Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

Default Enchanted Realms MMORPG Project Site

I would like to welcome you all to the Project site of, Enchanted Realms-MMORPG.

This is a Brand new game being developed with the torque engine, It is a 3D Fantasy MMORPG, and the first of several that Samas Designs will be developing.

We are currently accepting applications for the following areas...
Product Testers
Python Developers
C++ Developers
3D Character Model Designers
3D Object and Structure Model designers
Content Writers

Simply PM any of the developers your app or post it as a reply to this thread please include examples of previous work on other projects, and what experience you have in the area in which you are applying, and a detailed description of your skills abbilities and why you think you would be an asset to the project
http://enchantedrealms.dyndns.org
Old 06-21-2008, 06:20 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

yep btw small update , there is a playable demo with 2 playable races 11 classes and 4 zones to explore, just to give people a feel for the engine and game
Old 06-21-2008, 01:19 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

We just made a new installer for the demo with a few new zones and a new patcher program ( had to because I forgot to include the models for the elf race when i made the original installer, total brainfart lol) sorry bout that btw for now just use the single player version ( just click single player in game when it loads) the public server is closed for development and testing, but the single player version still has all the same content
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

A Few Updates, I am working on adding some content (several new zones, a couple new quests and some new npcs(perhaps a dragon or two heh).

We are still working on some new models for new playable races. If anyone has any suggestions for new playable races, classes or anything feel free to post them here. Ill be posting a rundown of the game storyline and basic lore soon as I get a chance to write it up.

Also Some positions on the dev team that were left out of the original thread are...

Quest Designers
concept artists
texture artists
Character model animators and riggers
Lore Writers
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

We have moved the site to http://enchantedrealms.xonos.net
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

Default a couple screenies to wet the appitite

Well guys here are a few screenshots for ya's

Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

Ok does anyone have a suggestion which 3d modeling program would be best for making DTS and DIF Models and animations?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

Ok everyone I have hit a bit of a writers block, I cant think of good zone names, and so I am going to put it to the community to pose suggestions, help our dev team out guys lol we need zone names lmao

so any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 AM
trevius
Developer

Names are important, and in creating names, I think it is important to know what the theme of the zone will be. You don't want to name an outside zone similar to East Commons in EQ a name like "The Dungeon of Death" (cheezy example).

So, maybe you should give a quick blurb about each zone before-hand.

A good simple description might be "an outside zone with trees, bears, a lake, some inns, a couple mob camps, and a hill giant" or "A dark dungeon with many tall caverns that houses the evil king of the dwarves". I think those are enough info to actually create a name that might fit the zone. Otherwise, people would just be making stabs in the dark IMO.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

ok well here are the few zones Ive come up with an idea for so far...

One is a mountain area with a valley and in the center of that valley the large castle in the above screenshot

One is a mildly hilly grassy area with a city to the ne some villages sparsly strewn around and a few giants roaming about with various other mobs wandering here and there

the next is a grassland plains type of area i havent decided the content in it yet

another is a desert most likely with undead mobs, zombies skellies and the like floating about

and then there is the island kind of a tropical island no content thought up as of yet

and finally a dwarven city i suppose you could say it is similar to moria in lotr

(obviously im not that good with comming up with the content as of yet lol )
Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

UPDATE

We have added many spells, and items to the game working on factioning its there but is a little buggy, added some tradeskill recipes as well
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
trevius
Developer

I checked this game out last night. It looks pretty nice so far. There are definitely quite a few things that could use work, but nothing that looks to be impossible to get resolved.

If you can get a good team of coders to help develop the game mechanics and UI stuff, and also get the database to work with MySQL, I think this project could potentially turn out really nice. It looks to be at the point that EQEmu was a few years ago. I am sure that if it had the community that EQEmu does to help develop it, that it could be just as good or better than EQEmu.

I think hard work and patience will be the key to getting this game up to speed. The more things that get fixed/developed for it, the more interest you will peak. Eventually if you keep at it, I imagine that people will be flocking to help you out.

The engine looks really nice and seems to be very versatile. I checked on the page for the engine and it looks like quite a variety of games have been created with it. The graphics don't seem to be mindblowing, but I am sure they could easily be on par with what WoW currently has or maybe better. Seeing the examples of what other people have done with it, I can tell that it could certain by made into a really nice looking game all around.

I think an important part will be getting good development tools that your team can use that are preferably free. Once the tools are worked out, it will be a matter of filling up the database and developers working out issues or developing new features to improve gameplay.

As long as you stay dedicated to making this project a success, it looks like there is real potential with it.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

Well i took a couple of days off from it, Ive had a project handed to me related to it for creating content quickly and easiily so ive been getting myself up to speed on that and tweaking it here and there, migrating it to mysql shouldnt be TOO difficult it uses sqllite for python currently so it shouldnt be too difficult.

Now that I am back ontop of it there SHOULD be a new playable demo with several new populated zones available tomorrow barring any unforseen issues that is.

The Way that I have this setup with this content editor anyone can now help create the content even without access tot he sqllite db files so that will be a big improvement.

One thing I didnt mention is that KOTOR Is a big influence in this game, not the story of it obviously but the mechanics of how you play the game will be similar it will be very storyline driven, not just a mindless constant grind.

The gui will be getting a major makover in due time, I wanted to make some decent content for a demo together first and get some of the internal things that i wanted to change changed before i tackled the gui. One thing I feel I should mention in terms of the community I havent considered making this an opensource project due to licensing issues, So giving the source out to people not activly on a "development team" really cant happen. Now that isnt to say that the development team couldnt be huge lol.

the graphics engine acutally supports far better graphics then those I am using and that is something that will be worked on over the course of development.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, like I said there should hopefully be a new playable demo up and running soon with all the added content ive been working on Ill post here when its ready
Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 AM
trevius
Developer

Just a couple small notes I forgot to mention before from my experience in the game last night:

1. I wasn't able to connect to a server so, I had to play it in single player mode. I don't know if that is just the way it is meant to be used for now or not. Just thought I would mention that incase I was actually supposed to be able to get to a server.

2. I tried fighting a mob and actually won the fight, but it had to take at least 10 or 15 minutes lol. After that point, I ran away from anything that agroed me! I realize this is still in early development, so that is probably why the fight was so long, but thought it was worth mentioning. As it is now, I don't think people can really "play" the game until the fight time length is reduced considerably. It took so long that I just tabbed out and did a few other things while waiting for the outcome and checked back every few minutes lol.

I was amazed that the client was only like 30ish MBs lol. I guess that is because there isn't much content yet (zones etc) to make the numbers huge. The with a small download like this and an easy install/setup, I think it is worthwhile for people to at least check it out.