Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:50 PM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Default Hill Giant Sounds?

I recall back in the early days aka 1999 of Everquest that the large humanoids (Hill Giants and maybe Cyclops) had a footstep sound effect. Today, playing on a newly installed EQemu server and latest PEQ database, the hill giants and cyclops move about silently. Is there a way to regain the old foot step sounds the hill giants and possibly cyclops made in those early days?

I remember when I was first out in West Karana back in 1999. I had no clue WTF I was doing. It was pitch black as it was the middle of the night. I knew about the Hill Giant in the zone, but never saw him. Then I hear a thump... and again... and again. I froze scared to hell that he would aggro on me. I didn't know which way to turn and run. What if I ended up running right into him? After all I couldn't see shit in that darkness. Then my decision was made for me. The thump....thump....thump of the giant's steps got louder and faster... thump...thump..thump.BANG...CRACK... ARGH....DEAD! That was that, but the fear instilled in me by just those simple giant sized footsteps made that encounter all the more memorable, and til this day I still remember it and can see it in my mind as if it were only yesterday. I hope that may be possible again with the latest EQemu and PEQ database.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

There was a past issue with those sounds, which was caused by the npc flymode defaulting to greater than 0. (off the ground). In the npc_types table there is a field for flymode (now), but I noticed it was set to -1 by default. I changed them all to 0, and all sounds are there, including the hill giant stomp, lol
Easy way I did it, run this query - UPDATE npc_types SET flymode = 0 WHERE flymode < 0;
Old 08-22-2020, 11:53 PM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Thanks that worked!
Old 09-27-2020, 08:20 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Hey I have updated my hill giant to flymode=1 but they still don't stomp =(
I am on ROF client and latest DB
Old 09-29-2020, 12:20 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God