Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
jshows1
Sarnak

Default Local Server Issues

Hey guys. I just started messing around with a home based server. I followed the guide here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980 and got the server up and running. There don't seem to be any issues on that end as I'm seeing two cmd windows up and running with no apparent errors.

I made sure to go into my router (after having found my local ip) and forwarded the appropriate ports (5998, 5999, 7000-7001, and 9000).

I then made sure to do a fresh Titanium install without patching.

Next I went into my eqhost.txt file and changed it to:
[LoginServer]
Host=localhost:5999

Finally, on the exe shortcut created by the Titanium install, I right clicked on the file and changed the end of the path to eqgame.exe" patchme.

Now when I start the exe file, I get to the login screen, put in my username and password (not sure if this even matters what it is on a local server?).

The game then attempts to log me in, but after about 10 seconds (since it's not longer then 10 seconds, I assume it's not a patch issue) it says "a connection to the server could not be reached..."

I know other people have had this issue, but after searching the forums, I've not had much luck. I would appreciate it if someone can steer me into the right areas to look for what is causing my login issues.

EDIT: I thought it might help if I post my eqemu_config.xml file contents:
<?xml version="1.0">
<server>
<world>
<!-- Set the shortname to ONE word. The longname is what shows up on server list -->
<shortname>Jermanfu</shortname>
<longname>Jermanfu's Server</longname>

<!-- DO NOT EDIT ANY LINES BETWEEN HERE AND THE DATABASE SECTION -->
<!-- <address>do.not.edit</address> -->
<!-- <localaddress>do.not.edit</localaddress> -->

<!-- Loginserver information. DO NOT EDIT -->
<loginserver>
<host>eqemulator.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

<!-- Server status. Default is unlocked DO NOT EDIT RIGHT NOW -->
<!--<locked/>-->
<!-- <unlocked/> -->

<!-- Sets the ip/port for the tcp connections. DO NOT EDIT -->
<tcp ip="localhost" port="9000" telnet="disable"/>

<!-- Sets the shared key used by zone/launcher to connect to world -->
<key>somelongrandomstring12345</key>

<!-- Enable and set the port for the HTTP service. Defaults are shown -->
<http port="9080" enabled="false" mimefile="mime.types" />
</world>

<!-- Chatserver (channels) information. DO NOT EDIT -->
<chatserver>
<host>channels.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>7778</port>
</chatserver>

<!-- Mailserver (in-game mail) information. DO NOT EDIT -->
<mailserver>
<host>channels.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>7779</port>
</mailserver>

<zones>
<!-- The defaultstatus is what status the new toons will have on your server -->
<defaultstatus>0</defaultstatus>

<!-- Sets port range for world to use to auto configure zones DO NOT EDIT RIGHT NOW-->
<ports low="7000" high="7100"/>
</zones>

<!-- Set username to root and password is your MySQL password and db to peq -->
<database>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<username>root</username>
<password>6harrier8z</password>
<db>peq</db>
</database>

<!-- Launcher Configuration DO NOT EDIT-->
<launcher>
<!-- <logprefix>logs/zone-</logprefix> -->
<!-- <logsuffix>.log</logsuffix> -->
<!-- <exe>zone.exe</exe> -->
<!-- <timers restart="10000" reterminate="10000"> -->
</launcher>

<!-- File locations. DO NOT EDIT -->
<files>
<!-- <spells>spells_us.txt</spells> -->
<!-- <opcodes>opcodes.conf</opcodes> -->
<!-- <logsettings>log.ini</logsettings> -->
<!-- <eqtime>eqtime.cfg</eqtime> -->
</files>
<!-- Directory locations. DO NOT EDIT -->
<directories>
<!-- <maps>Maps</maps> -->
<!-- <quests>quests</quests> -->
<!-- <plugins>plugins</plugins> -->
</directories>
</server>
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Uleat
Developer

The first thing is that your eqhost should be set to 5998 for a titanium client. I noticed that you are using port forwarding. Is this a public or private setup? Your configuration is dependent upon what setup ou want to use.

Is it:

A private network-based setup with a local login server?

A private network-based setup with a remote login server (i.e., www.eqemulator.net)?

A single computer connected to an ISP IP address?

etc...?

If you're using a local login server scheme (and not the minilogin), check out my post on solo computer setup here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35222

(I don't know how to make it focus on my post, but it's down near the bottom on the first page.)

Then, if you're on a private network, make the changes for a lan setup (changing 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.xxx.xxx where appropriate..but not the database.) This same setup will work if your hosting a public server as well, as long as your use the port forwarding. If it's a private server, clear out the port forwarding or you could get unwanted outside traffic.

(It could be a typo, but make sure your port forwarding 'range' is 7000 to 7100 and not just 7000 to 7001.)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
jshows1
Sarnak

I appreciate the response, Uleat. To answer your question, I'm using a single computer to login to a server on the same pc.

I don't really care to have it setup as an online server, I just happened to come across Huppy's post here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

It was very thorough and seemed to work when I setup the server portion.

