Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

I run vista, xp, redhat enterprise, fedora core wind server 2k3 and 2k8 and yes vista with everything turned off BARE minimum install of ultimate will still take 1 gig of ram for the os reguardless of what is turned on or off, read a book on memory allocation of windows operating systems and then come back and debate with a programmer
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

do you need a screen shot of my task manager lmao.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

what precisly do you think "MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS"

Let me explain it to you that means that is what is required to run the bare minimum version of the given program, if it says 1 gig then thats precisly what a minimum install will dedicated for its use.

Windows takes what it needs and keeps it dedicated for operating system functions.

All the software running might use 256 megs of ram but windows will ALWAYS keep the one gig allocated to itself to ensure the os can actually RUN
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

however, I think you just want to advertise and get publicity for yourserver and get your post count up so I wont be responding anymore, its obvious your a child and I have better things to do then argue with someone who is at best 14 years old
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM
trevius
Developer

I had a feeling you were running Vista. That is probably your biggest problem right there. Not because of the resource hogging that it does (which probably isn't helping), but because the emulator wasn't designed for Vista. Everyone I have heard of running the emulator on Vista has been plagued with problems. I highly suggest you try Windows XP if you are serious about running an emulator server and don't want to go to Linux since you are running a WoW Emu server as well.

Either way, it looks like there is quite a list of reasons for your zone instability issues. If you run on the recommended setup, it would perform much better.

PC with at least 1GB of RAM running Windows XP (or even better, Linux). And running on a wired LAN instead of Wireless will help connection issues considerably (I don't know if you are running wireless, but just stating that fact).

In other words, the original post about making the emulator crash less often isn't really relavant if you run it on the right system. This is all related to your particular setup and not the emu itself. That isn't to say that the emulator couldn't use improvements. It would be nice if it was fully compatible and more stable on any system, but without a large team working to get it that way, it isn't likely to happen soon.

And again, you should adjust your attitude a bit IMO. There really is no need for getting upset. No one ever said you have a shit laptop, but we are stating the facts and actually trying to give you real information about why you are seeing the issues you are. Would you rather we all lie and say your server setup is godly and that the emulator sucks ass at stability? I for one am trying to help you with good information, so being rude is uncalled for.

As for the other dispute going on with you and LordRathgil, it seems like you started that one, but he definitely could be taking the high road and just ignoring your comments.

I hate seeing threads get locked over stupid things like this. Especially if they have good information in them. Maybe someone else running their server on a laptop in the future will find this thread and get some good info out of it, but it is too bad they will have to see the drama as well. Getting a thread closed almost always sucks, because it doesn't allow issues to get resolved fully without starting a new one.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

naw he started it with a PM..............
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

but i have considered puting linux back on the laptop wouldent be the first time. eqemu and wowemu will both run fine in linux id just have to dump both databases and the website and move it all over.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

scuse me but you told me ....

Quote:
you need to just shut your stupid face you dont know shit about shit the laptop is perfectly fine ive had 30 players on b4 with no lag and just cus its a laptop dont mean i take it with me i have 8 computers. its been running as a server for over a year and its still fine the laptop controls eqemu wowemu my website and mysql and its got lotz to spare.
soon as you insulted me you got the pm because thats the place for conflict not on the public forums
Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

you started it when you PM thinking i was trying keep my thred at the top of the list.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Take it to PM if you're going to flame. Thread locked.
Closed Thread