Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Default Need help on a turn in

I'm hoping I can get some insight on why this script is not working correctly. I ran in through a perl command line with no syntax problems.

Quote:
# test script for hand in of bone chips for exp, faction, and cash
sub EVENT_ITEM
{
if(plugin::check_handin{\%itemcount,13073 => 4})
{
quest::givecash("0","5","0","0");
quest::exp(1000);
quest::faction(19927,1);
quest::ding();
quest::say("You have done well, $name! These indeed are a token of friendship with our realm. But will your heart remain true through days of darkness? I urge you, continue these deeds. And may you continue to become a trusted friend of our realm!");
}
else
{
quest::say("I have no use for these, $name. I require four remains of our enemies");
plugin::return_items(\%itemcount);
}
}
At this point the turn-in works as far as it goes. That is, when I give 4 bone chips to the npc, they are accepted, and I receive the right amount of exp, cash, and faction. However, when I test it with other items--or with fewer than 4 of the right items--those items are accepted as well, and I still receive exp, cash and faction. Because all items are accepted the script never gets to the return_items line, so I cannot tell yet whether that part is working. I've looked at several examples on these forums of the check_handin line, and mine seems to be right. But the variables are being ignored. Any clue why? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

if(plugin::check_handin{\%itemcount,13073 => 4})

swap curly brakets for parentesis here

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount,13073 => 4))
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

That did the trick Thanks!

I had actually (briefly) considered that possibility, but I had seen
examples from others using the curly brackets and thought it must be a valid usage.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

np
the bracket prabobly work in some cases, but parentesis work always
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Okay, here's another one, then:

Quote:
sub EVENT_ITEM
{
if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount,13732 == 1))
{
quest::givecash("0","0","0","5000");
quest::exp(3500000);
quest::faction(19927,4000);
quest::say("Well done, $name! We now have the item. Yet it is certain the enemy knows of our plans; even now he is planning his attack. We must muster our defenses and set reinforcements on our [cities].");
$client->Message(15, "You receive 5000 platinum pieces");
$client->Message(15, "You receive 3500000 exp points");
$client->Message(15, "Your faction standing with the Realm could not get any better!");
}
if($text=~/cities/i)
{
quest::say("Who knows where he may strike first? Go now, $name, and make preparations for war. Take the Interior Road to the Palace, and take word to the Captain of our good fortune--and of the threat that follows. He will know what to do. I will keep watch here the time being, but will make way there if it [comes to that].");
}
if($text=~/comes to that/i)
{
quest::say("$name, listen to me carefully. You must take word to the Captain of the Guard. He knows nothing of this find, and very soon it may be too late. The Palace lies defenseless, and is vulnerable to the enemy's attack. The fate of the Palace is in your hands, $name. If you do not go quickly, who can tell what [fate] awaits them?");
}
if($text=~/fate/i)
{
quest::say("There is little time to explain it all now, Go! I have made you a full citizen of the Realm and a knight of the Palace. On this journey you bear the authority of the king himself! Go; and may the blessing of the Realm go with you! My trusted advisor will take care of matters here.");
}
else
{
quest::say("I have no use for this, $name. Do not trouble me again--unless you bring the item!");
}
}
Each time I give the item to the npc, he gives it back and defaults to the return_item text. I have triple-checked the item #, and it is correct. I have tried a different operator (< 2 instead of == 1) with the same result. I have tried placing the initial quest::say before all the reward lines, with the same result. I have run the code through a Perl cmd line and it reported no syntax problems.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
trevius
Developer

Try the following. You forgot to put in an EVENT_SAY section:

Code:
sub EVENT_ITEM {

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount,13732 == 1)) {

quest::say("Well done, $name! We now have the item. Yet it is certain the enemy knows of our plans; even now he is planning his attack. We must muster our defenses and set reinforcements on our [cities].");
    $client->Message(15, "Your faction standing with the Realm could not get any better!"); }

else {
    quest::say("I have no use for this, $name. Do not trouble me again--unless you bring the item!");
    plugin::return_items(\%itemcount); }

}

Sub EVENT_SAY {

if($text=~/cities/i) {

quest::say("Who knows where he may strike first? Go now, $name, and make preparations for war. Take the Interior Road to the Palace, and take word to the Captain of our good fortune--and of the threat that follows. He will know what to do. I will keep watch here the time being, but will make way there if it [comes to that]."); }

if($text=~/comes to that/i) {

quest::say("$name, listen to me carefully. You must take word to the Captain of the Guard. He knows nothing of this find, and very soon it may be too late. The Palace lies defenseless, and is vulnerable to the enemy's attack. The fate of the Palace is in your hands, $name. If you do not go quickly, who can tell what [fate] awaits them?"); }

if($text=~/fate/i) {

quest::say("There is little time to explain it all now, Go! I have made you a full citizen of the Realm and a knight of the Palace. On this journey you bear the authority of the king himself! Go; and may the blessing of the Realm go with you! My trusted advisor will take care of matters here."); }

}
Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Thanks Trevius. I made the change, but he's still returning the item. I'm just learning Perl, so I appreciate your patience with this. Fyi, I already have one EVENT_SAY section that comes before the EVENT_ITEM section (yours would be a second one that comes after). I didn't include it in the first post because it was working fine on it's own. The only section I'm having trouble with is the turn in. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 PM
trevius
Developer

You only want to have 1 EVENT_SAY in your quest. Put all of the ones in the script I posted into your pre-existing one and remove the one I put in.

