Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

Default What is the latest build for windows?

I've been playing for a week or so on a server I created.

It seems in other areas on this forum, people point out some bugs, I see things about maybe it's fixed in the latest build, or maybe its not.

I used the all in one script, and it worked great... Boom 5 minutes, I've got a server running on windows. AWESOME!

I saw commands I don't think I have ^sow sow... I see people saying they fixed the bot despawn bug, and other annoyances.

Yet, I can't seem to get those things working for me. :-/

So, what is the latest build on windows, when was it compiled, and how do I know if I'm running a server with those fixes or not?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Uleat
Developer

The installer uses precompiled binaries, both for normal and bot-enabled servers.

I'm not sure how old the 'normal' binaries are..but, I know the bot-enabled ones need to be updated.

I'm in the middle of working on some bot-related stuffs and, when I finish, I'll see about updating those binaries for the installer.

You can also setup locally to compile your own binaries. Just follow the cmake, visual studio and git instructions found in the setup guide:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...Guide&frm=Main

The rest of the server (mysql, perl, etc...) is already setup from the installer..as is the server directory structure.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

I just used the install script on linux... It looks like that one does builds... or am I reading it wrong?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 PM
ZombieSoul
Sarnak

You are correct, but it's not the install script that does the building, the eqemu_server.pl that the install script runs is where all of that happens. The Perl script will download binaries for windows or compile them for Linux and gives you some management options if you run the script outside of the installer like database backup.

Edit: But it doesn't build the login server by default on Linux, I had to run cmake to set it to build the login server on my linux host.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

I'm getting out of my depth here...

I'm no developer... Sure I can write a 1/2 crappy Minecraft Mod, but I'm not getting very far on this one. So pardon the questions.

I'm JUST trying to compile new source using the instructions posted, yet I can't download the old versions listed. (microsoft likes new stuff)

So I'm wondering if I'm hosed or not. Also my CMAKE is failing, and all I did was clone the source, and download the dependencies. .. :-/

Also, assuming I do get this built correctly... i haven't given up yet... Do I need to modify my existing SQL database. I don't know where I'm coming from version wise, nor where I'm going to, so I don't know if I also have to update a bunch of tables.

(This is why I ran the all in one installer. ... )
Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 PM
ZombieSoul
Sarnak

I haven't tested this but I believe the script for Linux pulls the latest source, try copying the eqemu_server.pl into an empty directory and running it, when it comes up type new_server and at the end when it gives you a menu type setup_bots and test to see if that works for you
Old 02-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

I'm about 1/2 thru the process in both cases... Still messing around. I think maybe my cMake problem is, I didn't have visual studios installed yet. So I'm installing 2015 VS FREE. If I'm still stuck after that... It will be time to try and source an old copy.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

Another 30 minutes of digging around...

Apparently, just installing Visual Studios isn't enough. You have to try and create a project with VC++ get get the compilers downloaded and installed, hence CMAKE won't build..

On the bright side, I've spent the last hour swearing at my computer, I do enjoy that part of the process.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

HA! That was it. I had to try and create a C++ project with the 8.1 SDK blah blah blah, another 20 minutes of cursing while it did it's thing, and now CMAKE is 100%

Now I shall try and compile this, and see if I break everything!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:28 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

========== Build: 11 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Booo, time to sort that out.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

don't build x64 if you have x86 perl...

========== Build: 13 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Uleat
Developer

If you build a second time, a lot of of messaging will be skipped since parts of the program are already built.

This will help in finding out what actually failed and where. (You can post those logs if you like.)

EDIT: That'll do it

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

Now, how do I get the bleeding edge builds???? Where the bots don't depop everytime someone zones in.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 AM
Random Gamer
Fire Beetle

That last post may have come across snotty. Not my intention, I appreciate you're reading and helping.

What is this building, with the default? The stable branch, the master branch? I'm not sure how to select what branch to build, because the GIT looks the same for each, so I assume it's some other setting.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 AM
ZombieSoul
Sarnak

git pull should work
open command prompt to the source directory(if you installed git during all of this)
you should be able just to type git pull to update your local