Back to your info, I'm looking at the post you gave in your link. Since I want to run a solo server from the same machine, should I follow that information you posted in the other post?

Also, I'm using rev2133. Should I not be using that one? If not, should I source in the db that you mentioned in the other post?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Uleat
Developer

Using rev2133 should be fine. I'm on 2135 myself. Yes, just follow the instructions on that link and it should work. My reference to the 2098 and 1735 was only for the EQEmuLoginServer. Only after changing the two configuration files should you look at replacing your login server files if it still doesn't work. Usually it will let you log in and not show any servers on the server page.

I followed Huppy's myself and had the same problems you're running into. Some of it is outdated and some is a bit quirky. As long as you installed all of the support software it should work when properly configured. Don't forget to clear out the port forwarding settings if you're not hosting a public server.

I should be online for another hour or so..let me know if you're still having problems.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
jshows1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Using rev2133 should be fine. I'm on 2135 myself. Yes, just follow the instructions on that link and it should work. My reference to the 2098 and 1735 was only for the EQEmuLoginServer. Only after changing the two configuration files should you look at replacing your login server files if it still doesn't work. Usually it will let you log in and not show any servers on the server page.

I followed Huppy's myself and had the same problems you're running into. Some of it is outdated and some is a bit quirky. As long as you installed all of the support software it should work when properly configured. Don't forget to clear out the port forwarding settings if you're not hosting a public server.

I should be online for another hour or so..let me know if you're still having problems.
Ok I appreciate it. I copied in the 5 files you mentioned into my Eqemu folder:
EQEmuLoginServer.exe
EQEmuAuthCrypto.dll
login.ini
login_opcodes.conf
login_opcodes_sod.conf

I then made the changes you mentioned below that (in the eqemu_config.xml, etc). Next I changed my eqhost.txt to 5998 like you mentioned.

When I got to the bottom part of your other post where you mention "tblserveradminregistration" under the peq section of through Navicat, I don't see that. I'm wondering if I'm missing some files and should start over lol.

Looking back at Huppy's post, I don't see that mentioned. Perhaps that's why I missed something. I'm pretty pc savy, however I do admit that I'm a little ignorant with databases, etc. I tried to take everything step by step, but I'm wondering if I missed something because he took for granted that it was so simple he didn't mention.

Anyway, do you think I should start over? if so, what guide should I follow for a single player server?

EDIT: I'm going to head to bed. I'll butt heads with this again tomorrow. If you can give me any words of wisdom,Uleat, I'll certainly heed them! I'll try again tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

This guide explains how to set up the login server database entries. It's in step 3 I think, after the regular database setup.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31783
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Uleat
Developer

Yeah, Huppy's guide doesn't mention the tblserveradminregistration table..it presumes that you're using the default administrator when you 'UPDATE' the tblworldserverregistration and use 'Admin', 'Password' and '1' for the admin name, admin password and admin id. Some people have issues with this and it is also another reason that a server will not show up at server select.

If you changed those when you entered that update statement and/or changed the admin/password in config settings, and didn't update the database to reflect those changes you will have a blank server select screen.

If you're still having problems when you start tomorrow, post your program versions and we'll see if there issues there too.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Uleat
Developer

Also, you can sidestep the whole admin/worldserver registration issue by the following settings:

|eqemu_config.xml|

<loginserver>
<host>127.0.0.1</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

|login.ini|

unregistered_allowed = TRUE

This will bypass the registered server verification process and log your world server in as an unregistered 'Standard Server' instead of a 'Preferred Server.' You will receive an EQEMULoginServer [Database_Error], but it will not prevent your EQEmu server from logging into it.

I don't think deleting the account/password matters, but I tried it on mine and had no problem logging on. If this doesn't work, then something else is still wrong.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
jshows1
Sarnak

ok looking at Kavren's thread here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31783

And Huppy's thread here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

I'm trying to piece together the info I need.

When I get down to where I'm trying to setup the database and login info (looking at Kavren's post where he says "Setup PEQLoginDB DB and Logins") I start to get a little confused.

This is what he says:

