Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
trevius
Developer

Was about to paste this when you apparently resolved your issues. Your quest still had the brackets in the wrong lines for your hasitem check and text responses to work properly. I adjusted that, I also did the => fix, and I removed all of the ;s and --s in your quest::say's, because you have to be careful when using certain characters in there, and I haven't personally used either of those in that way. So, I thought it might have something to do with your issue, but apparently not.

Here is the final quest after my edits:

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY {

if($text=~/hail/i) {
    if(plugin::check_hasitem($client, 13732)) {
      quest::say("What is this? You bring good tidings indeed, $name! Give me the item."); }

else  {
      quest::say("Do you not see I have enough [trouble] already? Your welcome here is doubtful"); }
  }

if($text=~/trouble/i) {
    quest::say("I sense my will is being bent by some [evil]."); }

if($text=~/evil/i) {
    quest::emote("mumbles inaudibly and his eyes stare blankly"); }

if($text=~/cities/i) {
    quest::say("Who knows where he may strike first? Go now, $name, and make preparations for war. Take the Interior Road to the Palace, and take word to the Captain of our good fortune, and of the threat that follows. He will know what to do. I will keep watch here the time being, but will make way there if it [comes to that]."); }

if($text=~/comes to that/i) {
    quest::say("$name, listen to me carefully. You must take word to the Captain of the Guard. He knows nothing of this find, and very soon it may be too late. The Palace lies defenseless, and is vulnerable to the enemy's attack. The fate of the Palace is in your hands, $name. If you do not go quickly, who can tell what [fate] awaits them?"); }

if($text=~/fate/i) {
    quest::say("There is little time to explain it all now, Go! I have made you a full citizen of the Realm and a knight of the Palace. On this journey you bear the authority of the king himself! Go! And may the blessing of the Realm go with you! My trusted advisor will take care of matters here."); }

}

sub EVENT_ITEM {

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount, 13732 => 1)) {
    quest::givecash("0","0","0","5000");
    quest::exp(3500000);
    quest::faction(19927,4000);
    quest::ding();
    quest::say("Well done, $name! We now have the item. Yet it is certain the enemy knows of our plans. Even now he is planning his attack. We must muster our defenses and set reinforcements on our [cities].");
    $client->Message(15, "You receive 5000 platinum pieces");
    $client->Message(15, "You receive 3500000 exp points");
    $client->Message(15, "Your faction standing with the Realm could not get any better!"); }

else {
    quest::say("I have no use for this, $name. Do not trouble me again.  Unless you bring the item!");
    plugin::return_items(\%itemcount); }

}
Notice that I also changed the format on how the quest is written so that it is easier to read. It is a good idea to write in a way similar to that so you can find mistakes quicker.

And, whenever I am working on a quest, I remove 1 section at a time until I narrow it down to a certain section and then I remove a line at a time until it works. Then add them in again until it breaks and fix the line that is causing the break to happen.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiv View Post
Yay! That did it! It's now accepting only item 13732. Since that item is lore, the ">" operator becomes moot. (But why doesn't == work?)

Thanks for all the help. Next up; mob spawns triggered by the same turn-in. Going to try my hand at solo-ing the quest:spawn feature, but I may be back. Thanks again.

I belive its not the operator you thing it is.
rather than "greater or equal" it reads something like "fetch from item slot"
- basilcy its not an operator at all (from my logical understanding)

regading mob spawns. here is an easy sample for you to work with pulled from one of my quests

Code:

sub EVENT_ITEM 
{

if(plugin::check_handin(\%itemcount, 1027 => 1))
	{
	quest::say("Now that you got back my magical tome, I have no more use for you. Sorry dear...");

#spawns 4 KOS mobs around you

my $x;
	my $y;
	my $z;
	my $h;

$x = $npc->GetX();
	$y = $npc->GetY();
	$z = $npc->GetZ();
	$h = $npc->GetHeading();

quest::spawn2(58012,0,0,$x+5,$y+5,$z,$h);
	quest::spawn2(58012,0,0,$x-5,$y-5,$z,$h);
	quest::spawn2(58012,0,0,$x+5,$y-5,$z,$h);
	quest::spawn2(58012,0,0,$x-5,$y+5,$z,$h);
	}

else 
	{
	plugin::return_items(\%itemcount);

}

}

Enjoy =)
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Thanks Trevius. I replaced my current version with yours just to be on the safe side, so your work wasn't in vain. It also helped me to see a better way to format. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
I belive its not the operator you thing it is.
rather than "greater or equal" it reads something like "fetch from item slot"
- basilcy its not an operator at all (from my logical understanding)
That's good to know. I just assumed it was a "greater than or equal to" operator, but could not figure out why the = comes before the >. That explains it.

