Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:10 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Default New Linux User

I finally got down to playin with Linux again. I am now the proud runner of openSUSE 10.2 on my shiny new Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop. Its a great feeling because of all the added things you must do to get your hardware working properly on Linux, plus Im no longer bound by Microsofts "Use Us or Die" ideal.

Anyhow, I am doing a blog on my adventures into Open Source land over at blogger, and I will also have me a website set up at awardspace for all the stuff I do around the internet. Anyhow, if anyone is interested, I should have things going in a couple days. I am going to be covering the steps to make a fully functioning linux os on this lappy of mine. (my bugs were wireless card and IPV6 issues).

Its just a cool time right now as I never have had this much fun in a while and I just cant contain myself....

(Cool things to look out for)

WineHQ and Cedega Trials - Wonder if my cool Windows things will work now.
Dual Boot Pleasures or Pains - I still have Vista Utl on Just in Case
Which Linux Distro Is the Best - Personal Opinon of course (Kubuntu, Ubuntu, or other KDE/Gnome types. I have to have a desktop)

And more.....

EDIT

Sorry about bumping the EQ2 Emu out of the main slot, but I have a feeling it will see much more attention than me so it will be back in easy view at the forums front page anyhow.

Last edited by techguy84; 05-05-2007 at 11:13 PM..
Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy84
Which Linux Distro Is the Best - Personal Opinon of course (Kubuntu, Ubuntu, or other KDE/Gnome types. I have to have a desktop)
I have tried several different distros of Linux including Mandrake (now Mandriva), Redhat, Fedora, Debian, SuSE to name a few and I must say once I started using Gentoo I cannot go back to any other distro, I tried when Debians latest version came out, but I just could not move away from Gentoo. As for a Windows Manager I have played around with both KDE and Gnome but I prefer the simplicity of Fluxbox. The combination of Gentoo with Fluxbox works especially well on older laptops with low resources.

Quote:
Its a great feeling because of all the added things you must do to get your hardware working properly on Linux
I would have to agree with you 100% on this though. Once you get everything working properly and you look back at where you started you can not help but feel proud of it.

Well that is my 2 cents on the subject.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:29 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I'm a big Fedora Core fan. Still mostly using FC4, though I have tried 5 and 6. They seem too "fluffy" in the GUI, so I use command line. Plus, FC4 seems to be a snap for compiling all I work with.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

For servers I agree with Sesmar and go with Gentoo. PEQ and my internal test both run it without X and I couldn't be happier. Gentoo is simply awesome because you could very easily build your own work environment from the ground up.

Most of my boxes are Fedora (4 or 6) and they are used for development, some light server stuff, and even some personal desktop work. Basically, I use it as an all in one work horse. People complain that Fedora is bloated, but that is completely untrue if you only select the packages you want/need during your initial install. If you do that, not only with Fedora be as sleek, quick, and powerful as other forms of Linux, but also most of the stuff you will need is already installed, waiting for you. I once had a Fedora install that weighed in at 98MB and had everything I needed for that box. Bloated my ass

Being a musician, the fresh release of Ubuntu Studio has blown me away. I am finding that not only can I use my laptop for audio work without having to shell out thousands, but Ubuntu is also a very nice desktop environment. It isn't as good as Gentoo or Fedora when it comes to server based applications, but it crushes both in regards to my desktop needs (audio work, games, light development, and general internet stuff)
Old 05-25-2007, 11:42 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude
Being a musician
I always knew I liked you for some reason, Cavedude. 30 year veteran composer-gone-technogeek, myself. But to the topic, when I say Fedora is "fluffy", I meant the GUI is a little too soft for my taste. Round corners. Clunky menus. Give me a "$" and vi anyday.

I'll have to check out this software you mentioned. I have not once considered Linux as a solution in my studio. I barely tolerate XP (wishing for a mac)
Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Well, I looked into other distro's but for me, I am coming from Windows and I dont want to mess with the command line a whole heck of a lot as I am not even the slightest fimilar at the moment with it. I am learning, that is for sure, but its a big change from the streamlined things in Windows.

Examples = I could list a ton, but any New or expierence use knows what I am talking about. The simple matter is that until linux has a good crowed and its worthwile for companies, its still rough for the basic end user.

The fact that 99% of the time you must compile your own programs because of how varied out all the different linux distros are. With Windows, the API has pretty much been the same for the past 3 iterations of windows so there is a lot of cross compatibilty. With linux, no one distro is the same and you must install dependencies right and left to make apps compile, and then function properly.

If there was a set guideline to each distrobution that would create rules for what should be automattically installed, it would be eaiser for the end user, but then there would be tons of bloated linux installs and then other people would suffer.

Anyhow, I could be entirely wrong, but I got Beryl going finally without errors, but I am back on windows for the time being since I cant get a snes emulator to compile so I can play me some Zelda,,,, Sigh.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:31 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

Quote:
The fact that 99% of the time you must compile your own programs because of how varied out all the different linux distros are. With Windows, the API has pretty much been the same for the past 3 iterations of windows so there is a lot of cross compatibilty. With linux, no one distro is the same and you must install dependencies right and left to make apps compile, and then function properly.

If there was a set guideline to each distrobution that would create rules for what should be automattically installed, it would be eaiser for the end user, but then there would be tons of bloated linux installs and then other people would suffer.

Anyhow, I could be entirely wrong, but I got Beryl going finally without errors, but I am back on windows for the time being since I cant get a snes emulator to compile so I can play me some Zelda,,,, Sigh.
That is what I love so much about Gentoo, everything is compiled from source in the beginning. Using their portage system with emerge you can install thousands of apps from source with custom use flags and it will install all the dependencies as well. You want a SNES emulator, both ZSnes and snes9x are in portage for Gentoo. Now, it might take longer in order to install some programs since you are compiling from source but it is worth it to me. I know you said you are a beginner but with Gentoo's live CD installer it is just as easy to install as any other distro; however, if you really want to learn something about your system do a stage 3 install following handbook it is well worth the time it takes.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Sesmar's making me want to try out Gentoo - I use Mandriva and usually get things running (sooner or later).
I have most the emulators running - one great emulator is called "Mednafen" if you can get that compiled, it runs things like TX16, NES, Gameboy, etc.
http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/

here's some places I use when I search for RPMS;

http://dir.filewatcher.com/packages-directory.html

http://rpm.pbone.net/
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 AM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
however, if you really want to learn something about your system do a stage 3 install following handbook it is well worth the time it takes.
Hehehe, I laughed when I read this. This is the kinda stuff that makes me cry when I see it. Like all the little readmes bundeld with various linux sources for programs I use. Things like

Code:
"If you get errors your missing the gogogadgetlib.tar.gz.rpm.deb.qvc.rst.abc Stupid Noob go download it"
What the hell is a gogogadgetlib and where do I get it. Futhermore gogogadeget doest have a front end and the --help or -help. or --OMG commands only show me a bunch of stuff that makes me spend 9 more hours on a website forums using the search button because I am too scared to acutally post something.

It boils down to the fact that I am a hardware techguy, not a software techguy. I get dumbfounded quick when it comes down to anything that is naked and in the fetal posistion and I must compile it.

Code:
"Error 103adb34951230 - This is mostly do to the fact that you have abolutly no idea what your doing. Go back to Windows"

Of course this is somewhat of a dramatization, but you kinda see what I mean.

Anyhow, I am going to take a look at gentoo and see what its all about. Wish me luck.