Quote:
Setup PEQLoginDB DB and Logins
• Open Navicat lite
• double click on local
• right click on local and create a new database
• name it PEQLoginDB
• Now open a command prompt and go to the below folder
• (C:\EQEmuSVNFiles\EQEmu\trunk\EQEmuServer\EQEmuLog inServer\login_util)
• run this command:
• mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD PEQLoginDB < EQEmuLoginServerDBInstall.sql
• Here's an SQL statement to make accounts. Save the below statement as accounts.sql onto your server’s desktop.
• INSERT INTO tblLoginServerAccounts (AccountName, AccountPassword, AccountEmail, LastLoginDate, LastIPAddress) VALUES('Admin', sha('password'), 'admin@somewhere.com', now(), '127.0.0.1');
• Edit the above statement as follows:
• After “VALUES”, edit 'Admin' and 'password' to what you would like the login information to be. Edit 127.0.0.1 to the i.p. address of the client machine you will be logging in from.
• For security purposes, you can delete the Admin account that's entered by default in tlbloginserveraccounts by left-clicking on it so it's yellow, and then pressing CTRL+DEL.
• On to Setting up the world server. Here's the sql statement to make the world server entry. Save the below statement as worldreg.sql onto your servers desktop.
• INSERT INTO `tblworldserverregistration` (`ServerID`, `ServerLongName`, `ServerTagDescription`, `ServerShortName`, `ServerListTypeID`, `ServerLastLoginDate`, `ServerLastIPAddr`, `ServerAdminID`, `Note`) VALUES ('1', 'NameOfServer', 'ServerTagDescription', 'ShortNameOfServer', '2', NULL, NULL, '1', NULL);
• Edit the above statement as follows:
• After VALUES, edit the following:
• NameOfServer is the actual name of the server.
• ShortNameOfServer is the shortname for client files in your game directory (i.e. UI_Soandso_ShortNameOfServer.ini).
• ServerTagDescription is what you will see in parenthesis after the server's name - i.e. NameOfServer(Come and have fun!)
• The number 2 signifies what kind of server it is. 1 = Legends, 2 = Preferred, 3 = Standard.
• In navicat, right click the PEQLoginDB DB and select “Execute SQL File…” and choose accounts.sql from your desktop. Do the same again but choosing worldreg.sql from your desktop.
Now, I'm sure I'm missing something here. Where he says "Here's an SQL statement to make accounts. Save the below statement as accounts.sql onto your server’s desktop." How? How do I make an SQL statement?

on the next line he mentions tblLoginServerAccounts which I don't see anywhere.

Also farther down the list he mentions "INSERT INTO `tblworldserverregistration`"

I also noticed, Uleat, where you mention in your post here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35222 that in your database under PEQ I should have a heading called tblserveradminregistration. Same thing here, and I'm sure you are both talking about the same thing. For some reason, I don't see that under my PEQ database. Is it something I need to add? and if so, how? You mentioned this a few posts back but I didn't quite understand. Do I need the tblserveradminregistration or no?

I apologize for being so dense. I'm really trying to understand these steps but am having difficulty.

I'm thinking maybe this is where my issues are coming into play as there are discrepancies between Huppy's post and Kavren's. I'm sure both posts are excellent sources of information, but I must be overlooking something obvious. Usually that's my problem.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 PM
jshows1
Sarnak

Looking under my PEQ tables in Navicat, I see where I should have the tblworldserverregistration and tblLoginServerAccounts. For some odd reason, they're not there.

Another thing I noticed, when I start up my server with my start.bat file, I get this message in the world.exe window:

[WORLD_LS]Connecting to login server...
[WORLD_LS_ERR] Could not connect to login server: 127.0.0.1:5998 TCPConnection::Connect(): connect() failed. Error: 10061

also, world.exe is listed as an exception in my firewall settings, so I know that's not the problem.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Cilraaz
Sarnak

The world server is trying to connect to it locally (127.0.0.1), so it's not your firewall or router at that point. Do you have minilogin running? It seems to me that the process it's trying to connect to simply isn't there.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
jshows1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
The world server is trying to connect to it locally (127.0.0.1), so it's not your firewall or router at that point. Do you have minilogin running? It seems to me that the process it's trying to connect to simply isn't there.
hmm now this is something else I didn't know about. If the minilogin is something I have to start, then no. Is that the same as eqemuloginserver.exe? I tried starting that.....and when I attempt to log in, it tells me I have the wrong password. Looking at the cmd, I can see it trying to log in.

If that's not it, then I'm not seeing the minilogin.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Unless you add a delay to the batch file it will always fail once then retry and succeed.

Those tables are created when you source EQEmuLoginServerDBInstall.sql as shown in the guide.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 PM
jshows1
Sarnak

ok I downloaded the minilogin and I assume I put it into my Eqemu folder? I found a thread on the minilogin and how to set it up (I like to try to follow written directions before I ask for help if I can!) but the post is from 2004. A lot of the info in it is talking about things that I can't find anywhere in my login file or anything like that.

I'm a little confused about all of this. Neither Huppy's post or Kavren's post mention a minilogin. Is there quite a bit of information that is assumed to be known already by the user? I must be missing something here.

I followed the Eqemu play guide, and setup my files the way it says, then I followed the above guides in an attempt to setup a local server.

But for some reason, it seems like there is some assumed knowledge that I'm missing.

I resetup my server with the info from Uleat which was very helpful in getting me to at least get the server up.

So I start the minilogin, I then start the server and it seems to start up fine now. But when I login to the server from my Titanium eqgame.exe shortcut, it just times out.

What information do you guys need to see in order to know what I'm doing wrong?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Huppy's guide is designed for you to use the public loginserver so your server appears on the list of all the other servers here.

The guide I posted a link to is designed to allow you to use eqemuloginserver locally.

Minilogin is old, you should use eqemuloginserver is you can. The guide I linked is not difficult to follow, it's only a few steps and you're done.