Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

View Poll Results: Which browser is best?
Gecko-engine browsers (Mozillas, Netscapes) 39 70.91%
Internet Explorer 14 25.45%
Opera 0 0%
lynx 1 1.82%
konqueror 1 1.82%
galeon 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Memener
Dragon

What verson of IE is that? 5.5 or 5.0? anything below 6.0 sucks ass.
also when i am stuffing the web i like the see the full addres.

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:46 AM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

i can see the full adress bar, i took that screenshot at low res and with ie in window mode. peniz
Old 12-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Memener
Dragon

You know whats funny about that??? You have to set all the up and remove item Firefox come that way. and even have a google bar. what you got looks kinda gay . its all crowded...

and we really need to see the shows you illegaly downloaded .

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Stealth_raptor
Hill Giant

Here we go...some links. This should better explain why Firefox is better than IE.

13 Reasons to use Firefox Over IE
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/article...show&amp;id=32

Better browser now the best
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6131279/

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...d.php?t=169641
Quote:
Best things

1... updates all your open websites at once
2... loads up all your chosen websites on start-up
3... massive decrease in spyware etc

was extremely easy and quick to install

have been told to change from IE to Firefox for ages... could never go back now

How come... if the Firefox programme is so small... does it have these features that internet explorer doesn't?
Possibly because of that hidden autodownloadspyware4u.exe file in the IE directory.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...sageID=1677035
Quote:
The Mozilla Foundation doesn't have the option of refraining from disclosing issues. Firefox is an open source project. That means that when issues are found, it's by the general public, and such issues become public knowledge very quickly. Firefox will never have that problem of later admitting to "undisclosed" issues.

Furthermore, IE is inherently less secure because of its blithe use of security-destroying functionality such as ActiveX and, more importantly, because of its close integration with the operating system. Firefox will never have the problem IE does with every vulnerability becoming many times worse by virtue of the fact that it can more directly affect the OS. Whether or not Firefox will ever match the sheer number of vulnerabilities in IE (which I doubt, since MS routinely decides that vulnerabilities aren't worth fixing), the fact still remains that when a vulnerability in Firefox comes up it never directly compromises the OS itself, whereas with IE it's difficult to find a vulnerability that does not directly compromise the OS.

There are good reasons that people like myself, who do computer security consulting professionally, have better things to say about Firefox than about IE.

By the way, I also did a search on google for why IE is better than Firefox...All I got were websites with the title "Why Firefox is better than IE" with that search. I guess just about everyone disagrees with you mysticalnoobjesus. :cry:
Old 12-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

This thread is obsolete, mystical was banned anywho
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Spike
Discordant

He was? YES THANK U LORD!
Old 12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
mattmeck

wile the last 2 comments dont break rules they are not very *professional* just something to think about...... what if one of his friend come and HAVE to respond to your comment? how is that comment helping the community become more professional, and less flamy / bashy?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:46 PM
x-scythe
Discordant

lol i got deleted :P i didnt even get to read the other comment, whatever
Old 12-14-2004, 03:33 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Getting back on track. I just yesterday had an experience on why Firefox > IE.

My site had some really strange issues that were completely unexplained, firefox, etc displayed it PERFECTLY.

Text was randomly disappearing. the backgrounds were wiping clean as you scrolled the page. It was so freaky.

Anyways, only IE did this. after some research, i found that MS's retarded browser requires you to do a certain "hack" to set some sizes on some divs to 1% (which in normal browsers which display this correctly, fux it, so you have to hide it from all bug IE with a hack)

conclusion. IE sucks, Firefox wins

here's a wonderful link outlining the gayness of IE.
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html
Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 AM
willaien
Fire Beetle

Here is why Firefox is better than IE. Or at least an example of it.

Here we see internet explorer displaying a page. Wow, it screwed it up and is displaying it way too damn wide. What a surprise! Oh, and look at the ads sputtering about on that page.

Here we see firefox (displaying the page correctly!!) AND, with the adblock plugin, I disabled all of those ads. Whatdoyaknow, Firefox has less ads than IE!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM
jammey97
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Firefox's percentage gain helped cut into Microsoft's dominance of the web browser market, cutting its market share to less than 90 per cent. OneStat reported in November that IE's market share had slipped to 88.9 per cent in the third week of November, down five percentage points from its share in May. Mozilla-based browsers, including Firefox, rose to 7.4 per cent, up five percentage points from May.
http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch...9126516,00.htm

10 million downloads in one month. Not everyone might use mozilla or firefox all the time, but they're at least willing to give it a try which means they're willing to admit the possiblity that there's something better than IE.

jam^

--------
Old 02-02-2005, 06:34 PM
massa
Fire Beetle

Wink poop

ahh, the faithfull 'red x'

did you know bill gates is my father? no, really, he is...

ie = some pros and cons
ff = some pros and cons

amazing how it works out