You have to keep certain things like that completely separated for a reason, otherwise they will get messed up as you are now seeing.

Anytime you have an "if" statement, whatever it is if'ing on is what section it should go in. So, if's on text should go in EVENT_SAY, and if's on turn ins should go in EVENT_ITEM, and if's on timers should go in EVENT_TIMER, etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Okay, here's the entire script, annotated by me. Maybe this will help.

Quote:
# player hails npc. If player is carrying item #13732, npc offers to take item.
# Otherwise, npc wants nothing to do with player.

sub EVENT_SAY
{
if($text=~/hail/i)
{
if(plugin::check_hasitem($client, 13732))
{
quest::say("What is this? You bring good tidings indeed, $name! Give me the item.");
}
else
{
quest::say("Do you not see I have enough [trouble] already? Your welcome here is doubtful");
}
if($text=~/trouble/i)
{
quest::say("I sense my will is being bent by some [evil].");
}
if($text=~/evil/i)
{
quest::emote("mumbles inaudibly; his eyes stare blankly");
}
}
}

# above script works well independently. If the player has the item, the npc responds favorably.

sub EVENT_ITEM
{
{
$client->Message(15, "Your faction standing with the Realm could not get any better!");
}
else
{
}
}

# in the above script, the player hands in item. If wrong item, it's handed back. If correct item, npc doles out cash, exp, and faction. This is the part that is failing. Below is the section you added (or rather modified from my original):

Sub EVENT_SAY
{
if($text=~/cities/i)
{
quest::say("Who knows where he may strike first? Go now, $name, and make preparations for war. Take the Interior Road to the Palace, and take word to the Captain of our good fortune--and of the threat that follows. He will know what to do. I will keep watch here the time being, but will make way there if it [comes to that].");
}
if($text=~/comes to that/i)
{
quest::say("$name, listen to me carefully. You must take word to the Captain of the Guard. He knows nothing of this find, and very soon it may be too late. The Palace lies defenseless, and is vulnerable to the enemy's attack. The fate of the Palace is in your hands, $name. If you do not go quickly, who can tell what [fate] awaits them?");
}
if($text=~/fate/i)
{
quest::say("There is little time to explain it all now, Go! I have made you a full citizen of the Realm and a knight of the Palace. On this journey you bear the authority of the king himself! Go; and may the blessing of the Realm go with you! My trusted advisor will take care of matters here.");
}
}
I removed the final EVENT_SAY section and tested the script without it, and the npc still returns the item. It makes no sense to me. He recognizes the item in the hail during the first section ((hasitem), but doesn't seem to recognize it when I actually give it to him.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

i think you have an icorect follow up of elses and ifs in first part

there can only be ONE else inside a single if and i belvie you have incorect open closed brakets

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY 
{  - OPENED
if($text=~/hail/i)
{ - OPENED
if(plugin::check_hasitem($client, 13732))
{ - OPENED
quest::say("What is this? You bring good tidings indeed, $name! Give me the item.");
}  - CLOSED
else
{  - OPENED
quest::say("Do you not see I have enough [trouble] already? Your welcome here is doubtful");
}  - CLOSED

- MISSING CLOSEING BRAKET HERE

if($text=~/trouble/i)
{
quest::say("I sense my will is being bent by some [evil].");
}
if($text=~/evil/i)
{
quest::emote("mumbles inaudibly; his eyes stare blankly");
}
}

}  - WRONGLY PLACED BRAKET
Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

I made your change, Chaos, and (oddly enough) it made no difference in the quest (not sure why--you'd think placement of brackets would matter). I'm making live changes directly to the quest/zone folder, and I "reloadquest" after each change. As I mentioned above, that part of the script has always worked fine. It fails only once it calls the EVENT_ITEM script.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Okay, I have been experimenting with this code, and got it to (semi-) work. I replaced:

sub EVENT_ITEM {
{

with . . .

sub EVENT_ITEM {
if($item,13732)
{

I though, as long as I have only one item to turn in, maybe I won't need the count variable. I have no idea whether this is "sound" from a scripting standpoint, but the npc now takes the item and rewards me with the right exp, plat and faction. But now he'll also take just any item and give the same reward. Any way to modify this so only that item is recognized?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

oh yeah make sure than you only have ONE EVENT_SAY section as Trevies pointed out

and to be sure
you need to place a closing curcly braket when I said
and remove one where i said
Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

try this.
replace

with

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount,13732 => 1))
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
try this.
replace

with

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount,13732 => 1))
Yay! That did it! It's now accepting only item 13732. Since that item is lore, the ">" operator becomes moot. (But why doesn't == work?)

Thanks for all the help. Next up; mob spawns triggered by the same turn-in. Going to try my hand at solo-ing the quest:spawn feature, but I may be back. Thanks again.