows up on my char as my customized skin/model?
*Helmet models seem the closest to been customized and find it strange that any helmet that shows, being leather,chain,plate etc is all under the model IT63. Seems odd that a plate mail helmet would be using the same model as a leather head piece. Cloth helmets though don't show up and have a model number of 0. I guess not showing gives it that number.*

2. Model Swap- How do I swap eq models with my custom made ones? I have a real trippy idea that I could whip up in a day or two with a custom model, a couple of npcs,an added waypoint grid, and custom quest.

3. Zone size- Why are eq zones the size they are? Why arent like north and south qeynos hooked together or all the karana's? Is it so you dont have a mob chasing you over 3 zone lengths to get to safety for the karana's since dieing there was a pain back in kunark and qeynos having to many npcs to handle in 1 zone for the old hardware of the time?

Zone size- If its just something simple I would like to increase zone parimeters by x3 but only if my second question *Model Swap* is do-able.

If I can get info on how to do one or both of those, I'll start overhauling new zones like crazy with buildings, scenery, etc. I've been staying up 2days sleeping just afew hours sometimes so I can get this moving before school starts >.<

Extra - I've played with Anim8or for an hour and it is alittle different then my old Gmax program for rigging and animating and is frustrating atm but i'll learn .

Last edited by Runeblade; 08-08-2007 at 07:22 PM..
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I think if you make super-massive zones, it might kill the performance of most PC-based servers running the emulator. Not to mention what it might do to memory. I am pretty sure that's the sole purpose for everything being chunked in the first place (ala SOE). Though there was probably also some "immersion" reasons behind zones, too.