Quote:
regading mob spawns. here is an easy sample for you to work with pulled from one of my quests
Very helpful. I will use this as a template. Thanks. What's the logic behind using quest::spawn2 rather than quest::spawn?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Chaos, I modified your spawn script and everything works great. I now have the first part of a larger npc war script finished. Just seeing all those guards spawn to reinforce the kingdom when I turned in the item to the king brought a tear to my eye

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiv View Post
Chaos, I modified your spawn script and everything works great. I now have the first part of a larger npc war script finished. Just seeing all those guards spawn to reinforce the kingdom when I turned in the item to the king brought a tear to my eye

Thanks again for all the help!
np
Old 06-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Okay, one thing I didn't expect was for the newly spawned mobs to disappear when I log off. If I want them to remain spawned until they are killed by a player raid or an npc war, is there a way to do that? The goal of the npc spawn is to provide reinforcements against members of another faction coming in and taking over the city in an attempt to retake the item I just turned in to the king. If they despawn when I log from my account, then the quest is functionally useless to my storyline. I want to make it so that they remain there to guard the realm against players of a different faction who are looking for the item I just turned into the king. If another faction does come in, kills all the npcs (except for the king), loots a specified item from one of the named npcs, and turns it into to the king, the king then yields the item they came for (via another turn-in), and all his reinforcements despawn, never to spawn again until and unless someone else turns in the same item to him.

How do I make the spawns stay put? Would that be a quest::spawn rather than a quest::spawn2? Something else? Also, once I have them there, I want to have the second item turn-in trigger their despawn. Any ideas on this?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

the server has no way to store any data about something what is not a part of default spawn DB

you may want to turn on the Persistant State rule in Variables section of the DB. but no garantee that server will record and reproduce CURRENT state for mosb that are not part of DB spawns

basicly if you looking for soemthing like a GM event where mobs become persistant, you want to actualy add them to regular spawn tables and turn then on and off as requred.

of course it would have to be done by hand, cuase there no conection betwen quest scripts and DB

NOTE: once Persistant State has been turned on ANY changes you do Db will auto crash the server untill Persistant State turned off.

As far as despawning goes, there is a comand quest::depop

basicly once item turned in to quest NPC, npc will need to send a SIGNAL code command to each npc you want to dispawn, and each of those npcs will execute depop comand
Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
you may want to turn on the Persistant State rule in Variables section of the DB. but no garantee that server will record and reproduce CURRENT state for mosb that are not part of DB spawns
Actually, this works very well. I turned persistent state on, did the quest, did a #zsave (not sure if that matters, but I did it anyway), logged out, shut down world, came back in and the mobs were still there.
Quote:
As far as despawning goes, there is a comand quest::depop. basicly once item turned in to quest NPC, npc will need to send a SIGNAL code command to each npc you want to dispawn, and each of those npcs will execute depop comand
Thanks; I'll give this a try.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

well its nice to know that Persistant State rule works like this .
Rememebr however - you will not be able to edit DB as long as it turned on.

I mean you can edit it, but then the server won't boot up cuase Persistant State requres for Db to remain IDENTICAL to what it was before server was shot down in order to restore it to exactly how it was

I once did that.. I spend 3 days trying to figure out why server is not booting up anymore =)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
well its nice to know that Persistant State rule works like this . Rememebr however - you will not be able to edit DB as long as it turned on. I mean you can edit it, but then the server won't boot up cuase Persistant State requres for Db to remain IDENTICAL to what it was before server was shot down in order to restore it to exactly how it was
Odd. I have been able to make changes to the DB with this on. I changed the zone points in the zone_points table for a custom zone I have, and it works just fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

well from what i know its not all parts of the DB its some parts which would have a direct impact of persistant data stored - like walking grid for a mob